Honeymoon Discussions

What are your vacation plans?!?

I haven't seen a post for a while about peoples vacation plans. I love hearing what the other Honeymoon Board people are up to. It makes me dream up new ideas and places to go and I love that everyone on here can ask advice about specific destinations and there is such a variety from budget friendly to adventure trips, etc. Anyway, the other day I emailed my husband from work my 'plans' for what trips we are taking over the next few years. He told me I was being a little too ambitious. Probably true, but just let a girl dream!

I would just love to see what you ladies have planned and where you want to go next!

Here is my list:

Vegas (April)
Pensacola, Florida/New Orleans (September)

2014:
Spring Small trip? In the US probably, Maybe Canda? Aye!
Japan fall/winter 2014 depending on opening of HP World at Universal Studios

2015:
Italy?!? Summer. (Maybe switch Japan and Italy depending on Universal Opening?)
California? Maybe! Depending on HP opening at Universal.

Maybe Ireland?
Maybe another small trip? North East, North West

African Safari!

China. Hong Kong/Beijing

New Zealand and Australia

I am a huge nerd. And my husband and I have a goal to go to all the Disney Parks. (And I want to go to all the Harry Potter parks). So in the meantime we are planning on taking a couple of great trips around those goals. And hopefully we can succeed in making it to all the parks. :-)

I would love to hear what you ladies have planned! Thanks. Laughing

Re: What are your vacation plans?!?

• I had big plans for this year, but we've decided to build a new home, so not sure what will happen now :)

2013:
    Cook Islands
    Kauai
    Jersey Shore (home for me!)
    TBD based on the home situation

2014:
    All I know right now is we're shooting for New Zealand and Lizard Island Australia (where we HMed). This trip alone will probably eat up all of our vacation time

Everything else is TBD, but I am shooting for a 2017/5 year anniversary trip to return to the Seychelles, but this time, add in Abu Dhabi and the Maldives!

• WOOT! You're coming to me! I'm in Pensacola :o) Just moved here. 
    Anyway.. We can't think that car in advance since H is Navy. It's just not possible. 

But this year: 

April: Grand Cayman
             Backpacking the Smokies in GA/TN

May: Seattle (home)

June: Finishing up Seattle
              Monterey, CA (my mom and sister live there, it's *kinda* "home")

Sept: Backpacking the Smokies probably on the GA/AL border

Oct: Caribbean cruise (tentative). H will get it approved this week and we can book it. 

November: Savannah, GA (H's bestie is getting married. WOOT for an excuse to vaca!) 

December: Back to Seattle for Christmas with the family
                      Chattanooga, TN for New Years with H's fam. 

And another tentative cruise in Jan/Feb
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_what-are-your-vacation-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:35426661-8eac-4e76-bdcf-27fa0867a67dPost:71992846-78bc-45a0-a810-e3cb3406fc43">Re: What are your vacation plans?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]WOOT! You're coming to me! I'm in Pensacola :o) Just moved here. 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]
    My friend moved down there last year and she is getting married. Her fiance is from there. She technically lives in Milton. I am pretty stoked. Then we are all going to New Orleans for their honeymoon. We already had a trip planned for down in NOLA and they said they wanted to come with. Then they scheduled their wedding and they still want to go. (I get a pretty sweet hotel discount so it is an added bonus)

Your time sounds like a ton of fun though! I have never really been to the rockys.

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    This year: Arizona, Florida x2, Aruba and Seattle
    2014: Sweden, Norway and Russia.
    2015: I cant think that far ahead but made Vietnam, England/ Ireland, or Greece
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • dazy- forgot to add I'll be in Nebraska for Christmas! DH grew up in Hastings, so we go there every year! I don't get to Omaha very much when we're there. DH is going to be in Omaha in a few weeks giving a presentation at UNO.

• edited March 2013
    That's awesome! Eh, Milton and Pensacola are basically the same thing. :o) I say I'm from "Seattle" because people don't know the towns in Washington State :P 

We moved here in January and did Mardi Gras in NOLA. It was pretty amazing! Definitely a great check off the bucket list, but NOLA has sooo much to offer, I can't wait to go back and tour more (that, and they have a Lululemon... haha.)  THe hotels that are right downtown enable you to just walk everywhere, which is fabulous! Do you already have the hotel booked? We stayed at the Wyndham which, while amazingly located, I do not recommend. 

I look forward to the different backpacking here. I'm used to crazy extreme backpacking in the Pacific Northwest, so it'll be nice to get in greater mileage due to calmer weather and trails. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_what-are-your-vacation-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:35426661-8eac-4e76-bdcf-27fa0867a67dPost:c828fe9b-b54c-4590-8c71-e5ff470c02d6">Re: What are your vacation plans?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]dazy- forgot to add I'll be in Nebraska for Christmas! DH grew up in Hastings, so we go there every year! I don't get to Omaha very much when we're there. DH is going to be in Omaha in a few weeks giving a presentation at UNO.
    Posted by Jells2dot0[/QUOTE]
    My husband goes to UNO! What is he giving a presentation on?

You should try really hard to make it to the Omaha Zoo. It is awesome. I actually live across the river in Council Bluffs, Iowa. But we love Omaha. I think we will move one day but it is such a great city. Do you guys usually fly into Omaha or Lincoln?

• This is our hope!

May 2013 - Honeymoon to Jamaica!

August 2014 - Europe - either Budapest or Barcelona

May or July 2015 - Instanbul

Thanksgiving or xmas 2015 - Cruise out of San Juan

Summer 2016 - Peru to climb Macchu Picchu

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Fun idea!  This is a big reason why I read the HM board.  

2013: Keeping it local with a backpacking trip to NH in May and our HM to Maine in mid-August.  I'm finishing up school in August and we didn't want to put a lot of money out now just in case I can't find a job right away.Still, we are super excited for Maine!

2014: If all goes well wtih my employment situation, we want to go to NZ and Fiji.  It's ambitious, but we are happy enough to camp or stay in hostels so we can travel cheaply.  I have been to both before, but not with FI.

2015-on I think our travel plans will depend on when we want to try to have kids.  I have a bunch of travel plans on the backburner for now because they can be done in kid-friendly ways (mainly cruises and some US destinations).  If we can get in a couple of more kid-free trips Belgium and the Azores are high on our list.   Azores from Boston can be done VERY low-cost in the off season.  
  • dazy-italy in the summer is tough. the fall (in tuscany especially) is fabulous. consider going then instead of dead center high season.

booked for this year:
    april 5: san juan overnight (taking my dh to the water club as he's never stayedd over on puerto rico before and thats my fave hotel there). then a week long cruise around the caribbean.

july 26-up to new hampshire for a week with dh and family

november 30-dec 14: annual trip to mexico (cancun and rm)

we have really long lists of places for the next few years but nothings been booked yet. we're throwign around ideas of alaskian cruise, visiting family in NM and AZ, and another visit to WA state and canada. another idea is england/scotland/wales. another is argentina. i can go on and on.

but i do know for 2015 there will be a sizeable trip as that's our 10 year anniversary. for our 5 year we did 3 weeks in italy so something along those lines hopefuly. i've wanted tor eturn to russia for a while. maybe that.

• Wow - there's more than one Harry Potter park? Where?!

This year in October: Hawaii! Possibly CA too.

Weekend trips up till October in no particular order: Wine trails on the Eastern Shore of MD
    Ocean City, MD
    Williamsburg, VA
    Franklin, PA a few times for family stuff and dress fittings
    Maybe NC for the beach in the summer over a long weekend

2014: India! I get to plan our first anniversary trip since we're going where FI wants for our HM :-)

Probably weekend trips in there since India will take up all of our vacation time

2015: FI's turn to plan the anniversary trip so he's talking about Bermuda (which I love!)

That's as far as we've gotten.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_what-are-your-vacation-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:35426661-8eac-4e76-bdcf-27fa0867a67dPost:80fa60e9-89a2-485e-9d36-33806aa7a4f7">Re: What are your vacation plans?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are your vacation plans?!? : My husband goes to UNO! What is he giving a presentation on? You should try really hard to make it to the Omaha Zoo. It is awesome. I actually live across the river in Council Bluffs, Iowa. But we love Omaha. I think we will move one day but it is such a great city. Do you guys usually fly into Omaha or Lincoln?
    Posted by dazyabbey[/QUOTE]

We actually fly into Grand Island on Allegiant. The airport is ridiculously tiny. LOL

He is giving some sort of IT Management presentation sponsored by a women in engineering/IT group. Our nephew recommended him to the group. Our nephew is a recent graduate of UNO, but my DH graduated from UNL.  I actually do the same thing for a living as my DH, so I was like "why am I not giving the presentation??" but I can't come into town on the day it's being held.

• I see lots of AZ trips in there! It's amazingly gorgeous here right now. I can't wait to head out to lay by the pool after work :)

I"m jealous of the Europe trips. We had planned on going over to Europe in November and still might, but my DH wants me to focus on getting the new house set up and I want to focus on something that does not involve physical labor :)

• 2013:  Italy is our big trip this year!  We're going for 2 weeks in July.  It was surprisingly cheaper than a little later in the fall.  We'll also probably do a few weekend trips to California or Vegas.  H wants to go to Hawaii as well, but I only get 2 weeks of vacation, so that's higly unlikely.

2014 - 2015:  Nothing planned yet, but more than likely we'll make a trip or two to Hawaii.  We might decide to start TTC after our trip to Italy, so depending on that timing will obviously affect our travel plans.  Also, it's a possibility that my FIL will take a year-long contract job in Peru, so if that happens, we'll probably go down to visit.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_what-are-your-vacation-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:35426661-8eac-4e76-bdcf-27fa0867a67dPost:49949fe8-c672-406e-9b02-bb85cf1a99a7">Re: What are your vacation plans?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are your vacation plans?!? : We actually fly into Grand Island on Allegiant. The airport is ridiculously tiny. LOL He is giving some sort of IT Management presentation sponsored by a women in engineering/IT group. Our nephew recommended him to the group. Our nephew is a recent graduate of UNO, but my DH graduated from UNL.  I actually do the same thing for a living as my DH, so I was like "why am I not giving the presentation??" but I can't come into town on the day it's being held.
    Posted by Jells2dot0[/QUOTE]

That is very interesting. My husband is majoring in Computer Engineering. But... he is not a woman. Haha. I wonder who he is presenting to? That makes me curious!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_what-are-your-vacation-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:35426661-8eac-4e76-bdcf-27fa0867a67dPost:ec1f6554-3e75-49d9-a1c8-7842e60ca99c">Re: What are your vacation plans?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]dazy-italy in the summer is tough. the fall (in tuscany especially) is fabulous. consider going then instead of dead center high season.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]
    I haven't looked to much into it. I am sure we will be flexible. So fall or spring would probably work for us.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_what-are-your-vacation-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:35426661-8eac-4e76-bdcf-27fa0867a67dPost:b120b856-61b9-466c-99be-3728f8d315b7">Re: What are your vacation plans?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow - there's more than one Harry Potter park? Where?!
    Posted by winelover123[/QUOTE]
    I am a huge HP nerd! Haha. We went to Orlando after that one opened. They are opening one up in Osaka Japan at the Universal Studios there and also opening one up at Universal in California. The one in Japan should be done next fall, California they say 2015ish. Maybe later. We have also been to the Warner Brother Harry Potter Studio outside of London. That was pretty much amazing.

I just have so many places I want to go that I start thinking about them and when we could possibly squeeze it in.

• April 27-May 1: Charleston, SC. A spring getaway since we need a break from work!

mid-September: 1st anniversary trip to Portland, Oregon & up to Olympic National Park in WA.

Spring 2014: not sure. Something like New Orleans, Savannah or Nashville.

Fall of 2014: San Francisco, Sonoma & central California (Carmel, Big Sur, Monteray)
  • We don't really make long term plans.  Because of a job change DH only has a few days vacation.    More than likely we will go to Rehoboth Beach during the summer,  College Station for a football game in the fall.    Maybe PA for Thanksgiving since it's "our year" to spend T-day with my sister (they switch between our family and BIL's family).  Nothing big, just small trips.

We plan on going to China in 2014 or 2015.  My parents are moving there part-time because of my dad's job.   

We also have a wedding to got to some time in 2014 (no date set).  I'm just not sure where the couple is planning on having the wedding?  He is from OK, not sure where she is from.  He just moved to FL, she is still in NY (where they met) but it moving down.   It could be anywhere really.   Where ever it is we will be there.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • 2013: We are going to Vietnam, Thailand, & Cambodia

2014: FI wants to do Europe, I want to do India (We will see who wins that one)

2015: Either Europe or India (Depending on previous year)

2016: Africa

• Ohh, this is fun.  I love reading about travel.  We went to Puerto Rico in February.  We may go to either California or Seattle in July for some red sox games.  No plans other than that.  
  • Yay for people visiting Washington State! I miss home <3<3 Florida is nice but will never compare to the PNW for me. 

@Alithebride, where in Wa are you visiting? 

@Smooch, have you been to Portland before? If not, I can give you some of my favorite stops :) Also, if you haven't been to the Olympics, you will LOVE IT (if you're a hiker). I highly recommend visiting the rainforest as well as Hurricane Ridge :) 
  • Love all the posts. I love that people are going to such interesting locations. And some I have never thought of or even heard of before. Glad everyone is enjoying it. And I hope everyone has happy travels in 2013!

NYC in April

Dominican Republic in May

Miami and/or Bahamas cruise in August

Either a Southern Caribbean cruise and/or Costa Rica

Either Paris and London or a Mediterranean cruise for our 5th anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_what-are-your-vacation-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:35426661-8eac-4e76-bdcf-27fa0867a67dPost:f284c5cf-990a-4147-a273-86767dabaa17">Re: What are your vacation plans?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yay for people visiting Washington State! I miss home <3 <3 Florida is nice but will never compare to the PNW for me.  @Alithebride, where in Wa are you visiting?  @Smooch, have you been to Portland before? If not, I can give you some of my favorite stops :) Also, if you haven't been to the Olympics, you will LOVE IT (if you're a hiker). I highly recommend visiting the rainforest as well as Hurricane Ridge :) 

Spokane. Dh's aunt and uncle live there and we love visiting them. Did you live near there?

• Not on the East side. I'm from Western WA (about an 45 minutes north of Seattle) and went to University of WA and Western WA University. :) 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_what-are-your-vacation-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:35426661-8eac-4e76-bdcf-27fa0867a67dPost:f284c5cf-990a-4147-a273-86767dabaa17">Re: What are your vacation plans?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yay for people visiting Washington State! I miss home <3 <3 Florida is nice but will never compare to the PNW for me.  @Alithebride, where in Wa are you visiting?  @Smooch, have you been to Portland before? If not, I can give you some of my favorite stops :) Also, if you haven't been to the Olympics, you will LOVE IT (if you're a hiker). I highly recommend visiting the rainforest as well as Hurricane Ridge :) 

This will be our first time in Portland. We're excited, so share away! First trip to Olympic too. We did Rainier in 2010, along with Seattle. So far, we're big fans of the PNW. Yes, Hurricane Ridge is on the list! Any imput is appreciated. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards