Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Sandals Grande St. Lucian... any thoughts?!?

We're set to honeymoon in the Sandals Grade St. Lucian by the end of this July. I was interested in knowing if anyone has had any positive feedback about this place. It looked amazing when our travel agent presented it to us a while back but some of the reviews online seem sketchy (mostly good but some very negative). We opted for the private transfer to and from the hotel and airport because we later found out the hotels sends a mini bus to pick up all of their guests from all 3 resorts (i wasn't about to sit for a 3 hr ride while we pick up and drop off other passengers, after a long flight).

We are staying in the honeymoon swim-up lagoon suite.

How was the food? staff? cleanliness of the ocean/sand? safety in the shopping district?

If anyone has any comments I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Sandals Grande St. Lucian... any thoughts?!?

• Options
    We just went this past March for our second time. Reviews and pics from '08 and '12 in the link above my siggy pic.
  • Options
    jjswinjjswin member
    First Comment
    I have heard very mixed reviews myself. The big one I heard is the food and drinks were not as good as they should be for the price, however, the hotel is suppose to be beautiful.
  • Options
    I'm going there as well at the end of July! We're staying in the Rondovals. Several of my friends honeymooned here within the past year and they all have loved it. They said the beaches at the Grande were the best out of all three.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options
    O WOW thats great!! hope to see you there. I heard the rondovals were EXCEPTIONAL... but it was def out of our budget lol.... i'm glad atleast someone i semi-kno will get to stay in them lol.... maybe we'll run into each other there. Paul and I (Alida) will be there from July 24-Aug 1.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_sandals-grande-st-lucian-any-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:3ea70f60-75f4-411a-841d-2f2a659cadebPost:38602a00-c198-4f5d-a113-18ed6fd7d02f">Re: Sandals Grande St. Lucian... any thoughts?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going there as well at the end of July! We're staying in the Rondovals. Several of my friends honeymooned here within the past year and they all have loved it. They said the beaches at the Grande were the best out of all three.
    Posted by Amanda1443994[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    THANX EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE/THOUGHTS!!!
  • Options
    I will be at the Grande end of July too! But we aren't flying in until the 31st!
  • Options

We'll be getting there just about when you're leaving ): We're flying in on July 30th.

"Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options
    Please let us all know how it went ladies! :) I myself and lookin to book there (or one of the St. Lucia sandles) and want to know how it is for the price. I don't want to have to get up early to get a chair by the pool or beach etc - and ive heard at certain places (not st lucia - yet) it's like that. Thanks!
  • Options
    I visited this place while on a cruise, and we actually outruled the entire island for our honeymoon.. Maybe it was just me, because I too have heard mixed reviews! I just didn't like the area, but I had been to much prettier places so that was probably part of the reason that I feel that way now. lol. In all honesty, it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be, and we went to all of the Sandals resorts (3) at St. Lucia. I don't know if this will help or any, I was just very disappointed!  
  • Options
    We ruled this Sandals out because we have a co-worker that stopped there on a cruise and got a day pass.  She said it was very crowded and the beaches were filled with tons people since it is a public beach and right next to the state park.  She said random people would walk down the beach and into the resort.  There was no type of security.  She said the resort was suprisingly small.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_sandals-grande-st-lucian-any-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:3ea70f60-75f4-411a-841d-2f2a659cadebPost:4b680418-d69c-4dd3-844c-f27ce83862b2">Sandals Grande St. Lucian... any thoughts?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're set to honeymoon in the Sandals Grade St. Lucian by the end of this July. I was interested in knowing if anyone has had any positive feedback about this place. It looked amazing when our travel agent presented it to us a while back but some of the reviews online seem sketchy (mostly good but some very negative). We opted for the private transfer to and from the hotel and airport because we later found out the hotels sends a mini bus to pick up all of their guests from all 3 resorts (i wasn't about to sit for a 3 hr ride while we pick up and drop off other passengers, after a long flight). We are staying in the honeymoon swim-up lagoon suite. How was the food? staff? cleanliness of the ocean/sand? safety in the shopping district? If anyone has any comments I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!!
    Posted by acasimiro11[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>My H and I just stayed at the Grande for 12 days, and overall it was an awesome trip!  We booked the helicopter from the airport both ways, because I get motion sick and I had heard some not so great things about the drive from the airport to the resort.  Plus, it took about half the time, and who wouldn't want 2 helicopter ride views of the island?  Totally worth it.</div><div>
    </div><div>Food - better than I thought it was going to be!  It didn't change my life or anything, but for the most part I thought it was good and at time even fantastic.  The best place we ate was at La Toc, the French restaurant at La Toc - totally worth the trip!.  The food was phenomenal and the service was impeccable.  The Pier at Halcyon was also good and the service also fantastic.  At the Grande we liked Toscaninis and Bayside the best.</div><div>
    </div><div>Staff - overall friendly & attentive.  There was the occasional quiet staff member, but no one was downright rude to us.</div><div>
    </div><div>Cleanliness of the oceans/sand - fine!</div><div>
    </div><div>We didn't go the shopping district.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm not sure if you are going to do any excursions, but I would highly recommend the ziplining, one of the boat tours, and hiking to Fort Rodney.  There are several different versions of the boat tour (Simon Says, Joe Knows, Exodus) but basically it is a boat to to see the Pitons, the drive in volcano, the mud baths, the waterfalls/baths, snorkeling, and lunch.  We took the Exodus version (booked with the captain on the beach, Vince) and it was fantastic.  Fort Rodney is located in the state park literally right next to the Grande - you exit, walk across the parking lot, and it's $5 to go into the state park.  Not too bad of a hike and gives a great view.</div><div>
    </div><div>As far as beach chairs goes, a lot of the days H got up early to run and just saved us seats.  However, we didn't do this everyday and there were 3 days we were able to get chairs anyways - you might not have your top choice of chairs, but I wouldn't worry about not having a place to sit.</div><div>
    </div><div>As far as the beach goes, not sure what PP is talking about.  At the Grande it is a private beach with guards at both ends of the properties.  We had to leave our room number when we entered and exited the property.  Sometimes they allow approved vendors in to sell souveniers or tours, but otherwise the beach was totally fine and not crowded at all.</div><div>
    </div><div>Hope you have a fantastic time!

</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_sandals-grande-st-lucian-any-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:3ea70f60-75f4-411a-841d-2f2a659cadebPost:a91a3db9-0ed0-4082-b9d7-97172264580d">Re: Sandals Grande St. Lucian... any thoughts?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I visited this place while on a cruise, and we actually outruled the entire island for our honeymoon.. Maybe it was just me, because I too have heard mixed reviews! I just didn't like the area, but I had been to much prettier places so that was probably part of the reason that I feel that way now. lol. In all honesty, it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be, and we went to all of the Sandals resorts (3) at St. Lucia. I don't know if this will help or any, I was just very disappointed!  
    Posted by CMJC10[/QUOTE]

Was there one thing that really disappointed you? We're looking at staying in St Lucia, though not sure which hotel. Talked about splitting btwn The Grande and La Toc - or even a non-sandles. Was it dirty or overcrowded to you? Thanks!
  • Options
    Went there for my honeymoon and was not impressed... Honestly I would never stay at a sandals resort ever again.. They are old, dated and over priced
    Mrs-Flawless-Pitts
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards