Honeymoon Discussions

what should we do?

FI put in for vacation time a few months ago for the week after the wedding (July 14th), we're planning a mini-moon close by for the ladder half of the week.  Someone in his department just put in their 2 weeks and the whole department has been told that no one gets their vacation time until someone new is hired.  In the past it has taken their department months to make hiring decisions and the manager making decisions will be leaving on maternity leave in the next few weeks.
Should he talk to HR about this? should we put things on hold until his vacation time is freed-up again? the B&B we booked only needs 48hrs notice to cancel, but I've put in for vacation time too.
That seems so anti-climatic to just go back to work the monday after you get married.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: what should we do?

• aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment

We're not honeymooning until next year (about 7 months after the wedding). We are taking Monday off though -- maybe he could at least get that?

Lizzie
  • I have no idea.  He works in a big hospital and when he has encountered these situations before their response has been "no exceptions"
  • aragx6aragx6 member

So I'm confused -- was his leave initially approved? Has he been told he can't go?

Lizzie
  • Yes his vacation was approved, and en lieu of someone leaving their department for a different job he has been told that until someone new is hired he can't go
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2012

So what would've happened if you had airfare or a travel package that was non-refundable?   Is the company reimbursing or would they really say too bad?

ETA: Not sure what I would do.  Depends on the situation.  Will HR help the problem or hurt?   With the hiring manager going on maternity leave, it looks like you could be waiting awhile.

• I have no idea what they would do if we had more invested in it, that shouldn't make a difference, but it's a good argument for buying trip insurance if we were ever to plan a larger trip. The other thing I'm struggling with is that prior to closing on our house we lived in an apartment with a roommate, because it is so difficult to find affordable rent or new roommates we let her move with us so she could look for housing in the spring. She found a perfect living situation for herself but cant move til 2 weeks after the wedding. So if we can't go somewhere we literally won't get any time alone that week.
  • jmp2004jmp2004 member
    First Comment
    I would go to HR.  Tell them that the leave was initially approved, and that he understands the situation, but he is getting married and already has post-wedding plans.  Even in a "no exceptions" place, leave that is pre-approved for a honeymoon shouldn't be reneged.  They don't have to know that the plans can be cancelled without a problem.
  • hellebhelleb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I agree with PP about talking to his HR department.  Have him talk about that there are already post wedding plans/reservations (I wouldn't tell them canceling is an option) and that they were made after the vacation was approved (so its not like he was just banking on them agreeing they did agree)

Maybe even check his employee handbook to see if it references vacation time and see if they can revoke it if given enough time (sometimes they have that right if given at least 60 days notice etc.)  If it speaks of this tell him to respectfully reference it. 

Just a sugestion and I am sure he wasn't planning on doing this but going in guns blazing might make them hold their ground more depending on the personality of the people in charge so being calm and respectul is key but not whimpy (if that makes sense).

Hope this helps!
  • well he should CERTIANLY go and argue his case with HR and see what they say-and he needs to do it ASAP along with the confirmation from the place you've booked and your wedding invitation. they may say no but then you'd know for sure what your options are rather than here speculating about what might happen......

• aragx6aragx6 member
    I don't think it would hurt to ask, but I also think that it would be kind of a diick move and possibly bad for his career there if he throws a stink even though the trip is refundable.
    Lizzie
  • jmp2004jmp2004 member
    First Comment
    It's not about the trip being refundable.  It's the principal of the matter.  His leave was approved, and he's getting married.  It's not like he wants a week off to sit at home and catch up on his soaps.  :p
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_what-should-we-do?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:409695b1-6b2f-493c-80fc-44050220fb0fPost:a4a4ec68-c95b-49cf-8d0e-2e8bdf58fe4b">Re: what should we do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it would hurt to ask, but I also think that it would be kind of a diick move and possibly bad for his career there if he throws a stink even though the trip is refundable.
    Posted by aragx6[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm concerned about. We've gotten mixed reactions from our friends, and his manager doesnt want to hear about it. My employer and his employer have some overlapping HR people, would it be out of line for me to try to ask about it?
  • If you have an HR person that you can ask off the record for advice, then ok. Otherwise, I would say you should stay out of it and let him ask. It really sucks that they would reneg on an approved vacation like this. 
  • His leave was approved.  Period.

Now there is a new policy that no one who applies for leave NOW will be able to take leave until a new person is hired.  That new policy does not impact previous approved leaves.

This is the same crap that venues try to pull on naive brides.  After the bride/MOB/FOB signs the contract, the venue tries to say, "Oh we've raised our service fee" or "We've had to raise our entree costs" or some other illegal ploy.  Once that venue or floral or photography contract is signed, they cannot raise any fees or tack on a new fee.  The contract is A CONTRACT.  Period. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards