Honeymoon Discussions

Jamaica Honeymoon tips?

Eee!!!  I'm so excited that we finally picked a honeymoon spot -- Ocho Rios, Jamaica in October.  Any tips on travel to Jamaica that I might not find on travel sites?  Thanks!

Re: Jamaica Honeymoon tips?

• I stayed in Negril, not on my HM but a few years ago with a friend. I don't specifically know about Ocho Rios, since I just drove through but here are a few tips in general:

-negotiate the cab fare before you get in. Good luck getting them to stick to it. Drivers said to me  "ya mon, no problem $80" and I'd say "ya mon, it IS a problem, you told me $50!!"

-don't drink the water. People told me it was okay and we both got violently ill on our 3rd day there. It may not have been the water, but who knows. I put iodine tablets into a few water bottles & let them sit overnight.

-bring some basics if you plan on cooking your own food at all. Grocery stores are sad there. I would have brough pb&j, mac and cheese, dehydrated milk, spices and some snacks. Of course, I was broke. Maybe you can eat at restaurants the whole time, which would've been awesome.

-eat calaloo and lots of it, omg, so good. Red Stripes are cheaper there and have a higher alcohol content than in the states.

-if you drive, watch & listen for honking around curves and watch out for goats and chickens

• Congrats!  FI and I stayed at Couples Tower Isle about 2 years ago - not HM just a trip.  Jamaica is a very poor country on the whole, so be prepared for that as you drive through the country.  However, the people were SO friendly and it was wonderful - they really made us feel at home.  If you fly into Monteo Bay airport, be prepared for a 1.5-hour trip to Ocho Rios.  The rodes are paved so it's not too bumpy or anything, but they do drive pretty aggressively. In Ocho Rios, definitely do the trip to Dunns River Falls - it is a little scary climbing up the falls, but definitely worth it!  And the trip will only take about 2 hours of your day.  So much fun.  Where are you staying?
    Anniversary
  • We stayed in Ocho Rios at the RIU in Jamaica and LOVED IT!!! You should be close to Dunn's River Falls...ask your resort if the have packages to take a boat ride to the falls and you can climb them!!! I am not an outdoors-y kinda gal, but I LOVED THIS. We took a boat ride (complete with free alcoholic punch served on board), snorkled and climbed the falls for $60 cash/ couple. The locals depend on travelers for their income, so you can negotate pretty much anything. Also, the RIU has a day spa that has massages for a decent price and you can choose to have a massage out by the beach or inside their spa---AMAZING either way! Have a great trip!!!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bouquet Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @ljsquintz -- I don't know how to do that "quote" thingy to respond to a prior post, but we are also booked at the Couples Tower Isle.  I've heard great things and we are super excited!!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards