Honeymoon Discussions

Silly question/Costa Rica = fridge

I'm looking into Costa Rica as a honeymoon option and I really like the idea of some of these hotels that are off the beaten path/in the jungle/somewhat secluded.  That being said, has anyone stayed at one, or know of one - that has a mini fridge in the suite?  We would need one for medical supplies and it seems like a lot of these places are open air or don't have electricity.

I'll e-mail some myself of course, but I'm curious if anyone knows of any with this option :)

Re: Silly question/Costa Rica = fridge

• I would email the resorts and ask directly.  We communicated regularly the resorts we stayed at by email when planning our trip and they were all wonderful and easy to reach. I would just reach out and ask.  You may also find they make it very easy to book your trip directly.  We loved everywhere we stayed in CR and had a great experience there.  People were so friendly and it was easy to get around.
    As for open air, one of the resorts we stayed at had an open air restaurant/main visitor area, but the resort was certainly powered and the rooms and had a/c!  I have to ask though, do they really have no electricity? How do you eat at night when the sun goes down at 6:30pm?  If you need a fridge, that might be a bit too rustic for your needs.
  • I'm not sure if you're planning to visit more than one location, but we absolutely loved El Silencio Lodge and Spa.  Amazing location, rooms, food, service - and a fridge in the room!
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • Yeah - one of the resorts I checked into said the rooms were lit by "40 candles" at night, or something like that :)  I don't mind not having electricty otherwise but the fridge is a must.

Thank you for the suggestions!
  • GirlinChicago, I'm glad to hear you liked El Silencio. We stayed at their sister resort, HotelPuntaIslita , and dream of going back there. (sorry it is separated by spaces but the knot thinks p. is a bad word and won't let me submit)  We would love to try El Silencio as well on our next trip (we are definitely going back to Costa Rica).

The Peace Lodge at the La Paz Waterfall Gardens was also beautiful and rustic chiq, with lots of onsite activities. Highly recommend, but bring a rain jacket because you are in the clouds!
  • We stayed at the Rio Celeste Hideaway hotel in the middle of the Tenorio volcanic National Park.  It was secluded, 5* and amazing.  http://www.riocelestehideaway.com/

There were mini fridges in each casita. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We stayed on the Carribean coast at Congo Bongo which is off the beaten path, near a tiny town (Manzanillo) and a larger town (Puerto Viejo). http://www.congo-bongo.com/ We had a great time and you stay in an individual litttle house in the jungle (you CANNOT see anyone else from your little house). There are mini kitchens in each house with fairly large fridges (bigger than in a college dorm room) with potable water, sink, stove, fans, and electric lights. It is still very rustic and you can walk down a cute walkway right to a beautiful empty beach and into the little town for food at 3 different restaurants. Puerto Viejo also has a lot of restaurants including a delicious Italian (weird I know!) one founded by an Italian guy with AMAZING food. The fresh seafood is also great. If you want more info PM me, I don't want to overload you. But if you want off the beaten path with a fridge my fiancee and I had a great time, it was beautiful, and there was definitely a fridge.
  • Oh and the electricity was completely reliable for the entire week we were there even during rain.. I know that can sometimes be a concern.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards