Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Resort Help

Hi,
We found a location we love for our wedding, in our price range, all is looking great.  How do we know if the place is nice?  We checked Tripadvisor but we hear that you can't be 100% that the reviews are real.
The Sanctuary at Cap Cana, Dominican Republic.  Has anyone heard of it or went on their honeymoon there?
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

Re: Resort Help

• Options
    I've never been to that resort, but I'll tell you that trip advisor is real.  I write reviews there for all our trips.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_resort-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:50567840-660a-4ed4-83b1-efebeefe633cPost:00785d80-5aee-403c-84f9-5fcc411ff6bc">Re: Resort Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never been to that resort, but I'll tell you that trip advisor is real.  I write reviews there for all our trips.  
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if she meant that people that work at the resorts can write reviews acting as if they are tourists who have stayed there because I have wondered the same thing. Although I don't feel that happens that often, so I still somewhat rely on trip advisor for my reviews.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I check TA all the time and do feel most of their reviews are genuine because, depending on the place, I've read lots of negative reviews. Obviously someone promoting a resort wouldn't want negative business. You might also check the forums on TA for a particular location because many locals post on the boards and answer questions for tourists. In planning our trip to San Fran, I found the locals very helpful on TA. Of course, it's always best to check reviews on multiple places; I'll usually read hotel reviews also on places like Expedia, travelocity, etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I write reviews on TA all the time.  I'd say to ignore any 1 time reviewers (the review of the resort being their only review) and to take the reviews from people with at least 5 reviews to heart.  You can also go on the message board for where the resort is located and ASK people if they've been there and what they think.
  • Options
    I'm sure the resort is nice.  It used to be Secrets Cap Cana (by AMResorts) and they usually have pretty high standards.  They must have just switched ownership in the last year.  It is up north past Punt Cana in a Marina type area I believe.  I'm not sure how the beach is, but I do recall you'll want to be careful on which room categories you pick etc.   A travel agent might be able to offer those types of specific recommendations when it comes to the actual rooms, but you might find that info on TA too.  I've written reviews for resorts I've been to in Mexico there.  If you are still looking at options in Dominican Republic, definitely check out the Excellence Riviera Cancun or the Iberostar Grand.
  • Options
    Thank you so much to everyone who has posted.  So kind.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_resort-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:50567840-660a-4ed4-83b1-efebeefe633cPost:dbab519f-aeec-4b23-bb3d-764e491867cc">Re: Resort Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I write reviews on TA all the time.  I'd say to ignore any 1 time reviewers (the review of the resort being their only review) and to take the reviews from people with at least 5 reviews to heart.  You can also go on the message board for where the resort is located and ASK people if they've been there and what they think.
    Posted by thegreeneyedkri[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards