Connecticut

Large wedding at Society Room of Hartford

Has anyone had their wedding or been to a wedding at the Society Room where guests had to be seated upstairs? I love the venue but am anticipating about 200 guests. They say they can hold 160 on the floor but even that seems a little tight. I've gotten some feedback saying guests did not mind sitting upstairs, but others have said those guests were isolated, not part of the wedding and were very unhappy about sitting on the balcony. If anyone can give me some personal feedback it would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Large wedding at Society Room of Hartford

• I also looked there for my wedding. I had attended a wedding there that was small enough that everyone was on the bottom level, it was very nice. I was uncomfortable with the two levels for my own reception as mine would be split. I feel like if you had a large enough group of friends that you could seat all of up there it may be fine, but I felt (and this may not be the same for everyone) some of my families older relatives and friends may be offended if they were upstairs when the party is down. It was a beautiful and classy venue so it was hard to say no too. I ended up choosing Saint Clements, but if you are looking for a similar feel that holds more I thought the Hartford Club was stellar.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the idea! I was deifnitey thinking of putting younger people upstairs, but even in doing that I wasn't sure if there would be two much of a separation. I don't want one party going on upstairs and another going on downstairs!
  • One of my brother's best friends from high school got married there a little over a year ago.  They had a lot of friends that were invited and childhood friends' parents that were invited and we were all seated upstairs.  Honestly, we didn't mind.  There was another bar upstairs so it was convenient while we were eating dinner but after dinner we all went downstairs to dance and hang out with the bridal party.  If you have enough friends or extended family that you don't see but "have" to invite then upstairs is fine. 

• That is great to know, thanks!
  • Just so you know, the Society Room only gives you parking for every 4 guests.  Depending on when you are having your wedding there and what events are going on in the city, parking could be a major concern.

You might want to look into the Gershon Fox Ballroom in Hartford if you are looking to stay in the city.  We just booked there, it has amazing reviews, they have already been very helpful, there package includes a lot of things, plus it has valet parking for all your guests. :)
  • I checked out the Society Room and its gorgeous, unfortunatelly, its too far from where his family lives. 
    but the place is to die for.
  • What were the charges for the society room?? Also, what did they include in their costs??
  • you want to make sure you have parking for everyone and if you have older guest where its hard for them to walk long distances that could be a problem if both the driver and the passanger are in the same boat.. 

me if i was at a wedding and the room was split up half downstairs and half upstairs i would be upset that i was placed far away from the party. i know its upstairs but to me thats like being left out. i would really think this over... there are other places that have the same look to them as the society room 
  • Love Society Room!  We have filmed there many times.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards