Honeymoon Discussions

Beaches in Italy

My FH and I planning to go to Italy next June for our honeymoon. We are hoping to spend two weeks there and want to devote one week to exploring and another week to being lazy on beaches.  We are planning to fly into Rome and check out Florence as well for the tourist part.  We won't be renting a car.  Any suggestions on what beachy areas to stay in are very much appreciated. We have heard great things about the Amalfi Coast but looking for other suggestions as well.  THANK YOU

:)

Re: Beaches in Italy

• its easy to get from rome to florence via train (90 minute fast train). the only beaches i'v been to in italy were on sicily so i can't help you there-unless you want to add sicily to your list.

• The Amafli Coast is beautiful but doesn't have the nicest beaches. Most of the beaches I saw were more so pebble beaches than sand beaches and tended to be very narrow. However, I would definitely recommend the Amalfi Coast as part of your honeymoon. The area is filled with gorgeous villages and there are a ton of activities to choose from. Sorrento would be a great town to base yourself from so that you could see the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, and the island of Capri.

I don't have any entries in my travel blog on the Amafli Coast as I visited during my first trip to Italy 6 years ago, but I do have multiple entries on our recent trip to Italy, including Rome and Florence:

• I have been to Cinque Terre for a day trip when we were staying in Tuscany.  I forget how long the ride was but it is a very cute little beach town with shops and restaurants.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I went to Pescara 5 years ago with my parents.  It's right across from Rome on the other coast.  You could stay there and then take a bus to Rome.  It was very nice, not rocky.  I don't remember what the hotel was we stayed at but they did include dinner in the price, maybe lunch too.  
  • Are you going this June? We are going for 2 weeks leaving on the 8th!!! So excited!! I totally recommend the Amalfi coast, everyone says its amazing so were spending 5 nights there to kick off our honeymoon!! Good luck planning!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've been to Porto San Giorgio in Le Marche.  It's about 2 hours by train from Rome or Venice or Milan.  I think the beaches on the Adriatic side are lovely.  I think the NYTimes did an article on Le Marche a few years ago saying that it was what Tuscany was in the 70s and 80s -- not overly touristy, still quiet and local.

Also, if you love shopping, Tod's are made in Le Marche, so a visit to their factory store is a great break from the beach.  ;)
  • Best beaches I ever went to were on Sardegna, hands down, it's a paradise. You can take a ferry from Civitavecchia (Port of Rome, which is about a 30 minute train ride from Rome). It's an overnight ferry, but you get a cabin (or you can reserve a reclining seat to sleep it, your choice), and it was very decently priced. My favorite beach was in Costa Rei, on the south east coast of the island. Absolutely fantastic. I didn't really like the mainland beaches, they just couldn't compare to Sardegna
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards