Connecticut
Options

Is it okay

to DYI your invites?? I started looking at them and couldn't believe how much they cost. I saw some at Michael's and think they would be fine, but will they be too cheesy??

Re: Is it okay

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It seems like a lot of people DIY their invites.  I'm highly considering doing ours.  I think I'm going to purchase the pocketfold kits from Cards & Pockets.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i thought about it. but i found such good prices at www.theamericanwedding.com that i went with that...we did 125 invites including rsvp cards, envelopes for both, and return addresses printed for $183 it was more than the kits, but it was something i liked more, and there wasnt the hassle of having to do it myself and word of advice: DONT do square invites...base postage is 66 cents instead of 44, and ours hardly had anything extra, and it cost $1.05 EACH, plus the 44 cent postage for the rsvp envelope...cost us almost as much in postage as it did for the invites.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did with a target kit..postage cost more than the invites themselves
    Stroller Pushing,Doctor Respecting, Full Time Daycare Paying, Alone Time Appreciating,Boundary Setting Momma
    Jenny McCarthy = Former Playmate and MTV host
    Pediatrician = Doctor with extensive experience and education on children.
    Bumpies = Don't get me started!
    I know who I get my health advice from!
    What are you looking at?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I DIYed and I love how they came out. I had to buy two kits, cause ours were only in a package of 50 & I needed 60. The postage cost almost as much as the invites! All total $130 including postage, I couldn't even get just the invites for that.
    Pregnancy Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i did, although i did have them printed with an etsy artist! I loved making them! I love that design stuff.... should have went to school for that! :) I have some pictures in my bio- the blog section.. but i can send you some if you are interested!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lauren, how much did it cost you to have them printed with the etsy seller?  I'm considering doing my invites, but am waffling about the printing...
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually made are invites and RSVP cards. I made them both from Microsoft word I found a picture we really liked and that fit our theme, found the saying we wanted and put them together I messed with the placement of the wording for awhile but finally got it right. I saved it to a USB drive and brought it to office depot to have them print them on card stock so it would look like a real invitation, and I think they came out very cute. For 100 invitations, 25 RSVP's (two to a page) 2 boxes of envelopes, and sticky labels I think everything came to $85. I thought they came out nice, they weren’t as fancy as some of the ones you buy but I like that fact that we made them ourselves.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got ours at JoAnn Fabrics for $15 - We actually had people compliment us on them!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've made our invites. I know they aren't made out of the 80lbs paper or whatever but they do look very good, my mom and sister said they look very professional. I printed everything from home. The only thing i didn't do totally was the rsvp cars, i bought a kit for that. But i made my own pocketfolds and everything else. So no i don't think it would be cheesy.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i used a JoAnn Fabrics kit as well. all said and done it cost about $100 including postage. it took me like 1 entire night to get it all printed and whatnot, and another day or so to put them together and address them all (we only sent out about 35 though). overall, i'd say TOTALLY worth it. we didn't have that much in our budget so it was a place i really wanted to save money on. the one con: all my reply cards came back with ink transferred on them. the post office must have gotten them wet or something and that is what caused the ink to run a bit. i had them for a good month sitting in my home pressing them down and no ink....so i know they were perfect when i sent them. :( oh well!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I DIY'd my invites (PIB) - but I really DIY'd them! I made mine from scratch. That being said, almost everyone invited said they were the nicest invites they've ever seen and looked totally professional! So I say YES its totally ok to DIY your invitations!
  • Options
    Vikki2payVikki2pay member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you think you can do it, go for it. I did a set of DIY invites for our "B" list because the regular ones had the wrong RSVP dates.  I loved the way they came out.  It was lots of work, but in the end I got lots of comliments on them.
  • Options
    Miles2GoMiles2Go member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did mine from scratch, too. I couldn't find something that I loved that would go with my theme. I have pictures in my bio of all the stationery I designed, as well as how I went about making them. I printed at home, which I wouldn't do again. I would take them to somewhere like Staples, though, and have them printed there. I bought my paper from paperworks.com and my envelopes from envelopemall.com, both of which were great. I love how they came out and they're so unique. I got lots of raves about them! I definitely recommend it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards