Honeymoon Discussions

No Passports - Where Can We Go?

When I think honeymoon, I think tropical. Crystal clear water & white sandy beaches! 

We live in NJ, and don't have our passports. We've both been to Florida & California...not quite tropical enough. Where do you recommend we go on our honeymoon in July? Anybody know any islands that we can go to? 

Re: No Passports - Where Can We Go?

• You should be able to travel to any of the US Territories without a passport. Puerto Rico and the USVI are the easiest to get to. I think the Pacific Islands (Guam, Saipan, American Samoa) may be more difficult and you might need more documentation (Like a birth certificate).

• When is your wedding/HM? If it's more than 3 months out you have plenty of time to order your passports. I always highly suggest getting passports as they are good for 10 years, and you're free to see the world. I can't imagine never traveling outside of the states. Also, if your HM is less than 3 months away, you're most likely still ok turnaround time wise or you can rush them.

If you're dead set against not getting passports, your options outside of CA and FL are Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. virgin islands (St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Croix).
  • I second getting a Passport if you have the time. it's just a smart document to have. I just recently updated mine, and just paid 70 bucks to get it faster. They said it would be here within one MONTH and it was here in 3 weeks. 
  • Hawaii! We are going to Kona for our honeymoon.  My passport expired and just feel like its an important document to have but don't need it for Hawaii.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-passports-where-can-we-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:56800d23-19b7-4aec-814f-1233d19fd5c4Post:05b3726c-795e-45b1-a81e-d2af5222ef63">Re: No Passports - Where Can We Go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hawaii! We are going to Kona for our honeymoon.  My passport expired and just feel like its an important document to have but don't need it for Hawaii.
    Posted by fperez7542[/QUOTE]

<div>Hawaii is a great choice! Although, be careful OP. I know a lot of flights to Hawaii go through Vancouver, BC so you would have your passport checked there. Just something of which to be aware. :) </div>
  • Definitely get your passport. But you have CA, FL (have you tried the Florida Keys?), Hawaii, and any of the territories.
  • Yeah, Key West is very tropical, even though it's still in Florida. Other than that, I second (third?) the Virgin Islands.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Hawaii, USVI, Catalina Island, South Padre island, Florida, especially the keys. 

Although as others have said you have time to get passports. 
  • One thing I haven't seen mentioned is budget. Places like Jamaica, the Dominican, and Mexico are often cheaper than the USVI or Hawaii, yet they are out of the country and require a passport. If you have a limited budget, you may have to consider Florida or get a passport and travel to a Caribbean island outside of the US.

• You can go on a closed loop cruise out of New York.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree about getting your passports, but also recommend Puerto Rico. It's beautiful and very affordable. Check CheapCarribean.com for good package deals. I also have a friend who swears by St. John if you have a little more to spend.
  • What they all said - I've been to or lived in most so thought I would offer my opinion.

Hawaii is amazing - just try to go to a different island than Oahu. I lived there for years and it is like other large cities - horrible traffic everywhere. Kauai is my favorite island, Maui second. If you stay in the main city or a resort you can save a fortune on rental car fees. Far flight from NJ though. I personally would pick Hawaii though.

The FL keys are great - party central though. I really went to bed before most of the baby boomers most nights! Parrotheads and maragritas everywhere! ;) I'm not sure what part of FL you have been to but down south is much different than central, much more tropical.

You don't need a passport for Guam, as long as you fly direct from mainlaind-hawaii-guam. United is the only airline that offers that flight. Don't come to Guam. It is not worth the price of the plane ticekts (no less than $1500 ever) for the city here. Hawaii is much cheaper to get to and on the same price field for a way better choice. The flight is also over a day from the east coast - not fun, trust me. Oh and you DO need a passport for America Somoa and Saipan. Saipan also not so great - actually not great at all, don't go there.

USVI seems to be the best option for you - easy flight, no passport required, and easy to book at a resort there, google and see which one you like! Oh and Puerto Rico like others said.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-passports-where-can-we-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:56800d23-19b7-4aec-814f-1233d19fd5c4Post:415538e0-5204-40fb-bb6d-5d20df422081">No Passports - Where Can We Go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I think honeymoon, I think tropical. Crystal clear water & white sandy beaches!  We live in NJ, and don't have our passports. We've both been to Florida & California...not quite tropical enough. Where do you recommend we go on our honeymoon in July? Anybody know any islands that we can go to? 
    Posted by carlydaily[/QUOTE]

that's more than enough time to get your passports. go and get them.

• We are headed to Puerto Rico and I am super happy about it.  They have the zip-line tours, jungle and waterfalls as well as beaches.  You also get the historical Old San Juan.  It is not as cheap as going to Mexico but you do not need the passport.

Also, a friend of mine is thinking about Napa Valley as a honeymoon spot if you want something other than a beach setting.
  • I had a BLAST in Puerto Rico, and Hawaii is probably my favorite place on earth, so both are excellent choices that don't require a passport. 

However, I do agree that getting a passport is also a good idea.  When I applied for my first passport, it only took 3 weeks, so you have plenty of time if you're interested.  Also, if you are planning to change your last name, you have a year from the original passport issue date to do it free of charge, so you can get one now to use on your HM, then change it along with all your other documents.
    Anniversary
  • I'll also agree that getting a passport is a good idea.  My purse was literally snatched from my arms in midtown Atlanta back in October, and it had every form of ID I had in there... except my passport.  I was able to get everything reissued with no hassle at all because I could show them my passport to prove who I was.  The federal government considers your passport to be the "highest" form of ID that can be issued.  My purse adventure would have been an awful ordeal if I didn't have it.

Seriously, it's worth the small upfront investment.  It also lets you go places that are less expensive.  Overall, you'd probably spend less by getting a passport and honeymooning some place that requires one than by avoiding it altogether. And then you have it for future trips or for ID emergencies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're going on a cruise to the Bahamas and don't need a passport...just a certified birth certificate.  I hear most cruises to the Bahamas and Carribean are that way.  Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-passports-where-can-we-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:56800d23-19b7-4aec-814f-1233d19fd5c4Post:e66665cd-cc74-4543-b135-27b04c9f6ad7">Re: No Passports - Where Can We Go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're going on a cruise to the Bahamas and don't need a passport...just a certified birth certificate.  I hear most cruises to the Bahamas and Carribean are that way.  Good luck!
    Posted by mvance3[/QUOTE]

<div>This is true, but only if you return by cruise ship.  If there is an emergency and you need to board an airplane to fly home, you can't get on board the plane without a passport.  Obviously this scenario is rare, but it does happen.  If a family member or friend gets ill, if YOU get ill, etc - I would personally never travel outside the US without one.  You just never know.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-passports-where-can-we-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:56800d23-19b7-4aec-814f-1233d19fd5c4Post:7633ddb2-0dfb-4bb6-b5c7-1fc0416a644a">Re: No Passports - Where Can We Go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Passports - Where Can We Go? : This is true, but only if you return by cruise ship.  If there is an emergency and you need to board an airplane to fly home, you can't get on board the plane without a passport.  Obviously this scenario is rare, but it does happen.  If a family member or friend gets ill, if YOU get ill, etc - I would personally never travel outside the US without one.  You just never know.
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

that's absolutely right.

and at this point you're thinking 'whats the chances i could get sick'? see my siggy. it happens out of the blue. of course you could go to the consulate to get an emergency passport to leave the country but if you're THAT ill then you wouldn' tbe able to get tot he consulate anyway.

just get the passports.

• Tropics... IN JULY?  Are you kidding me?  It's so very hot here and in the islands in JULY that you just can't even breathe easily.  You'd have to get up early and do activities outside until about 11:30 a.m., and then not again until about 4:30.  Not kidding.  

We got married in JULY (we're both schoolteachers) and HMed in San Diego where the weather is perfect (high of 79 or so and low humidity) and there are TONS of things to do.  You can choose to stay on or near the water if you want more of a tropical feel.

My better suggestion for you is to go to Mackinac Island, Michigan.  It's close to you, so you wouldn't have to hassle an entire day of changing planes to get from NJ to tropical islands or NJ to California.  And it's a wonderful island - like a resort.  You don't have to stay at the big Grand Hotel - there are plenty of other hotels there.   
    http://www.mackinacisland.org/
  • I lived in the islands for 16 years.   July is not that bad.  Actually FL and even my homestate of DE were generally hotter and more humid than the islands during that time.   Sure we would have a day or 2 of hot humid weather.  But most of the time the tradewinds were blowing and it was fine.  

Our highs were in the low 90's.  Never hit 100.  I spent a week in DE where the average high was 101.  We couldn't wait to get back to the islands because they were not as hot.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards