Connecticut

Ring spinning and skin getting callouses

Does anyone have an issue with their E-ring spinning and callousing their skin? I've been engaged for 4 months. I've recently lost some weight and I have had the ring sized once before.

Re: Ring spinning and skin getting callouses

• bmetz34bmetz34 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yup, I have the same issue.  I had mine taken down a quarter of a size but I can't do any more because of my "large knuckles" according to the jewler lol.  The spinning has gotten a little better but I still have the callus.  I guess there's a limit to how many times it can be sized b/c she said if I need it again, I'll need to do sizing balls instead of actually sizing it, since that was the 2nd time it was sized.  When I have my wedding band on they don't slide around so much so I'll just have to wait til then!
    8/12 March Siggy- reception venue!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Mine drives me nuts spinning around!  I already had it sized once, but since then I guess my fingers have gotten smaller.  I am afraid if I make it too small, it won't go over my knuckles so I am dealing with it for now.  I am hoping when I have my wedding ring on it won't spin around as much...but that's over a year from now!!!
    Anniversary
  • starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mine sometimes causes a callus-like rash.  i'm not really sure what it's from (mine doesn't really spin) but i find that if i leave the ring off until it's cleared up and use either lotrimin or neosporin, it clears a little quicker.  g/l!
  • edited December 2011
    So, you could have a few different issues going on here.  First, it's probably not the correct size.  An experienced jeweler should be able to size you properly and determine the correct remedy for making the ring fit properly and not spin. Sizing bumps (aka sizing balls, speed bumps) are used to rememdy two things, 1. your ring is extremely top heavy and needs a bit of a counter balance and the bumps also help keep the ring positioned correctly or 2. your knuckle is a bit big compared to your finger and the bumps take up a bit of space while still allowing an extra open area to accommodate going over your knuckle.

If you have a rather standard engagement ring w/ a solitaire, etc and it's fit properly, you shouldn't have that much of a problem with it spinning.  Spinning can be bad once you are also wearing a wedding ring because it will cause the two rings to constantly rub together and wear down the metal.

The most common reason that people get a rash from their ring (assuming it's gold or platinum) is because it is dirty.  Try cleaning it more often or take it in to your jeweler to be cleaned. If it's a very old gold ring, it can also be an allergic reaction because some extremely old gold was alloyed with nickel.  If you're not getting an irritated rash and it's just a callous, it may just be that the edge on the bottom of your ring where the side and the bottom of the shank meet is rubbing the area just right... basically just an issue of friction with a sharp edge.  Depending on how thick and wide the shank is, the jeweler may be able to buff away a little of that sharp edge to round it off.  People sometimes have problems with this with their wedding bands if they got half round bands, and that's why they make comfort fit ones.  The sharp edge is rounded off.

Hope that helps!  Good luck!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    My ring was slightly big when I got it and it spun all the time and drove me crazy.  My FI was insistant that I didn't get it sized so I got sizing beads instead.  I love them!  My ring fits so much better and doesn't spin and when I get pregnant I can have the beads taken out so that my ring will still fit.  My jeweler said that I would be able to feel the beads but I honestly don't...I never notice them.  My ring is platinum but the sizing beads are white gold bc they were less expensive and the jeweler said that it wouldn't matter if I used white gold ones.  I went to Baribault Jewelers in Glastonbury and I only had to leave my ring for a few hours while the did it.  I highly recommend the sizing beads as opposed to cutting the ring to size it esp if you've already done that once.

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also second sizing beads!!! It gets really hot and humid here in the summer, so my fingers swell, and in the winter they shrink. So I didn't want to tighten it too much. But also, every time my hands got wet, the ring would spin. It's a bit top heavy (thanks to my great-grandma for the giant rock of a diamond I inherited). I got sizing beads a few weeks ago. Love love love them! It doesn't spin at all ever, but it's still easy to get on and off.

Anniversary

• Melissa603Melissa603 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are the sizing beads comfortable? 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_ring-spinning-skin-getting-callouses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:150000d2-6e45-4e49-9d60-b2127217f51ePost:dbb51fe1-9cbc-47cc-9f64-e145805fe52c">Re: Ring spinning and skin getting callouses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are the sizing beads comfortable? 
    Posted by Melissa603[/QUOTE]
     I have them in my ring and I don't feel them at all.  It feels no different than any other ring to me.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_ring-spinning-skin-getting-callouses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:150000d2-6e45-4e49-9d60-b2127217f51ePost:43788bbf-aced-4b3e-8f14-20b605bbecec">Re: Ring spinning and skin getting callouses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ring spinning and skin getting callouses :  I have them in my ring and I don't feel them at all.  It feels no different than any other ring to me.
    Posted by akulaji[/QUOTE]
    agreed...I don't feel them at all and forget they are even there!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_ring-spinning-skin-getting-callouses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:150000d2-6e45-4e49-9d60-b2127217f51ePost:a169b7cc-590a-4ed4-8d64-c22a0d37898b">Re: Ring spinning and skin getting callouses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ring spinning and skin getting callouses : agreed...I don't feel them at all and forget they are even there!
    Posted by LoriG41[/QUOTE]

Yep, this! WhenI first put it in, I noticed impressing into the little skin flap on the inside of my ring finger and my middle finger. Not uncomfortable and definitely not painful, just noticed it. After day, it actual felt better since it felt more secure and it stopped spinning. I think most people are concerned about how it'll look - when it's on your hand,no one will notice. When it's off, like wedding pics of your e-ring, you can see them. But to me, that wasn't as important as fitting well and being comfortable on my finger.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I have the same problem. The ring has been sized down twice now because of weight loss.  Jeweler told me the same thing.  Maybe sizing beads is the answer.  I guess I'll find out in 4 days when I have my wedding band on!
  • Melissa603Melissa603 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It look like my next trip to CT I'll have to talk to the jeweler about maybe doing sizing beads these sound like it maybe the way to go. And for pictures they can always be photoshopped out lol
  • mlprck27mlprck27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_ring-spinning-skin-getting-callouses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:150000d2-6e45-4e49-9d60-b2127217f51ePost:a169b7cc-590a-4ed4-8d64-c22a0d37898b">Re: Ring spinning and skin getting callouses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ring spinning and skin getting callouses : agreed...I don't feel them at all and forget they are even there!
    Posted by LoriG41[/QUOTE]

I was blessed with large knuckles and had my ring sized once but it still would spin so I took it back and got the sizing balls.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Not only does it stay in place but I'm not afraid that I'm going to lose the ring anymore lol.  I highly recommend them.  It's such an easy solution!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards