Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon at Family's House - Thoughts?

My FI and I were offered our family's home to honeymoon at in Florida. They will be traveling while we stay there so we wouldn't be with them. We were immediately thrilled at having a "free" honeymoon but we started wondering if we wanted a more luxiurious experience. We are attracted at the thought of saving so much money by staying at their home because we just bought a new home and are paying for most of our wedding.

We do plan on doing fun things like staying 2 nights in Disney and going to the Everglades. But we wanted to know if anyone has ever done this? Will we feel like we regretted not going to a place like the Carribbean? Some family members think we will regret it and it's hard not to be swayed by their opinions!

Thanks!

Re: Honeymoon at Family's House - Thoughts?

• I think it would be lovely to have a nice place to stay on a honeymoon for free.  You could always go out for a nice dinner, go to the spa for massages. . . . other stuff to make it more different/special than just hanging out at your parents' house.
  • I think it honestly depends on exactly what you want and what you can afford.

I am a very thrifty/cheap person so things like that are hard to pass up. But in your post you almost seem reluctant to go. If you want a nicer and better honeymoon and you can afford it then go ahead and go for it. To us the honeymoon was very important and we saved up a lot of money so we could go on a dream trip. Honestly I loved our honeymoon more then our wedding. That is just how we are though.

Talk to your fiance, see what you guys want to do. If you will be happy with a honeymoon at a family house in Florida and are excited about saving then money then go for it. If you think you might regret not going on a hug honeymoon and you can afford to, go on that!

• Thanks for all the thoughts!
    We would be flying into Palm Beach and be staying in an area called Hobe Sound.
    I think we are going to do it - it's hard not to pass up a family offerring such a nice thing!
    And I think we'll splurge on some really fancy restaurants and spa treatments!!

Thanks so much - it's given us more to think about
    :)
  • We would have loved to go to Disney for our honeymoon but it wasn't in our budget. We did Niagra Falls for a few days instead.

I agree with your idea of taking advantage of family home & treating yourself to special meals & activites. When you think about it, really how much time would you be spending at the home anyways? So save the money on lodging & have fun while your out & about.
  • Personally, I think your honeymoon is a "once in a lifetime" thing. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities in the future for you to use your family's house! I definitely wanted our honeymoon to be something we wouldn't really do any other time.

However, I am also thrifty... we just bought a house so I completely understand where you are coming from. 

Bottom line: Do what makes you happy. Don't plan a honeymoon that you think you even MIGHT regret! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards