Connecticut

ceremony back up

Hey ladies, 

We are having an outdoor ceremony and we have a back up plan incase it rains. The wedding is in April, and we all know April showers bring May flowers. So I guess we are taking a chance. At first I was just going to tell people to bring umbrellas, but so many people were taken back by it. My FI suggested that we ask the reception place (which is indoors), so I did. So if it rains that morning then the ceremony will be postponed til the start of the reception. The thing that kind of gets me is we will get married on the dance floor, wont have anywhere to really take pictures and it just wont be what I wanted from the beginning. *sigh*

Please give me some positive vibes for this incase this does occur. What do you ladies think? Can you help me feel better about this, I dont want my FI to feel bad, so I dont really want to talk to him about it. You ladies have helped me feel better about things before. The images below is part of our ceremony site, which I love!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: ceremony back up

• If it rains it rains, there is nothing you can do about it.  Will you be inside no matter what the rain (light drizzle/mist vs. downpour?) situation is?  The other option (although it may mess up your entire wedding timeline at this point) would be to do first look photos with FI at an awesome indoor spot before the ceremony.  It doesn't have to be at the venue, it could be anywhere, and if you found a covered area with cool architecture it could make for some great photos.  Lastly, you could also do a "rock the dress/trash the dress" photo session after your wedding.  This is becoming popular.......many brides and grooms will put on their fancy clothes again, get hair/makeup done and have a photoshoot to get all those images they couldn't on their wedding day for whatever reason.  You could have it outdoors over the summer pehaps, when everything is in full bloom. 
  • I was going to suggest the after wedding photo shoot as well.  We met with photographers this weekend that suggested that as an option, (we too are getting married in April and we also have a tight timeline in between ceremony and reception) But sending  lots of positive, sunny vibes your way. :)

Follow Me on Pinterest

• We got married in January, and we sort of had to do your rain back-up plan.

We got married on our dance floor, with all of our guests seated at their tables (we did our best to make sure all tables would have a decent view). Our ceremony was a justice of the peace, and the ceremony was 6 minutes long. No one complained about the seating, and I think people were intrigued that it was a bit different than weddings they had been to before.

We did a first look at a restaurant near our venue in Wallingford, and did some formals there.

Honestly, we had a blast. Time flew! And it was a very intimate experience.

I'm sending sunny vibes your way, since that's what you're hoping for. But I think your wedding will be special and memorable and perfect, regardless :D
  • What about having topiaries as the altar?  That way, if it's indoors, you can just move them into the reception space.  Maybe have some tulle so you can drape it behind the ceremony space to make it a bit more romantic and different than the dance floor later?

Anniversary

• Some brides rent tents in case of rain. If your outdoors ceremony site is large enough, you could set up a tent outside (although, then you'd have to walk outside in your dress in the rainy, muddy weather).

I definitely think having some really tall arrangements will help. You can have them anywhere you like if it doesn't rain (at the bar, at the ceremony, around the reception) but move them to the dance floor if it does rain.

Good luck, and I hope you get sunny weather!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards