Connecticut

Alfred Angelo - Manchester (long, sorry!)

Yes, I know they get a lot of bad reviews. But I live right in Manchester, so I went there anyway. Here's my experience if anyone wants a recent review of the place.

CN: Frustrating is how I would describe my overall experience there. They did, eventually, get everything right, but their customer service, to concur with a previous poster regarding them, is abysmal. Go to a boutique vs an Alfred Angelo or David's Bridal. I went to Montage in Niantic looking for my mom's dress and the experience there versus AA & DB was like night and day! The owner there made the point that at a boutique, you deal with somebody who has a career in bridal, not a career in retail. A boutique will be more than happy to work with your budget and out of town BMs, with the bonus that they actually know what they are doing.

Long story: I ordered my gown (http://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/styles/850) but I wanted it with the shrug that is on their belle gown (http://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/styles/206) The shrug is actually just a detachable piece of fabric, because you can get the belle gown with or without it.

Well, at the time of ordering, they told me I couldn't just order the shrug from belle with another gown. Annoying, but OK whatever. So instead they ordered an extra piece of fabric, which could then be made into an identical shrug. Also, SN,  they told me at that point in time that alterations would probably cost me around $400, thanks to my big booty being two sizes larger than my chest and waist.

10 weeks pass, I get my gown. Luckily it fits perfectly and I only need a hem, a bustle and to attach my shrug. But the fabric they ordered for the shrug didn't come with my gown. I would have expected it takes less time to cut a piece of fabric than sew a wedding gown, but they explained that it comes from a different factory. Fine, whatever.

I spent the following month calling or stopping in a couple times a week to check on the status and kept getting the same response "It hasn't shipped yet so we don't have a tracking number but it should get here soon."  After a month of that, I put my b!tch pants on, and told them to cancel my order and that I'd just use a piece of tulle from the bolt I have at home since the ivory is close enough to my gown anyway, and I'm tired of getting the same BS answer. I also mentioned my annoyance that all I wanted in the first place was the shrug from the Belle gown, and I think it's ridiculous that they have this whole marketing display behind their cash registers talking about customizing your gown when that is obviously not the case.

The manager looks into it further since I'm kind of being a total B in front of a few other customers, and finds out that the merchandising department asked the store three months prior to specify further what fabric I wanted. And then she found out that she actually CAN just order the shrug from the belle gown /face palm.

I just picked up the shrug today, so that only took six weeks longer than my gown. I'm not sure if they put a rush on it since I was given the run around, and they also didn't charge me the $8 difference between the shrug and the fabric price. (after an argument about whether I paid for the fabric to begin with - which luckily I had the receipt, and they were able to verify.)

So now on to alterations - which by the way, I won't be going back there. They don't need any more of my business after all that. But seriously - I would like to been able to get the same end result by just being my normally pleasant self.
image 312 Invited
image 182 Are ready to party!
image 127 Will be missing out!
image 3 Are MIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Alfred Angelo - Manchester (long, sorry!)

• Ugh.  Sorry to hear that!  We got our bridesmaid's dresses there - and we have not had a good experience there so far.  LOTS of communication issues from the beginning regarding appointments.  We got very little help and misinformation regarding the Jr. Bridesmaids gowns...and alterations has been a nightmare.  Apparently AA does not communicate with alterations since they are contracted out (they work right in their store, so I don't understand that).  They also do not provide alterations with the bride's names and the names of her bridal party - even though it is in AA's computer.  So, when the girls go in - alterations has no idea they are part of a larger bridal party - which means all your dresses get hemmed at different lengths.  Doesn't help to make a good impression when the girl at the front desk is texting on her cell phone.
    It's really unfortunate because since the flagship store opened in Manchester, a lot of the boutiques have stopped selling AA.  It's a shame because their dresses are nice, but the staff is not trained well at all. 

• What a nightmare.  Thank you for sharing. 
    counting down to the big day
  • Ugh, I had a miserable experience there trying on dresses so i can relate. Two of my bridesmaids ordered their dresses from that store, luckily no issues, but they are getting alterations done elsewhere. I'm sorry! But at least it all worked out!

Follow Me on Pinterest

• im glad i wasn't the only one who had a horrendous experience there! i went in last fall to look at bridesmaid dresses. no one helped us at all - the sales girls were actually pretty rude to us. i went only with my sister and she ordered the dress. i was told that it was a brand new dress, so there shouldnt be any issues with having it in stock when my other girls called to order. well, 1 month later when one of my BMs called we were told the dress was discontinued!! i spent days on the phone trying to find someone to help us. i guess it all worked out ok in the end (the one helpful person i talked to was able to have them shipped from a warehouse somewhere) - but it was the most frustrating experience ever, and i had to order all the dresses without the girls getting to try anything on. total nightmare.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I haven't been to the Manchester store but I did have a bad experience at the one located in MA.  I live in RI but am getting married in CT and the MA store was the closest one to me.  I had gone in to try on the dress just to make sure I liked it and I fell in love with it.  At this point though, I wasn't ready to buy the dress and had promised my sister I would try on some with her (she lives in FL).  So a few months later, I was in FL visiting my sister and we decided to take a girls trip with my nieces (my flower girls) to try on some dresses.  We went to the AA store in FL and I tried on a few more dresses along with the original dress and knew that was the one.  I bought the dress right then because I knew I wasn't going to look at anymore dresses.
    The girl who was my "consultant" was very nice but had no idea what she was doing.  She told me the dress was on sale but when I went to go pay for it, she told me she made a mistake and that because my dress was a Disney princess dress, it wasn't on sale.  No big deal though, I bought it anyway.  I verified with them several times that I needed the dress shipped to my house since I live in RI and they are in FL.  I ended up receiving an email a couple days later stating that my dress would be shipped to the store.  It didn't say which one or give any other information so I decided to call the MA store thinking they would be able to look it up too and maybe the dress would be shipped to them.  The attitude and rudeness I received from the person on the phone was shocking and turned me away from them for good.  This was her response to me "Well, why did you decide to buy your dress in FL?  Did you just happen to be down there and walk by a store and then decided to go in and buy the dress?".  Then she continued to tell me she had no information and couldn't help me.  I couldn't believe it.  I understand they work off commission but that is ridiculous.  I am now not getting my alterations done there and I am going elsewhere for my bridesmaid dresses.  It's too bad because I love their dresses but the customer service is horrible.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

148 Invited
    image 125 Are ready to party
    image 23 Are no fun!
    image 0 Haven't found the mailbox yet
  • Oh no! These posts are making me nervous, I just bought my wedding gown there. So far I haven't had any issues, the girl who has been working with me has been absolutely amazing. I just hope the dress comes in on time and that the alterations go well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards