Connecticut
Options

Newly Engaged - Budget Wedding Help!!

Hi guys!!
My FI proposed this weekend and I am so excited to no longer be lurking the boards but now to actually be able to be a part of planning a wedding!!!!

I need advice though! We are basically paying for our own wedding with a small (yet to be determined amount) from his parents....luckily my girls and I are very crafty so the invites and favors and stuff will be creative and budget friendly. However, I have always dreamed of an October wedding with a barn type setting.  Anyone have any venue ideas where we might be able to rent a location and have catered for around $50/pp? I know it is not a lot and I am willing to be flexible on just about everything. 

Look forward to talking to you all!!!!

Re: Newly Engaged - Budget Wedding Help!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations on your engagement and welcome (officially) to the boards!

As far as a budget wedding, we paid for our own wedding as well.  One "budget wedding" tip that comes to mind is keeping the wedding party & guest list small.  Guest list, for the obvious reasons of it helping keep costs down by not having to feed, send invites, or give favors to as many people, but also the wedding party because you would be surprised how much having a large wedding party adds to the costs of the wedding (from flowers, to hair/makeup if you are requiring them to have it done, to thank you gifts).

As far as barn weddings go, have you thought of the Barns at Weslyan Hills in Middletown?  I'm not sure what their costs is, but it's a very nice venue Smile

Good luck!
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married atThe Barns at Wesleyan Hills but it's $100/pp with a $4000 rental fee. Maybe try the Webb Barn? I'm not sure how much they charge though. Good luck and congratulations!!
  • Options
    emalee2285emalee2285 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips! We are definately having a small wedding party...just two for each of us. Our families are quite large though so my dream of having a small intimate affair for 50 isn't possible.  Since we are both close with our families we definately want to invite them although we are drawing the line at aunts and uncles and excluding children. That count alone is at 80 though! I checked out the Barns at Weslyan because I am actually from Middletown so I thought that would be convenient, but they end up around $90pp when you factor in all the little things.  Also, a good friend of my planned to have their wedding their last year and had so many problems with them that they ended up moving their entire wedding 3 months before the date!

Has anyone had any experience with the Middlesex Yacht Club?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's a bit of a drive, but my friend is getting married at The Ranch in Southwick, MA. I think she's at about $60 pp. Might be worth a call.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    try the coupola inn, I can't remember the town.  I believe my friend paid $65.- per person, room included. her wedding was really nice and the food was good.  If you can't find the info. online, PM me and I'll get all the info. from her.
    congrats and good luck.
    abc
  • Options
    JodiArielJodiAriel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Wickham Park. Its a log cabin.  The Delaney House catering company has a package where they include the park fee and it is $99/pp for station menu, and open bar.  Message me if you want to see pictures or have ?'s
    We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Barns at Wesleyan Hills has a 125 person minimum, so if you don't hit that number, I wouldn't bother calling them ( I did and asked if they can bend the rule in the off season for a Friday and they said no). We just toured the Webb Barn in Wethersfield. It is amazing!!! Their rental fee is $3,000 for 4 hours, $500 for every additional hour on Saturdays. They provide tables and chairs (the chairs are kind of corporate looking, so I would factor in the cost of renting chair covers). Another couple was viewing the Webb Barn while we were there. They wanted a fall date in 2012, but there are no Saturdays left. You could probably find a Friday or a Sunday date in October 2012. Plus that saves money!!! And for now the Webb Barn let's you bring in any caterer you want. We met with Cloud Nine catering on Saturday and got a great quote including linens, plates, silverware, and glasses. Hope this helps!!!
  • Options
    rswan412rswan412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure how far you're willing to go, but there is a place called Indian Ranch in Webster, MA that does wedding. Not sure how much it is, but I heard its affordable!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the board! I got married on Oct 1st at Crystal Peak in Winchester and the garden area was beautiful. I know you said you wanted a barn type venue but I had a fall theme wedding and it all looked amazing and I couldnt reccommend our venue more! I was also a budget bride and we paid for our whole wedding ourselves. I think everything was under $68 a person including taxes and gratuities and that was open bar and a sat too! Good luck!
    imageAnniversary Vacation
  • Options
    Whtara10Whtara10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at lighthouse point park therefore had to hire a caterer. We are using sweet relief catering. We are also paying for our own wedding (though now fi's parents decided to pay for the caterer) so I know how tight money can be. We are paying about $3000 for the food and linens through them. A BBQ buffet option seemed to be the cheapest and works well with our beach themed wedding. But if you go to their website you may be able to find something else that fits your budget as well. But if you go for a tasting make sure you're really hungry because they give you a lot of food!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    emalee2285emalee2285 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I have been having so much fun searching online for the perfect venues and although it is overwhelming at times, I am enjoying it thoroughly.  I have also heard amazing things about Sweet Relief Catering so I will definately be checking into them further. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!
    I just got married at the Webb Barn in Old Wethersfield (the day before that crazy snow storm!). We had it catered by Krause catering out of East Hartford. Here is our website that links to our vendors: chrisandkrista.us
    We got a great rate for both (Friday wedding +about $55pp for food)
    Another budget friendly recommendation: Flowers by Helena Willis via Perfect Princess Events http://perfectprincessevents.com/
    She was my favorite and least expensive vendor of my big day, I cannot recommend her or our DJ (HG entertainment) enough (although he was a little pricey, he was definitely worth it!). Feel free to e-mail me if you ever have questions. I'm always happy to help another rustic barn bride on a budget!
    KristaSpada@ymail.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards