Connecticut
Options

2 Questions: Ring and E-pics

I have 2 totally different questions, but I'm putting them in the same post because I'm tired and lazy right now. 

1)  We got engaged on Christmas and I used to shower/sleep with my ring on.  Sometimes it actually felt big.  Recently, my fingers apparently have swelled so much that I rarely wear my ring anymore.  I don't like to wear it to work anyway because I'm rough with my hands, but I've found that I can really only wear it for a few hours when I do wear it.  I get a rash that lasts for days even if I don't wear my ring and put cortizone cream on it a few times daily.  I plan on going to the jeweler to see if it's a sizing issue.  But until I get to that, I'm open to suggestions.  I know someone on here works at a jewelery store but I can't remember who.

2)  We are having our e-pics done next Monday and I'm torn on where to go.  We wanted to have some done at the beach in Niantic where my family has a house.  My cousin has the same photographer and got hers done there a few years ago as well.  We also wanted to do downtown Middletown because that was our first date so it's also got reason behind it. My photographer said we could do 2 locations but they have to be closer together so now I don't know what to do. I was thinking Middletown wouldn't be a huge deal since that's where my photographer lives but I don't want to push the issue. Any suggestions on that?

Re: 2 Questions: Ring and E-pics

• Options
    edited December 2011
    1) My husband is allergic to his wedding band. We didn't find out until after the wedding when he started wearing it all the time :/ He has dyshidrotic eczema caused by nickel and cobalt used in most precious metal alloys. His ring is titanium, but the doctor said that traces of both metals are used in virtually all metal jewelry types (we had hoped making a switch to gold would help, but apparently it's in there too). Maybe you have this issue as well? Or maybe a lesser, but still allergic reaction to something in the ring? His hands break out in hundreds of tiny blisters from it. We've been trying to research something for him to get, and a coworker of his suggested QVC. Apparently they have a line of hypoallergenic jewelry for people with these types of allergies. Maybe that could be something to look into...in any case good luck!

2) I'm not much help in this case. I prob wouldn't push the issue either because I'm very non-confrontational. I'd go with the Middletown pictures though. I think it will make them all the more special because of the special meaning behind them, and you can get lots of cool different kinds of shots downtown then you could on a beach. Can't wait to see the pictures!

• Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1) What type of material is your e-ring?  It sounds like you are having an allergic reaction to the metal.  Is it possible that your e-ring is white gold and the rhodium plating has worn off?  If that's the case I'd look into other metals like palladium or platinum for your e-ring setting and wedding band.

2) Go with a place that means a lot to you.  We had our e-pics done at Harkness because that's where DH proposed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm the jeweler. :-)  So, first of all, people's fingers often fluctuate a lot with the weather and temperature.  I'm this way.  I actually have rings that I can only wear in the winter because my finger size changes so much.  I'm not sure if this is why your ring has so suddenly become small on you, but you may see changes in that as the weather starts to cool off.  Either way though, it sounds like the fit isn't right.

As far as the rash goes.  How often do you clean your ring?  I often have people come in complaining about rashes where they wear their ring and 99% of the time it is because they don't clean their ring enough or at all.  Sometimes those rings are just gold bands w/ no stones, so they assume that they don't have to clean it.  You can try cleaning it yourself with mild soap and water, but the best thing would be to take it to your jeweler and have them use the ultrasonic cleaner followed by the steamer.  After that, you can maintain it yourself by rinsing it off each day after wearing it.   The combination of an improper fit and a dirty ring is the perfect equation for a rash.  Once you've had it properly cleaned, hold off on wearing your ring until the rash goes away and your finger is normal again.

You should always take your ring off at night, when doing tough jobs with your hands or when using cleaning products or swimming in a pool.  Give your fingers a rest at night.  Chlorine actually causes what is called chemical corrosion.  It eats away and pits the metal making it brittle.  Eventually your ring can crack from chlorine/bleach exposure.

Like banana asked, what metal is your ring made of?  Honestly, out of the hundreds and hundreds of people that I have fit for rings, I can only think of 1 or 2 people  that cannot wear gold or platinum.  Platinum is 90-95% pure (only alloyed with a small percentage of other metal). If your ring is new and made of gold, it is unlikely that you are having an allergic reation if you've worn other gold and haven't had a problem.  If it's an old ring (i.e. antique, inherited), it's possible that it could be an allergic reaction because some old gold was alloyed with nickel.  New gold is not.  If it is a white gold ring and the rhodium plating has come off a bit, your jeweler should be able to re-rhodium it for you for a small fee.  If they can't, I can recommend some places for you.

I do not recommend you getting a palladium ring unless it's gold alloyed with palladium.  My e ring is 18K palladium (i.e. 18k gold alloyed with palladium).  Palladium is a metal in the platinum family (like rhodium) and is white so 18K pall doesn't need to be rhodium plated.  You likely would not have any allergic reaction to this metal.  Palladium on its own is very hard to work with and the jeweler needs an oxygen free environment to work it.  Most jewelers cannot do this, so if you ever need it sized or repaired you will have a hard time finding someone to do it or you will need to send it back to the manufacturer for work.

Sorry for the long winded answer!  I hope it helps though.  Good luck!  If you need any more advice, feel free to contact me. :-) 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That was all very interesting... I'm going to stop wearing my ring while swimming in a pool when I can help it.  And I usually take it off for cleaning jobs anyway, but good to know!

OP, I have no advice on e-photo locations, but as far as sizing - mine was a bit big (like I was slightly afraid it would just slide off on its own, so I kept my fingers curled into my palm when walking so it wouldn't fall off).  So I had sizing beads put into it.  They're two little metal balls that are welded onto the bottom of the inside of the ring.  It keeps top-heavy rings (like mine) from spinning, but it also helps bridge that gap between too tight and too loose.  When it's hot, your fingers can still slip in around the beads (even bigger knuckles, so it keeps rings from spinning when someone has proportionally larger knuckles), but when it's loose it will essentially hold your finger in place as if the ring was smaller.  I LOVE them!  You can feel them once in awhile, but it wasn't a hard adjustment at all.  And our jeweler added them for free!

Here's a pic:

Anniversary

• Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and ditto PP on the size fluctuation.  When I'm hot in the morning I can't take off my ring.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_2-questions-ring-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:5b663bf8-8e78-4cc4-a320-075c522e5f65Post:18a84640-6f37-4d82-b836-547d3793a0ce">Re: 2 Questions: Ring and E-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm the jeweler. :-)  So, first of all, people's fingers often fluctuate a lot with the weather and temperature.  I'm this way.  I actually have rings that I can only wear in the winter because my finger size changes so much.  I'm not sure if this is why your ring has so suddenly become small on you, but you may see changes in that as the weather starts to cool off.  Either way though, it sounds like the fit isn't right. As far as the rash goes.  How often do you clean your ring?  I often have people come in complaining about rashes where they wear their ring and 99% of the time it is because they don't clean their ring enough or at all.  Sometimes those rings are just gold bands w/ no stones, so they assume that they don't have to clean it.  You can try cleaning it yourself with mild soap and water, but the<strong> best thing would be to take it to your jeweler and have them use the ultrasonic cleaner followed by the steamer.</strong>  After that, you can maintain it yourself by rinsing it off each day after wearing it.  
    Posted by akulaji[/QUOTE]
    I had a jeweler tell me not to get my ring cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner since it shakes the ring and can actually make the stones loose...is this true??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't had issues with my E-ring yet, however had recent major problems with my other favorite ring that I wore for years!
    I had this ring that I wore EVERYDAY for the past 4 years, and suddenly this summer, I have this awful rash where it sits- itchy, flaky and red- GROSS!
    I realized it was because water was getting stuck underneath the ring and rubbing on my skin.  I'm glad I haven't had any issues with my E-ring yet (however, I've onyl had ti for a little under a month at this point so my fingers are crossed!)
    I'm a little worried, because it is hollow underneath the main stone...
    Have you thought about this potential "Water issue" with your skin not being able to breathe?
    Good Luck- let me know if you find a solution!
  • Options
    rswan412rswan412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How frustrating! Sounds like an irritation/allergic reaction, Ditto PP!

As for E-Pics..go the place with the most meaning to you, the emotion will come out in the pictures :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_2-questions-ring-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:5b663bf8-8e78-4cc4-a320-075c522e5f65Post:b8f5fd82-5861-4f41-8a62-967fb996495d">Re: 2 Questions: Ring and E-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2 Questions: Ring and E-pics : I had a jeweler tell me not to get my ring cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner since it shakes the ring and can actually make the stones loose...is this true??
    Posted by LoriG41[/QUOTE]
    No, the ultrasonic will not make your stones loose.  If anything the ultrasonic is removing the dirt that is acting like cement and holding in stones that are already loose.  If they come loose in the unit, it's because they were already ready to come out.  Better to have the jeweler properly clean it and check the stones at the same time than have you lose them at home.  Regular wear loosens prongs... the metal also expands and contracts with the temperature.  It's just natural wear for them to loosen.

I wouldn't recommend using an ultrasonic unit at home.  They sell small home units, but you really need to know what you're doing (plus those aren't necessarily that effective).  Honestly, a good jewelry knows how to use them properly and it's an invaluable tool.  You don't leave a ring in the unit for hours.  I usually only leave it in long enough to loosen the dirt. Usually about a minute or so unless the ring is REALLY caked with gunk.  It's impossible to get the same effect by just using a toothbrush and a solution.  It's the vibrations that are able to get into every little crevice, which you want.  It's actually the dirt and grit that build up in the tiny little areas that can eventually wear down the metal.  It acts like sandpaper. You should have your rings checked every 4-6 months to make sure the stones are secure and the prongs tight.  The ultrasonic loosens all the tiny little dirt particles and the steamer essentially blows them away.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for clarifying that akulaji!  I had no idea what an ultrasonic cleaner actually did so it made me nervous but now it makes sense!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_2-questions-ring-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:5b663bf8-8e78-4cc4-a320-075c522e5f65Post:c9434a34-0127-466e-8ed9-fcb2b5aa2022">Re: 2 Questions: Ring and E-pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for clarifying that akulaji !  I had no idea what an ultrasonic cleaner actually did so it made me nervous but now it makes sense!
    Posted by LoriG41[/QUOTE]
    You're welcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards