Connecticut
Options

Flower Budget

I am so lost when it comes to flowers... I have no idea what the average budget is that people set aside for flowers.  I am in no way extravagant... I do NOT want to break the bank with my flowers and I am pretty simple.  I know what type of flowers I want to use, and my florist said to tell her what my budget is and she would work with that and make it fabulous.

I'm nervous that if I give her too high a number for what I am willing to pay because I THINK it is an average/normal amount then I will have way more than I expected or wanted, but if I give her a price that is really lower than what the norm is, I will have a cheap looking wedding flower-wise....

HELP- what is a reasonable price to expect/quote her, without breaking the bank or making my wedding cheap?  What should I budget for this?

Re: Flower Budget

• Options
    ktanddevangktanddevang member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
      I told my florist between $1800 and 2000 with 15 centerpieces, bouquets, ceremony decorations, etc made of dahlias and orchids and she was able to make it work but we are having pretty simple centerpieces and some of the ceremony decorations are being reused at the reception. I think you could probably even go a little cheaper depending on what flowers you used. 
       However, I also had two florists tell me that they only did weddings where the flower budget was at LEAST $4,000 so it really varies depending on what you want and who you work with. I would say to really pick a price that you feel most comfortable with and that fits what you really want for you wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dpantaleonidpantaleoni member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I told my florist $6000-800, but we didn't need any centerpeices.  I wound up going over a bit, but it was my own fault.  At the end, all I wanted to do was get things over with and wound up finding a picture of a bouquet I loved and never asked about price.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I had the same worries as you. So what I did was found 3 places locally to me and the venue.  I went to all 3 with pictures of things that I liked. I told them exactly what I needed. I wasn't committed to using any particular flowers except for deep purple calla's for my bouquet. I told all of them how many centerpieces, bouquets, bout's, etc.  Then I waited for their quotes. I remember being so impatient, it took a couple of weeks to get all 3 back.  One of them was super out of whack $8k.  The other 2 were just slightly above what I wanted for a price.  So I went back to the one we had the best connection with and asked her if there was a way to cut it back by around $300.  She easily did by changing a few types of flowers to what was in season during the winter. She sent me pics of the flowers and then actually did a trial centerpiece for us. ! So we're spending $3000 and couldn't be happier! (Azaleafloraldesigns.com)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Well  I think you should find flowers that you like for bouquets and centerpeices etc. talk to her and figure out a range. I had Jane ( Just for you) and I went in with pictures of what I wanted she told me how much it would cost to copy the picture and then showed me cheaper alternitives to making it look very similar and saving money. I didn't have a budget but I know I didn't want to spend thousands. I went in with what I wanted showed her she gave me price options and I went home and decided on what I felt was a good amount to spend.

Also meet with a few to see what others are like and there prices. I met with a florist whos related to DH family. she was about 600$ cheaper but UHG I HATED HER. So disorganized and scatterbrained. She was a great florist but I couldn't let myself go with her.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp's I went to my first florist appointment and told her what I was looking for and gave her a price range to stay within, and she came in under what I was expecting! We incorporated candles into the centerpieces and decorations so that kept costs down significantly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a hard time with this as well, but I also had the issue of really having something in mind for what I wanted to do for centerpieces.  If you are open and you go in with a few ideas and things you like any florist will be able to work with you.  Start with a budget on the lower side and if they come back with something you aren't totally happy with then work from there and add/change elements.  Also consider if you want flowers for the ceremony, and if so, can the florist take them after and reuse for the reception.  Try to not be intimidated too much- and ask a lot of questions and don't be afraid to say you don't like something!  (i was afraid of hurting feelings but hey- it's your day and they aren't doing it for free!) We are spending a little over $4500 for everything- 8 bridesmaids, 8 groomsmen and 18-20 tables.  Good luck!
  • Options
    b4sr71b4sr71 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im also having this issue - I feel your pain!! My Advice is to get multiple consultations - and pick the cheapest. If they are all around the same price then you need to change your vision, or suck it up! lol. Thats what we are doing!!

ps- I do find it upsetting to spend 3000 on something that will die in two days but.. you only get married once right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks ladies!

MWITTER- This is so funny!  I read your post and then saw that you went with Azalea Floral Designs.  One of my very good friends is one of the two owners of the business and is the reason I asked the question.  She has been acting as my unoffical "wedding planner" and when we got engaged she immediately offered to do my flowers.  She and I were talking back and forth about  what her vision was for me knowing my personality and colors, etc... and considering what my vision was for my flowers and she asked me what price range I wanted to be in. I had no idea about what different flowers cost and what else she could do to minimize cost or what an average was- so I asked on the boards last night.  I wanted to get an idea of what average was so that when I went to her with a price I didn't insult her and make her think that I was looking for a huge price reduction just because we are friends.  I wanted to make sure that I was giving her a good range that would look good and not be insulting.

Christine from Azalea's was with me when I got my dress and will be front and center at my wedding.  Thanks for the help- I knew her work was good- I just had no idea how to give her a ballpark that wouldn't be insulting.

Thanks again ladies!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome! Christine is who we are working with! Too funny small world. She doesn't seem like the type that would get insulted, though, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards