Connecticut

Dress Shopping

Hi Ladies!

I'm a long-time lurker (since waaay before getting engaged), but now that I've finally started wedding planning, I could use some help!
I don't want to spend more than $1000 on my dress.  I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.  I've heard terrible things about David's Bridal and was wondering if anyone knows a budget friendly bridal salon in New Haven or Fairfield counties?
Thanks so much in advance!!

Re: Dress Shopping

• no but i think u should check davids out. just dont get ur dress altered there..... i got my dress $534 from there it was fine i wasnt expecting too much help from the lady bc i went there w the list of dresses i wanted to try on.... hope this helps
    Anniversary

TTC starting 8/2014 :)
    My Ovulation Chart

• rissaroo82rissaroo82 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2012
    Have you heard of Vows? It's a bridal outlet that sells designer sample dresses for at least 50% off.  TLC made a tv show based off their bridal shoppe, called I Found the Gown. It's kinda far, but could really be worth the drive if you're on a budget.  The shoppe is in Watertown, Mass.  I had always wanted to go there and went there last week. They have a very large selection and quite alot of dresses for $1000 or under. I really liked the consultant I had, she was extremely knowledgable. I think her name was Sara?  Just as an FYI, they have some specific policies if you put down a deposit on one of more dresses, so I would make sure you understand them and read the information before putting any money down. With that say, that have great dresses at great prices, as long as you don't mind driving there. You can always get it altered here in CT. 

Above is the link to their website. They have pictures of alot of their dress inventory online, but they have so many more dresses at the store.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

• I would check out Julie Allen in Newtown. I got my dress there. My budget was $1000, and I paid way less then that. I had a great experience there, and we also purchased all bridesmaids and MOB dress from there.
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Harold's in New Haven had a lot of dresses in that price range. I bought one of their sample dresses for less than $1,000.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_dress-shopping-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:88aa40a1-6ef9-4a7b-9615-6a849008bbb9Post:66dfe4b2-2f3f-4897-8bab-71069a7ff977">Re: Dress Shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would check out Julie Allen in Newtown. I got my dress there. My budget was $1000, and I paid way less then that. I had a great experience there, and we also purchased all bridesmaids and MOB dress from there.
    Posted by Christine9866[/QUOTE]

Ditto Julie Allen's. I bought my dress there for just over $1000 but they had a great selection of dresses for less.
    imageAnniversary
  • I would def check out David's still.....while I did not buy my dress from there I started my search there for dress styles etc. I also purchased my shower dress & rehearsal dress there...as well as my day of shoes, veil, undergarments lol ALOT basically! I had a great experience at the Danbury store...there is also a store opening in Norwalk just not sure when. On the same road as the one opening in Norwalk, there is Sukran's Bridal. While she is a little off ...her pricing is phenomenal & she can order any dress you would like! GL!!!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • My friend julie allen. I might use them too. 
  • My daughter bought her dress at David's in Manchester. She had a wonderful exprience, there. Even though the the shop was very busy that day, her consultant was attentive and encouraged her to try on as many dresses as she wanted. The dress she ordered came in within 6 weeks.

My mother also bought her dress for the wedding from David's, which she was able to take home with her the same day. There were no problems, whatsoever.

• Thanks, everyone!  I'll be checking out Julie Allen's this week!
  • Harold's in New Haven and April Rose in Guilford both have dresses under $1000.  They're really nice at both places!
  • So excited!  I ended up going to Bliss Bridal in Cheshire this morning and had a fabulous experience!  My dress is a little more than I wanted to spend, but not uncomfortable.  Thanks for all the advice!
  • Congrats on finding your dress! I love the ladies at bliss, that is where I bought my dress as well!

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Mariellas in rocky hill or the wedding dress in Portland ct. I had good experiences at both and ultimately bought my dress at the wedding dress. My budget was $1500, but I am pretty sure they had dresses under $1,000
  • I would also suggest looking at consignment shops. I got a $2,000 dress brand new for $500 at a bridal consignment shop in Glastonbury. 

I also liked that it's a bit "greener" to buy a dress already made and I was happy to support a local business rather than a national chain. I was more confortable walking out of the store with my dress because waiting for it would make me anxious. It also means I can wear it whenever I want ;-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_dress-shopping-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:88aa40a1-6ef9-4a7b-9615-6a849008bbb9Post:339f297e-5f19-4ccf-80f7-a383961f3b11">Re: Dress Shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would also suggest looking at consignment shops. I got a $2,000 dress brand new for $500 at a bridal consignment shop in Glastonbury.  I also liked that it's a bit "greener" to buy a dress already made and I was happy to support a local business rather than a national chain. I was more confortable walking out of the store with my dress because waiting for it would make me anxious. It also means I can wear it whenever I want ;-)
    Posted by BelleBride13[/QUOTE]

This is definitely a good idea, depending on your size.  I looked at the consignment shop in Glastonbury, but unfortunately I am a size zero, and the selection for small sizes was slim pickings when I went there.  I found a dress I loved but it was a size 8, and alterations wouls have taken away some of the aspects of the dress that I liked.
  • Try J Crew - they have some very nice simple dresses for under 1k.  Also, I personally looked at Maggie Sottero and that designer has some lovely dresses for right around the 1k mark.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards