Connecticut
Options

Vendor Reviews

I haven't posted in a long time, probably like a year, but I know how much other people's reviews helped me when I was planning so here you go!

My wedding was January 9, 2010 at Mill on the River.

Venue-Mill on the River- A+
Everything was fantastic, the food was amazing, the room was set up exactly how we wanted it, the banquet manager dealt with my craziness very well and the night went off without a hitch. My husband and I got great service from the bar and waitstaff, we never had to wait for anything. My guests raved about the food and I was very happy with the amount of food provided and the quality. For the price, I feel like got a GREAT deal!!!!

Photographer- Candace Jeffery Photography- A+++++
Candace was my favorite vendor. We had booked her unlimted package which included an engagement session and two shooters all day the day of the wedding. I recommend an engagement session, it was a great way to get used to being photographed and get to know the style of the photographer. Her photos came out amazing, and she did this awesome slideshow at the wedding of all the formals we did before the ceremony. Candace made us feel like we were old friends, she is just an awesome person.

DJ- Music to your Ears, LLC- A
Ted was a great DJ, he kept people on the dance floor all night long and even got on the dance floor himself to show off some moves! He was great when we wanted to do silly dances like the Cupid Shuffle, he would teach everyone the dance moves before hand. He hooked up to ITunes at the reception too so if someone requested something he didn't have, he would download it right then and there. It was a nice touch!!!!

Flowers- Broadbrook Gardens- A
This florist was on my recommended vendors list from the venue. They do this beautiful thing with the room at the Mill on the River, they hang tulling and lights, it is so beautiful!!! I gave them a budget, told them what I wanted and they did an amazing job! My centerpieces were better than I could have imagined and my bouquet was so pretty and very well made. They delivered to two different places and were a pleasure to deal with!

Dress- David's Brial- B
David's Bridal is what it is. I didn't get great service. I am giving them a B because when I decided I hated the dress I bought, they let me return it to buy another one. The second time service still sucked but I love my second dress!

Alterations- Roma Tailors, Newington- A
Walter did a great job and his prices were so much better than David's Bridal! He did a bustle and it lasted all night, it never broke. He also sewed in cups for me so I didn't have to wear a bra.

Invitations, place cards, table numbers- Alaun by Design- A+++++
This place rocks!!!!!!!!!!! I was hesitant at first because they were a small company but my invitations looked like they cost an arm and leg when they were SO reasonable. They are able to change and customize any of their designs too- Merissa was great to deal with, I knew I had to order my placecards and table numbers from them too because it was such a great deal for such beautiful professional work!

Justice of the Peace- Steven Mitchell- F
I met this guy at a brial show and I thought he was great, charasmatic, whatever. He basically ruined my wedding. First, he didn't show up for the rehearsal, we waited 45 minutes for him and when I could finally get him on the phone he said he forgot and would take $50 off his fee. That didn't really help me any. I spoke with him that night to talk about the ceremony since we couldn't do a rehearsal at that point and I told him the background info I sent him on my husband and myself was the story of how he proposed (he has asked that I email him something to help personalize the ceremony). The day of the wedding he showed up, (although 30 minutes after he said he would be there) and the ceremony started with him thanking the guests for being there on behalf of the town of Simsbury and the CT Tourism Board. Ummmm, okay. We are in South Windsor and most of the guests are from CT. He then proceeded to read my email- word for word and tell the guests that this is how we met. I had to interupt him and correct him. So he reads the email outloud and doesn't even change the narrator to himself, so I narrated the entire thing and all I could think was thank goodness I wrote a good email. He was SO unprepared and obnoxious!!!!!!!!! I couldn't even focus on the actual ceremony because I was so upset. The icing on the cake is that he still hasn't filed our marriage license with the town clerk so now, more than two weeks later I still can't do my name change. It was and still is, the biggest regret I have from the entire wedding.

Cake- Mill on the River- A
Yumm- the venue provided us with a cake as they have a pastry chef onsite and it was SO good :) Black forest!!!!! Amazing!

Favors- Discount Mugs- C
I loved my favors (personalized champagne glasses) but it was really difficult to order them and I wasn't able to view a proof which left me in a state of panic until they arrived. Customer service was non-existent.

Makeup- Erin Infantino (Naomi's salon)- A+
Erin is a dear friend and in my opinion, the most talented person I know. She did an incredible job and gave me lashes to die for, which is exactly what I wanted!!!!! I felt and looked so great that day!!!!!

Hair- Lyndsy Sager (Naomi's salon)- A+
Lyndsy is a girl I met and hired before she started to work for Naomi but I can see why they scooped her up! I am still getting compliments on how awesome my hair looked!!!

I have pictures if anyone wants to see (for hair and makeup or flowers or anything) but I don't know how to put them in a post so just page me or pm me.

Re: Vendor Reviews

• Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow i'm so sorry your JP sucked :(  that is REALLY unprofessional and totally inappropriate.  you should complain to the town that he is a JP from...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Can I do that? I would love to, I feel like I was cheated out of a wedding ceremony......I would hate to have anyone else go through what I went through.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow... I totally agree with Sandra.  You should report to the town about that JP.  I don't know what I would have done.  Aside from that, I'm so happy you had such a wonderful day!!!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the very detailed vendor reviews. That was very helpful. Did you have your ceremony at Mill on the River? If so, how was that set up?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I had my ceremony there as well. Since it was January we couldn't do a gazebo ceremony so we decided to have the ceremony in the same room as the reception. We were upstairs in the Rafters room and we had a choice of either getting married on the dance floor or getting married in front of the fireplace. We chose the fireplace. They set up the tables so I had room to walk through the room and up to the fireplace where my husband was waiting with the JP. Everyone just sat at their tables. It worked out perfectly!!!!!
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow yes definitely complain to the town about your JP! That's awful! I'm glad the rest of your day was amazing! I would love to see pictures!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's reassuring. We are in the beginning phases of planning my daughter's wedding. I love MOR restaurant, but have never attended any banquets there. Glad to hear that they treated you so well and definitely want to put it on our list of places to check out. Thanks.

• Options
    Vikki2payVikki2pay member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear the JP was terible, but it sounds like the rest of the day was great.
  • Options
    jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry about your JP. That's horrible. The highlight of the wedding is supposed to be your ceremony after all! I agree with Carrie and Sandra about reporting the JP! Shame on him!

Glad you liked the MOR! I work down the road from it!
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was actually thinking of having my wedding at Mill on the river in the upstairs room (as well as my ceremony) but was worried that there wouldn't be good space for pictures because we'll have a November date. Did you feel like there were enough photo op spots? I"m also a litle worried about the cocktail hour being in the same area as the reception. Did you have an issue with people going back to their seats during cocktail hour?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did all of our fomal photos at Hartford City Hall (which is free to use, you just have to contact the Mayor's office to get a permit) so photo space was not really an issue for us, however the pro pics that I have seen from the ceremony and reception were great. Our photographers didn't have to bring in any extra lighting or anything. The kissing bridge is a great photo op spot and in November I bet you could still do some outside shots. I did in January!

Cocktail hour was in the room area where the dance floor was, some people, especially the older crowd at my wedding went back to their seats and talked with their food and drinks, but for the most part everyone mingled in the bar area where the food was. I think it was actually better that way because people didn't HAVE to stand around if they didn't want to. I know that our grandmothers appreciated being able to sit down at their table and relax.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards