Connecticut

Bummer (Videographer Question)

I saw a friend's wedding video this weekend and fiance and I loved it. So I contacted the company and they said their packages START at $4,000. UGH, that's a wee bit out of our budget. So far I've only found one other videographer (vividography) my fiance and I really liked. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Also, because now I'm curious, poll question!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bummer (Videographer Question)

• edited December 2011
    I think they're largely overpriced. I offered one of my younger brother's friends who is working on video production to film for just a seat at the wedding.  My brother said he would do the edits himself (also in video production).  Do you  have any young siblings who might have connections to film students?  Perhaps contacting a film school isn't a bad idea.  I'm sure there are lots of starving artists out there who would love to film a wedding.  Good luck! 
  • estegemanestegeman member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I contacted vivivography last week inquiring about pricing for my winter wedding and Don told me that packages start at $2000.  Another bride recently posted that her wedding video from him was $1500.  Apparently Don just raised his prices and will not budge.  He was totally unwilling to accept $1500.  Seeing as how he just did a wedding for $1500 and now he wont consider that price for a WINTER wedding I will not be using them.  However $2000 is half the price of the other videographer you liked, so he may be in your price range.

Good Luck!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure what part of CT you're in, but i'm using JPod Productions (www.jpodproductions.com) - about $1800. I didn't want a video and FI did - and that's something i've heard from a lot of girls - they wish they got a video because the day goes by so fast!
  • edited December 2011
    i think that is too much money for a videographer. check out Shawn, www.lairproductions.com his packages are about $1,000 to $2,000
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our videographer was packaged with our photography from MJS Studios and we got a great deal. (but you could just book them as stand alone videographer as well.) I can't imagine not having the wedding video. The day goes by so fast, and you don't see a lot of stuff going on and it's great to have live footage of the ceremony, reception entrances, toasts, dances, and all the funny stuff throughout the night that still pictures just don't do justice for.

$4k is an outrageous price, and there are definitely a lot of videographers for much cheaper so don't worry!

http://www.mjsphotostudio.com/
  • cdbishopcdbishop member
    edited December 2011
    I found that Storybook Image has videography packages for $1,700.  You can look into that as well.  I think $4,000 is too much. 
  • Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    edited December 2011
    I think 4K is way too much.  I voted $2-3,000 on the poll but we're just over $2000 by about a hundred
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll be using Vividography, though my photographer Alexis Stein Photography has a relationship with AJ Ingoglia, whose packages start around $1600, and the one I would have picked had I gone with him was $2000.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    There are all types of videography out there.  You can get cheap videography no problem, but you will usually get cheap quality too.  Are you looking for something that will be highly edited, into a film that you will be proud to show people?  or are you more concerned with someone who can document the day with no creative editing involved. That's where the big difference comes in with price.  You are paying mostly for the editing that the company does.  My videographer, Inspiration in Motion, pointed out how important a professional is, talking about the ways they capture audio, and about they have the right equipment for the dark reception halls.  They also talk about how they spend many many days editing our film and the price is based mostly on the editing time, and not the one day they are filming during our wedding.  It was very interesting, as i didn't even think of that.  This is one of the most important days in our lives, so i figure, it's worth it to be safe and get a great quality film for a little bit more money. :)

Most videographers in this area don't start at 4K (at least thats what i found when researching for my videographer), but some go up that high in their better packages.  Just check around, and you'll find something that you'll be happy with.  Inspiration in Motion is very good, and they start at 1,995.

Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That does seem like a lot.  We used Digital Media Odyssey... given it was about 2 years ago when I booked him and we negotiated on price, but we still paid under $3000.  We got a premium package too with full edited videos, shot in HD, BluRay discs and DVDs, highlight reel, full footage, etc.  Matt Fink is the owner and by far one of the most talented videographer and editors I've ever met.

Here's the link to our sneak peek trailer in case you want to see a sample of his work:

http://www.dmodyssey.com/blog/2010/5/26/carrie-and-jeremy-sneak-peek.html
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We're not actually using a videographer but I was looking into Jeremy White who works for Studio Foto. I've never seen videos like his before. They look more like a beautiful little movie. I don't remember what he charges but definitely check him out. 
  • TBee99TBee99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for all the recommendations.

akulaji- you looked so amazing in your video and i loved the ben and jerry sundae bar!

i think our problem is we like the packages that look more like movies...but we'd also like the unedited footage as well. one videographer i asked about that said he only gives you a highly stylized 10-15 movie, so you may not get your ceremony in full. i'd like to have that option if we wanted, you know? i'll check out some more of these and see if we can find what we are looking for. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_bummer-videographer-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:a7fe755e-9d13-4df0-ada2-a3fbd98158b2Post:0632e334-8e5f-4278-9a43-cf3dc25533ca">Re: Bummer (Videographer Question)</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks for all the recommendations. akulaji- you looked so amazing in your video and i loved the ben and jerry sundae bar ! i think our problem is we like the packages that look more like movies...but we'd also like the unedited footage as well. one videographer i asked about that said he only gives you a highly stylized 10-15 movie, so you may not get your ceremony in full. i'd like to have that option if we wanted, you know? i'll check out some more of these and see if we can find what we are looking for. :)
    Posted by TBee99[/QUOTE]
    Thanks!  Matt gave us everything... unedited footage from the whole day, edited footage of us getting ready, the ceremony, photo session during cocktail hr, reception, speeches, etc, etc, etc.  He also did a recap edited video of the whole day along with the sneak peek reel.  He was willing to negotiate with us on price also and tailor the package.  Shop around and don't be scared to try and negotiate price... like if you can pay in cash, etc.</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • bmetz34bmetz34 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tbee- I love the look of vividography and we're meeting with him in a couple weeks.  Also, I met the woman who does American Bride at a bridal show and loved the way her stuff came out.  she has a couple packages, the cheapest is $1200 for just unedited stuff, $1500 is edited, and it comes out really cool.  She has a sample video on her facebook page.  email me at honeeb34 at aol dot com if you want me to look up her name.  I know she's still working on a webpage.  My friend that is getting married in a couple weeks is using her and loves her stuff. 
    8/12 March Siggy- reception venue!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards