Connecticut
Options

Addressing STDs

We are having a pretty informal/laid back wedding.  I starting writing down my guest list and was planning on addressing the STD's such as:

John & Jane Smith

Is this inappropriate?  My mom thinks I need to say "Mr and Mrs. Smith" which I think sounds too formal.

I've been searching for wedding etiquette online but am looking for your opinions :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Addressing STDs

• Options
    I think on STDs you can do it how ever you'd like- people will see how formal it is by the invitation.  I personally wrote "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith" because it was easiest for me. 
  • Options
    I'm of the belief that the STD is supposed to set the tone for the wedding. Guests will make hotel reservations and may purchase attire based on them. The first glimpse of formality is how you address the envelope. If you leave off titles, that is more casual than one with titles. The other danger with no titles is that you could be offending old school guests who do not want to be called by their first names.
  • Options
    Ditto to the PP.

We did Mr. & Mrs. as well!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I did mine very casual.  For people I hadn't met or wasn't really close to I addressed them as Mr. and Mrs.  For family and friends I see on a regular basis I just did their names.  And for some I got very casual such as Uncle Bob, Soon-to-be Mr. and Mrs. 
  • Options
    I did Mr and Mrs/Ms for ours
  • Options
    Thanks for the opinions everyone :)

Carebear- I think we're going to do what you did- addressing people I don't know too well and older couples as mr. and mrs. and friends by their first names.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Since you're having an informal wedding, I don't think you need 'Mr & Mrs' need to be on the STD's. 

I think the invitations are what set the tone for the formality of the wedding. Of course the STD's are usually the first thing your guests see regarding your wedding, but of all the formal weddings I've been to, all of the STD's have been less formal. Besides, as you stated in your OP you're not having a formal wedding. 
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards