Connecticut

Storm Update - everyone ok?

So I know many don't have power down there. My parents and friends in the East Hartford/Manchester area are saying its insane the trees and lines down. How did everyone fare with the storm?

Re: Storm Update - everyone ok?

• edited December 2011
    Ok here in Wallingford.  My parents and gram are over for dinner and staying for the night.  They said it looks crazy out there with downed trees and power lines.  How awful.  Two months later and here we are again!
    Anniversary
  • jacki8788jacki8788 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    still no power here in Meriden...lost it around 2pm yesterday. trees and power lines down everywhere... cell phone service is crappy, even. but my office down in Norwalk still has power, so I don't even get a snow day out of the deal! :-\ lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LaurenG1986LaurenG1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is scary outside!! There are trees and wires down everywhere!! We live in Glastonbury and drove to FI's parents house in East Hartford...we kept having to turn around and go down different streets to avoid the wires and trees. A lot of towns are 100% without power! But luckily...I think everyone is safe!! Just bored and cold in the dark! :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rswan412rswan412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Barely anything even on the ground anymore here...the sun melted it all..hope everyone and furbabies are all safe and warm!
  • edited December 2011
    no power still in meriden. Over in southington at the future in - laws. they have power, luckliy, but it doesn't seem like anyone around them does
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm in little East Hampton and we are part of the 10% with power right now.  We lost it yesterday from about 4-8 while I was at work then it came back on.  We lost it again from 6am-6pm today.  We went to FI's grandparents house to watch football like we usually do on Sundays.  While I was there I got a text from my neighbor and kept checking facebook to see how we were faring.  We are back on (hopefully for good).  My school is already closed for tomorrow so no work for me.

My parents went to my brother's last night because there were road closures and they couldn't get home.  They lost power there around midnight.  They went home to find power lines across their driveway so they are staying at our beach house for a few days.  The only shower they have is outside or at my uncle's house next door and the cable is out there so I invited them to come here but they decided they are settled there.  I wouldn't be surprised if my dad comes here during the day tomorrow if my mom has to work.  My brother is staying at his girlfriend's mom's house tonight but may come to my house tomorrow (he said he won't be able to handle her younger sister for more than one night).

Hope everyone without power has somewhere warm to stay. 

• edited December 2011
    We are in Manchester and our power is back on! Woohoo! We had to stay at my sisters last night who lives in Portland and had power. However, when we got to our own home, she texted to say she had just lost hers. Looks like it's our turn for the sleep over, since we both have little one's in the house.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jdboden73jdboden73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most of Naugatuck has no power, but we are lucky to be in the small section that does. Anyone know how Branford fared? Getting married at Bill Miller's Castle on Saturday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I am in New Britain and thank God we have power! No cable so we are all a little bored. I was so happy to get to work to use the internet this morning. lol Cell phone is down too. My Mom in Hartford, FMIL in W. Hftd have no power. Neither do my aunts in Bristol so everyone crashed at my place last night. It was crowded but fun!

• edited December 2011
    We are okay down in Madison; however, we have no power (we are the small section of North Madison still without, lost it at about 3pm on Saturday, looks like a blown transformer at the intersection of our road and the main road through town - WTF?  We have survived worse storms than this before with power intact)...we are refugees with our dog at our friend's house in Chester (thankfully they bought a house this summer with a spare bedroom and now have a bed in it for us to stay in and they got their power back later Saturday night/Sunday morning so yay for a warm bed and good friends), but we are safe and sound, that's all that matters!

P.S. for the PP who inquired about Branford/Bill Millers, I drove through North Branford today near that area and all seemed fine (no lights out on route 80 by route 139), so hopefully that is a sign that you should be okay!
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    edited December 2011
    The shoreline didn't get hit as hard as the rest of the state.  When I was working on Saturday night, it was freezing rain (I left at 8:30ish).  Route 1, I-95, and rt. 9 up to exit 6ish were fine.  I just checked the outage status and Branford only has 107 (.66%) without power so you should be fine!
  • edited December 2011
    STILL No power in Plantsville (near Southington)!!!! FI went to work today and said they have power in downtown Hartford. I just arrived in New Haven and my school has full power as well. Praying that the power will come on!! If not we may have to stay in a hotel tonight!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bmetz34bmetz34 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No power still in waterbury.  I came to Panera to plug in for a bit... I'm getting a little nervous because according to CL&P spokespeople, they are still just assessing and haven't started repairing yet.  The trees down are 5x worse than Irene according to them, and it could be a week or more til all power is restored.  I don't mind the boredom so much, but the house temp is down to 53 degrees and dropping.  If it gets a lot lower I'll go get a dog friendly hotel room.  FI is out of town fore the next couple days so that sucks.  But at least we have hot water and I can use the gas stove. 
    8/12 March Siggy- reception venue!
  • eltar08eltar08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No power :(  Were out 8 days with irene, likely will be close to that this time around.  Absolutely ridiculous.  Won't even get an estimate for another couple days according to cl&p.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

We were very lucky not to lose power. Lost cable, but that's no big deal at all....my only concern is, where am I gonna get gas??? I hear it's craziness out there. Anyone know of a gas station that ISN'T sold out of gas? In the Southington, Cheshire, Waterbury area... I was going to try Waterbury Costco?

Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Amanda1443994Amanda1443994 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_storm-update-everyone-ok?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:b75eaae5-395a-4136-a598-1c6ef81700f3Post:dbc9bf11-5dbd-4fb8-a533-3599779b360e">Re: Storm Update - everyone ok?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were very lucky not to lose power. Lost cable, but that's no big deal at all....my only concern is, where am I gonna get gas??? I hear it's craziness out there. <strong>Anyone know of a gas station that ISN'T sold out of gas?</strong> In the Southington, Cheshire, Waterbury area... I was going to try Waterbury Costco?
    Posted by kfesta[/QUOTE]

The BJs gas station in Wallingford and Stop and Shop gas in Wallingford still have gas. I think the Shell station does too. I live in Wallingford and didn't lose power this time. However, I work in Harttord, and every co-worker of mine is without power.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • LandB2012LandB2012 member
    edited December 2011
    So glad to hear everyone is okay.  I'm actually at the town shelter (and had to check TK, lol).  No power since Saturday and the house is down to 45 degrees.  Ugh!  The still haven't plowed the road due to downed lines and fallen trees, but at least theres a place for emergency vehicles.  But as long as everyone is safe.

Halloween in our town is cancelled until next Saturday!   

Good luck everyone and Happy Halloween to anyone whose town is still celebrating, lol!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Southington, right off exit 4 on 691, across from Dunkin Donuts, has gas. Long line, but they have gas. FYI, they are only accepting cash.
  • Melissa603Melissa603 member
    edited December 2011
    Glad to hear all are ok! Doesn't sound like anyone got too much damage other than needing some lights back on?
  • herb0622herb0622 member
    edited December 2011
    We have power in Wallingford. Luckily we didn't lose it like we did with the hurricane!  It was so weird coming back to snow after being on our honeymoon for the past 8 days in 80 degree weather!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We lost power here in Manchester Saturday night, and they're still saying it could be 7 days or more. Neither me or my husband have gone to work yet this week, since our offices also are still without power. It's down to 52 in here. I really hope it comes back soon! Our kitties are cold!!
  • edited December 2011
    This storm sucks, our apple tree fell down in our backyard and there are branches everywhere, it's going to take weeks to clean it up.  We have no power (we are in Middletown) and our daughter is sick to top it all off.  I am hoping we get our power back soon though!  We just bought a generator and I've been coming to my Dad;s house during the day because he has power.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker kayleigh-3-1 Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_storm-update-everyone-ok?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:b75eaae5-395a-4136-a598-1c6ef81700f3Post:dbc9bf11-5dbd-4fb8-a533-3599779b360e">Re: Storm Update - everyone ok?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were very lucky not to lose power. Lost cable, but that's no big deal at all....my only concern is, where am I gonna get gas??? I hear it's craziness out there. Anyone know of a gas station that ISN'T sold out of gas? In the Southington, Cheshire, Waterbury area... I was going to try Waterbury Costco?
    Posted by kfesta[/QUOTE]

I'm in Southington and have been able to get gas everywhere...the "on the run" place across from DD at the meriden ave/meriden-waterbury tpke intersection had gas and not too long lines about 2 hours ago.  Also downtown southington near Deyarnowski school had 2 gas stations that were open, but with longer lines, on Sunday night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker kayleigh-3-1 Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in Meriden too, still with no power. I teach in MA and school is closed until Wednesday so far.. We're staying with my fiance's sister and her husband, but I have family all over the state and they're all without power. :( This is pretty insane.. It looks like a war zone in some areas.
    Visit The Knot! Visit Connecticut.Weddings.com Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    edited December 2011
    Ugh when I was hoping for a winter wonderland, I had no idea this storm would be so devastating!  We were good in Boston but I had to drive to Keene, NH yesterday and I couldn't believe how many trees were down along the way and how much snow they got up there! 

Good luck everyone!!
  • edited December 2011
     we got married Friday and it was beautiful. I feel so bad for the people who got married on saturday at the webb barn, they don't allow candles and their heat is electric! We live in simsbury and our town was demolished, but we escaped after the wedding to burlington, VT and there was NO SNOW! so be bought a generator and are now on the floor with a little heat at least ;)
  • edited December 2011

I lucked out and have power - our condo in South Windsor has underground power lines.  The main road we're off of is a complete mess, so I have NO idea how our sources weren't effected...  I'm thinknig of everyone!

• starlite7378starlite7378 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    in West Hartford and still no power since 7pm on Saturday :(   temperatures inside my apt are in the 30s during the day, and in the 20s at night.  :(:(  West Farms Mall has power, though, so... hehe it's been fun trying to kill time by being "forced" to hang out at the mall.

CL&P estimates that we'll have power by Sunday, but i'm not sure how much more of the cold i can take!!!  currently camping out at the mister's workplace to make use of their heat and light. 

for those w/o power, please educate yourselves and your loved ones about CARBON MONOXIDE poisoning!

stay safe & warm :)
  • jacki8788jacki8788 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Still no power at our house, but luckily my mom's place got their power back yesterday--and today the cable & internet are back, yay! SO glad to finally have a warm place to sleep, and be able to shower in the morning.

They're estimating the whole town will have power back by Sunday at midnight, too...I know there was a lot of damage, but really... idk, was it necessary for them to spend 3 days assessing damage, rather than just getting started? I know people are working hard...but going without power for over a week is ridiculous. You'd think there was some way they could have planned better, or at least managed the restoration efforts a little better... Glad everyone's OK though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • NickiveganNickivegan member
    edited December 2011
    We had power the whole time, but H and I live in downtown New Britain where everything is under ground. . I have been and will remain out of work all week. We have been hosting friends for food and warm place to sleep and charge electronics. I have noticed the gas station lines at least around here and westfarms mall, are more redeemable than they were a just 2 days ago. Glad everyone is ok! Continue to check on loved ones, we sure are.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards