Honeymoon Discussions

timeshare?

FI just called... his best friend just offered us his timeshare near disney for our honeymoon.  I have never stayed outside of the park and am worried it'll take away from the whole disney trip?  Do you think it'll be worth it to take it ... I'll have to rent a car and drive to disney each day....  not sure if we'll actually be saving money.  He's going to call his best friend when he gets home from work.

I'm also not sure how timeshares work.  I'm so niave when it comes to this! 

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: timeshare?

• We've stayed off property twice and it's fine. If you stay on International Drive, or close by it's not a big deal driving to the parks.   I personally liked it because we didn't have to eat there if we didn't want to and were able to save money that way.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_timeshare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:686d97c2-0eac-4ef3-b7b2-5cf204bb4f0fPost:8ba65954-fc22-4815-9127-c27551639258">Re: timeshare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We've stayed off property twice and it's fine. If you stay on International Drive, or close by it's not a big deal driving to the parks.   I personally liked it because we didn't have to eat there if we didn't want to and were able to save money that way.
    Posted by aimers1525[/QUOTE]

that's true too... I just was caught off guard by the offer.... it's super thoughtful!  And i'm sure it'll save us money:)  I'll find out more tonight I'm sure! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_timeshare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:686d97c2-0eac-4ef3-b7b2-5cf204bb4f0fPost:8ba65954-fc22-4815-9127-c27551639258">Re: timeshare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We've stayed off property twice and it's fine. If you stay on International Drive, or close by it's not a big deal driving to the parks.   I personally liked it because we didn't have to eat there if we didn't want to and were able to save money that way.
    Posted by aimers1525[/QUOTE]

Is there a fee to park if you stay off site?  I couldn't find any information online? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_timeshare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:686d97c2-0eac-4ef3-b7b2-5cf204bb4f0fPost:56f3fce3-dc28-4033-b345-9eb59639bad5">Re: timeshare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: timeshare? : Is there a fee to park if you stay off site?  I couldn't find any information online? 
    Posted by cornflwr33[/QUOTE]

scratch that.... $14/day found it finally
  • My family took trips to Disney all the time and we always stayed in timeshares. I've never actually stayed on Disney property, so I can't compare the experiences, but I never felt like I was missing anything. I actually enjoyed having our own kitchen so we didn't have to eat out every night - it's much easier to just go to the grocery store. 

I highly suggest, if you're using park hoppers, that you park the car at the place you want to END the day, then take the monorail / bus back to where you want to start the day. Bus / monorail around Disney properties is still free, so this makes it a lot easier to end your day and have your car waiting for you. 

You can, of course, still visit the hotel properties for dinner and relaxation in their lobbies if you like. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_timeshare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:686d97c2-0eac-4ef3-b7b2-5cf204bb4f0fPost:bad98d22-5150-4a6e-ac28-6b6ea1bcca47">Re: timeshare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My family took trips to Disney all the time and we always stayed in timeshares. I've never actually stayed on Disney property, so I can't compare the experiences, but I never felt like I was missing anything. I actually enjoyed having our own kitchen so we didn't have to eat out every night - it's much easier to just go to the grocery store.  I highly suggest, if you're using park hoppers, that you park the car at the place you want to END the day, then take the monorail / bus back to where you want to start the day. Bus / monorail around Disney properties is still free, so this makes it a lot easier to end your day and have your car waiting for you.  You can, of course, still visit the hotel properties for dinner and relaxation in their lobbies if you like. 
    Posted by MoonlightSilver[/QUOTE]

thanks so much!  that helped alot!  i didn't know they had kitchens lol 

btw i love your picture!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_timeshare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:686d97c2-0eac-4ef3-b7b2-5cf204bb4f0fPost:de9e18df-6cc0-4fa6-827a-f8a013c3e253">Re: timeshare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: timeshare? : thanks so much!  that helped alot!  i didn't know they had kitchens lol  btw i love your picture!
    Posted by cornflwr33[/QUOTE]
    Thanks!<div>
    </div><div>You should check the place you're going to- MOST have kitchens, but I'm not sure if they all do. </div>
  • cornflwr33cornflwr33 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_timeshare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:686d97c2-0eac-4ef3-b7b2-5cf204bb4f0fPost:f530cb44-db0f-4566-aa7c-d5abe8ea499e">Re: timeshare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: timeshare? : Thanks! You should check the place you're going to- MOST have kitchens, but I'm not sure if they all do. 
    Posted by MoonlightSilver[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Talked to him tonight and he said this one does:) 
  • perhaps the hotel has a shuttle to disney-some do.

• I always stayed in time shares never at Disney. So I can't compair but it was cheaper than staying on site. A lot also do shuttles. I would get the info. A lot are only miles from the parks. What a great gift.
    85image 71image 14image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards