Connecticut

The Barns charging extra for DJs??

Hey girls,

So I don't know if you're aware, but The Barns at Weslyean Hills is going to be charging couples an extra $500 unless you use Powerstation Events as your DJ for 2013.

Copied directly from the Facebook status of DJae Melee:
so at the Barns at Wesleyan Hills, in order for you to use a DJ for your wedding besides their partners, Powerstation Events, you must pay a $500 fee (FINE) in 2013. How many of you feel that picking your entertainment is your choice? Levying fines to couples because they'd rather use a different company will hurt small businesses. I'm actually questioning the legality, I feel bad for couples who have to add $500 to my affordable rates. It's BS.

I must say, I agree with him.  I think that's crazy, and if I were a Barns bride, I'd be really, really unhappy about that.

Re: The Barns charging extra for DJs??

• I just saw that too- I hope it's not true! If it is, I'm relieved that we are booked for this year- I would be really angry if it were next year!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Christine9866Christine9866 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I am a 2013 barns bride,  and a Djae Melee bride. I also saw this post and e-mailed Jae right away. We signed our contract with the barns back in December, and they had no such policy. The only thing they said was that if we choose a dj that is not on their list we would need a letter showing that they are insured and will stay with in the sounds limits. Since FI and I signed before this policy went into place I do not think this applies to us. I do also agree with him, and feel bad. Not only does this hurt dj's not on the preferred list, but  I feel couples should be able to choose their vendors for one of the most important days without being "penalized" for not sticking to the list.
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think this will be a deal breaker for a lot of couples.  It's a shame too, because The Barns is a really interesting venue and FI and I almost booked it.
  • I would love to hear what the Barns themselves say if any of you ladies end up contacting them. What sort of explanation could they have for this? It's not a very good idea. 
  • That is unfortunate. I know the Barns has like a built in DJ thing so that when your DJ comes, all he has to do is plug in like the music - I'm explaining this really poorly - because many DJ's don't know how to regulate the sound in the Barns. I'm pretty sure that Powerstation is the one who installed that. I can see them giving that as a reason. I would have been very upset if they charged me $500. We had one of our very close family friend's nephew DJ my wedding and he charged us $500 so if we had to pay on top of that I would have been upset!
  • Christine9866Christine9866 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Dj Maelee also mentioned on FB not being able to use his own sound system at the barns due to the new system they have. I know on one of the recent e-mails I received from the barns  they were teling everyone about the new sound system. I did not know that all DJs had to use it. Im sure it will be fine, it just sounds like they are making it very difficult for outside djs to come in. I may email them to make sure this new policy does not apply to FI and I.
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If you already signed a contract, regardless of when the wedding is, they can't add this on later.  So if you've already signed for 2013 or 2014, you shouldn't have to worry about it - they might try to push it on you, but let them know that they did not stipulate that in the contract and thus it is not enforceable.  Otherwise, yeah, they can do that for future contracts, unfortunately.

Anniversary

• That is crazy! I used DJae Melee at the Barns back in October.  I guess you can kind of compare to venues you charge you an extra fee if you do not use one of their preferred catering vendors.  But only having one choice of company and being charged a fine otherwise is a bit ridiculous. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards