Connecticut
Options

Pond House Cafe

I was thinking of having my wedding/reception there, but I'd like some info before I dip into that swimming pool. Has anyone had any chance to go there and experience them first hand?

Re: Pond House Cafe

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have never been to a wedding there but a couple people I know have and they really liked it. I did speak with the coordinator there and she was very nice and helpful. I can say first hand it is gorgeous with Elizabeth park rose gardens surrounding it. Good luck!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't eaten there, but we did look at that venue. The room is very cute, and I loved the tall glass windows overlooking the pond. The room seemed a decent size for like 125 guests or under or so. I didn't like that they did not serve alcohol and if you brought in a bartender they could only serve wine and beer. Also, the bathrooms weren't very nice...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked at this place for my wedding as well. I too had trouble with the alcohol thing. They had a lot of strange rules. For example, if you did serve alcohol for more than like 3 hrs or after a certain time you had to hire security. Elizabeth Park is public so you can't have a private ceremony. You also aren't allowed to set up chairs or have any decorations in the park. I couldn't abide by all the rules so I looked elsewhere. I LOVED the room though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They just got their liquor license though, so that's pretty key. They still opt for alcohol and stuff to be brought in if you want. As for the park and stuff, wow nice, but ew no chairs? I wanted my wedding in a church anyway, so maybe I can look around Hartford or New Haven for a church. I just wanted to think about prices is all. Buffet style is a must, cannot go for one option dinner, and I think his family would like that option. It was a thought, and the room decorations were TO DIE FOR. Browsing the pictures and things like that made me cry, but I still envision a big castle where my big poofy dress and handsome husband dance until the night ends and his family is drunk off their asses.
  • Options
    jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When FI and I were considering a wedding in CT, we looked at and really liked the Pond House Cafe.

We knew that we had to hire our own bartending service and etc. We also LOVED that Elizabeth Park was SO close. FI and I went to an Open House (dunno what it's properly called....) last June-ish and didn't really like the food. /o: Maybe we're too picky? Anyway, that was the dealbreaker. I think Lisa was the coordinator we spoke with. She was really helpful and answered all of our questions without making us feel dumb.

GL!
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • Options
    jmestylejmestyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my shower there next Sunday so I will let you know!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awesome! I'm looking forward to some more information :D
  • Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i just went to a banquet at the pond house a few weeks ago.  personally, i love it there.  the views are gorgeous, the service is always good, and i love the food.  last i heard they used the Two Pour Guys to bartend, and they're supposed to be some of the best in the state, although i don't know if that's changed.  (the security thing is probably a west hartford town ordinance, NOT a pond house thing.)

i have to say though, doing a ceremony in elizabeth park is not something i'd go for.  they are TOTALLY public.  DH and I were walking through the park last spring and saw a ceremony going on.  while we were quiet and respectful and basically just quickly walked past and left everyone alone, i can't tell you how many children were screaming, people were driving past with their dumb music blaring, dogs barking, etc etc etc.  there's just too much of a possibility to ruin it IMHO....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really wanted the cafe for our reception, but for a night wedding (we're getting married in a church) and the reception couldn't start earlier than 6, and had to be OUT by 1130, since there can't be music after that point (the whole public park thing). Since they got their liquor license, the price per plate is approx. $100 which was out of our price range. I will say, we had a corp. function there, and the food was A-MAZING!

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wanted to go for the Buffet style instead of regular plates, more bang for my buck I guess. Thanks for the info though! I'll stick with a church.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards