Connecticut
Options

Question about your e ring from my misfortune

As many of you may know, this past weekend I lost my e ring. I'm completely devastated, but luckily it's fully insured. The quick back story is that I know I had it at my parents house Friday afternoon. My brother and his girlfriend were visiting from Virginia, and we've all been waiting for him to propose, so for some reason, I was just super aware of my ring then.

After the dissappointing Red Sox opener I went straight home, sat on the couch with FI and vegged out for a while, then went to bed. Normally I take my ring off at night, but I can't recall if I did or not. Saturday morning I got up and it was gone.

The basic facts are that it was sized tight enough that it couldn't accidentally fall off. I do not remember taking it off at all. I have searched my house, my car, my driveway, and my parents house. No one was in the house to steal it. My 2 theories are either the cat ate it, or I sleep walked (which I've done before but not in a very long time) and did something to it.

Anyways, while I wait to hear back from the insurance rep from my bank it got me thinking about what I could do differently. Normally, I take it off when I sleep, shower, handle raw meat, or use anything that can get gunned up in there (like lotion, etc).

Im wondering if you ladies ever take yours off, and what do you with it when you do?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Question about your e ring from my misfortune

• Options
    Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry it's lost!!!! I hope you find it!!!
    Pretty much exactly like you, I take mine off before I go to bed and then put it on in the morning after my shower. I take it off if I'm using body lotion and cooking some things.  I usually always have the ring box handy and will put it there every night.  My cat LOVES jewelry :)
  • Options
    Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    edited December 2011
    I don't take mine off at all unless it's bothering me because I'm paranoid.  My mom used to take her wedding and engagement ring off to shower and stuff, but about 15 years ago, the one day my mom forgot to put it on our house was robbed and it was stolen.  She still hasn't replaced them, but she wears her mother's wedding ring.  I may change my mind when I start bartending in the summer (I lost another ring because it fell off and I didn't realize it til later, I thought it felt funny but figured it never falls off and didn't think twice).  But again, I'm paranoid that if I take it off I will misplace it.

Good luck finding yours!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i never take it off, unless im cleaning my ring
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I take mine off and put them in a trinket box.  It's a very heavy, pretty enameled box that one of my BMs gave me at my bridal shower.  It's honestly one of the best gifts that I received! The box is heavy enough that my cat can't push it around or get to the ring.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I only take mine off if I am touching raw meat or cleaning it. I take my ering off to shower, but not my wedding band.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    TTC February 2013
    Melissa's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've only taken mine off for cleaning and watersports
    05/01/09*MJP*10/10/10*I love you more everyday...9/15/12 image Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I only take mine off when I shower, get my nails done or cooking/baking and my hands are in things. I use my ring box--it is the safest place and I always keep it in the same spot so it helps with remembering where I put it!

I so hope you find it!!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear about your ring. I can totally relate, I lost mine a month before the wedding and it wasn't insured. I used to just put it on my night stand but that one night when I got out of the shower it was gone. I think one of my cats picked it up in his mouth and dropped it down the bathtub drain since I saw both of them fighting in there before DH got in the shower after me. We had a plumber come in and look at the pipes but it was long gone since my ring was so small (size 3.5). I take mine off as soon as I got home since my new e-ring and two bands are too bulky to wear doing housework so I keep my rings either in a jewelry box or the monogram ring holder my cousin got me. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about your e-ring!  I would be devastated too :(  I hope you find it, but glad to hear it's insured!

Before this Christmas, I used to take it off just for showering, and when I did that I would put it on the counter/sink.

Luckily, FI was thoughtful to get me a crystal ring holder from Waterford Crystal for Christmas this year, so that is where it goes now when I take it off to shower.  It's on a shelf in the bathroom that is higher than hand/elbow height so I won't accidentally bump into it or knock it over/lose the ring when it's on it.
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    LaurenDarlingLaurenDarling member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_question-e-ring-misfortune?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:e24ac800-29d1-4270-a752-117f84a7c2ebPost:fb446363-ba00-4618-aa5d-44ca4a0b4e4c">Re: Question about your e ring from my misfortune</a>:
    [QUOTE]i never take it off, unless im cleaning my ring
    Posted by mck776[/QUOTE]

<div>Me too! Never take it off!</div>
  • Options
    EStar73EStar73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's either on my finger, in my ring box or in my wallet (which has a zipper on it.) I take it off to sleep, shower, cook, do dishes, clean and anything else dirty or where it could get lost or damaged, like skiing, but I always put it in the same two places when it is off so I know exaclty where it is. I'm actually really looking forward to my wedding band because there are a lot of things I don't like wearing my diamond for but my wedding ring is a simple band exactly so I can do everything with it on.
  • Options
    wrdgirlwrdgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard this somewhere and I think it might be useful for you.  Get those ring holder things, you know those that look like a stick with a base in the bottom anad put them in places around the house you know where you will remove your ring so each time you take it off it is where you will put it.  If you need to travel, bring one of those with you and put that where you know you will always go back to.

I have one in my bathroom and because of work I've had it off for a few weeks now and it's always there when I need it.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    estegemanestegeman member
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked your bed?  It could have gotten lost in the sheets...
    Photobucket
  • Options
    2bpescadita2bpescadita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear about your ring! I would be a royal mess if I lost it.
    I never take mine off unless I'm cleaning it. I hope you find it or your insurance covers it.
  • Options
    cdbishopcdbishop member
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry to hear about your ring.  We kept saying we needed to insure mine (for the past 6 months) and I just did this week.  I take mine off when I shower, put lotion on, cook, or clean. Most of the time I put it on my dresser next to my jewelry box, but I don't have any animals to worry about eating it. 

Hope the insurance will cover all of it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is terrifying- I hope you find it. I've done that a few times- I hardly take mine off anymore, and when I do realize it's off my finger, I freak out momentarily until I remember why I took it off.

I take mine off if I'm cooking with meats / baking, showering, or putting lotion on my hands. That's about it. I used to take it off when I washed my hands and went to bed- but I just found for myself it's unnecessary anymore to do that. I love having it on!

I will say- my cat does try to bite it sometimes if I'm holding him, which I always thought was weird. I'd imagine it'd be pretty hard to get down though if he actually ate it- but I'm sure it's possible. I think it'd be more probable that if my cat got a hold of it- it would be somewhere in the corners of the floor or under the couch since he loves to play.

Good luck- I really hope you find it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear that!  I actually never take mine off unless I'm putting lotion on, and I lay it on the dresser right in front of me and put it back on immediately.
    imageMoo Moo Kitten is resting... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear about your ring! I take mine off when I shower, put lotion on and lift weights at the gym.  I just recently got engaged so I've been trying to figure out what to do with my ring when I go from work right to the gym.  I don't feel comfortable leaving it in a locker (people have been known to break the locks) but I've already scratched it from lifting.  I'm paranoid I'm going to lose it if I take it off but I don't want to ruin it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_question-e-ring-misfortune?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:e24ac800-29d1-4270-a752-117f84a7c2ebPost:0802496e-51ad-42d7-ad96-b44810425a0e">Re: Question about your e ring from my misfortune</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry to hear about your ring! I take mine off when I shower, put lotion on and lift weights at the gym.  I just recently got engaged so I've been trying to figure out what to do with my ring when I go from work right to the gym.  I don't feel comfortable leaving it in a locker (people have been known to break the locks) but I've already scratched it from lifting.  I'm paranoid I'm going to lose it if I take it off but I don't want to ruin it.
    Posted by LoriG41[/QUOTE]

I have this same problem- only I just dont like how it feels when I lift weights with my ring on. I usually have a necklace on so I put the rings on the necklace. Not sure if that's a fix for you, but at least I know I still have them on me at the gym. No way would I leave it in the locker!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The necklace is a great idea...I'm going to try that.  Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards