Connecticut
Options

Hotel blocking question

Out of the 140 guests 6 our coming in from out of state. 4 from Arkansas and the are staying with my mom and then my 2 aunts from CO and IL are coming but I'm sure they've already made arrangements. So question is should I still set up a hotel block? FIs family is all from Berlin /Rocky Hill area my family is all Ledyard/ Stonington. So just not sure if I should bother because I didn't add it to my invitations. TIA
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Hotel blocking question

• Options
    Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How far away is your reception from people's CT locations?

Our reception is about 40-45 minutes away and I think my parents might stay over after the wedding. At the same time, i know there's a bunch of people who won't (from my side, at least).
    Is there a hotel close to the reception where people might be tempted to crash? Are you thinking about doing a brunch the next day where people might be more likely to sleep over?
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Maybe for convience purposes.

How far in advance should you book hotel blocks??
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    there are tons of hotels within a 1-2 miles and my great uncle is a night manager at one of them so i feel just to be safe and get a hotel clock there because the FIs family has to travel about an hour and the wedding does end at 11 ( if the stay that long) so I'm thinking I should and maybe type on some paper and slip in in the envelopes for the hotel.
  • Options
    megbrooks2011megbrooks2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_hotel-blocking-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:f0c3a82b-5f9c-407f-99c3-0b64e201b07dPost:6fb78806-0068-4359-b99a-3daf0d112515">Re: Hotel blocking question</a>:
    [QUOTE]How far in advance should you book hotel blocks??
    Posted by kls114[/QUOTE]

I think it depends.  I blocked rooms over a year in advance, but that's because it's a smaller hotel/inn and I have alot of out of town guests.  We are only blocking at one place, but giving guests cheaper options in the area.  We're also letting our guests know the shuttle will only pick up and drop off where we have the room blocks.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

If your uncle can hook you up, great.  Keep in mind that some hotels have a minimum number of rooms that you'll need to block in order to get the group rate.  Some will still honor the special rate even if you don't book up to the minimum and some actually make you put down a deposit for the blocked rooms.  Every hotel is different.  Since your uncle has a connection with the hotel though, my guess is that you should be able to make it happen.

I personally think that it doesn't hurt to have a room block.  In my case, DH and I stayed in a suite at the hotel where we had the block, and I stayed there the night before.  It was great for everyone getting ready.  I also had a ton of out of town people, so it was nice to be in the same place as them.  I had more time to spend with them that way.   That doesn't seem to apply for you, but it was a big deal for us.  DH's parents live less than 10 minutes away from the hotel, but they opted to stay there to be near everyone.  It became a gathering point.  It was really nice.

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would - just to be safe - esp. if you are having an open bar. We are, and did. It didn't cost us anything to do so, and, we are not charged if we don't book up a certain number of rooms - We just don't get a free room (for ourselves).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_hotel-blocking-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:f0c3a82b-5f9c-407f-99c3-0b64e201b07dPost:4ad5a5ac-2228-4490-a387-6ad6ba905169">Re: Hotel blocking question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would - just to be safe - esp. if you are having an open bar. We are, and did. It didn't cost us anything to do so, and, we are not charged if we don't book up a certain number of rooms - We just don't get a free room (for ourselves).
    Posted by crushme8602[/QUOTE]
    Ours was the same way... luckily we booked enough rooms so we got a discount on our suite.  Nice added bonus.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i agree .. if you are having open bar I would definitely have arrangements at a nearby hotel. My FI and I are getting married in New Haven (June 2011) and we already blocked off 50 rooms for guests at a nearby hotel. Our room is free and we are staying there for 2 nights. Half of our guests are from MA, NY, and AZ so we definitely feel the need to accomodate guests. We got an awesome rate for them as well , since we blocked off so many rooms.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Vikki2payVikki2pay member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It can't hurt to block the rooms, check with a couple of hotels in the area to see if you can block rooms without a minimum, and maybe if you meet the minimum they will give a discount, at least this way you have an option for your guests.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I booked my room block 8 months in advance. It's always good to book a block of rooms just in case your local guests prefer to not have to drive home right after the reception. Keep in mind that for most hotels they only hold your room block and special rate up to one month before the check in date.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_hotel-blocking-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:f0c3a82b-5f9c-407f-99c3-0b64e201b07dPost:bb40157e-c3a4-4486-9d3a-b9cc5b1ec175">Re: Hotel blocking question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Keep in mind that for most hotels they only hold your room block and special rate up to one month before the check in date.
    Posted by christikao[/QUOTE]

Good to know! I have my mom calling my uncle today about rates and rules and whatnot. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_hotel-blocking-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:f0c3a82b-5f9c-407f-99c3-0b64e201b07dPost:6a3e0786-24b6-4755-b3a6-bdd4e15fe1f4">Re: Hotel blocking question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hotel blocking question : Good to know! I have my mom calling my uncle today about rates and rules and whatnot. Thanks!
    Posted by sloanacz[/QUOTE]

Ya, ours the drop the discounted rate, and releases the rooms for open sale a month beforehand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards