July 2012 Weddings
Options

would it be tacky if....

I used clear labels to address my wedding invites with?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: would it be tacky if....

• Options
    According to official etiquette yes. But in real life I doubt anyone will care. Or even notice. I know I wouldn't.

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't notice. I mean we all know where the envelope is going to go right after being opened. In the trash.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My friend did this for her March 10th wedding.  She spelled my name wrong (which I ALWAYS hate but am used to - well, I guess spelling isn't what was wrong, she didn't put a space in between my name or capitalize the second part of my name), and that offended me a lot more than the clear label did, haha. Is it technically what you are supposed to do? no. Will anyone actually be offended? I doubt it.

FYI, we have started looking into calligraphers, and it is a LOT more affordable than I had originally imagined! I have found as cheap as 50cents/outer envelope addressing only, 75cents/outer envelope and inner envelope addressing.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I just need the outer envelope address, everything else the company who printed my invites already printed the response cards and the return address on all the envelops. I guess I could look into a calligrapher, I just don't want it to be super expensive.

Thanks for the advice all!
  • Options
    I'm using white labels (GASP! ETIQUETTE!) because I found the clear labels stood out a lot more than the plain white ones (when using white envelopes). 

I wasted so many envelopes trying to get my printer to print directly onto them without the printer eating them, so I'm saving myself the trouble (and $$) and doing labels.  Our families won't even notice so I'm not worried about it.... plus they came out really nice, surprisingly.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I don't think it's a big deal. I didn't even know it wasn't proper etiquette til coming on here. If you wedding is super formal/black tie, I would maybe go the proper etiquette route, but otherwise I think you're fine to use the labels.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    my mom actually suggested the labels. I just didn't know if it would look tacky or not. I think the labels would be easier and super convenient. I guess I would just have to test it out with clear and white (thanks k8888 for mentioning white) :) 

My wedding is at a Country Club, If super formal means black tie kind of thing, then my wedding is not super formal by all means but a shirt and tie yes.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_would-it-be-tacky-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:ce66c317-2444-4c36-96b6-030d96ba9cb8Post:5c90a4b7-ddf0-4ff9-aab2-24c34f962e8d">Re: would it be tacky if....</a>:
    [QUOTE]According to official etiquette yes. But in real life I doubt anyone will care. Or even notice. I know I wouldn't.
    Posted by dramaqueen91087[/QUOTE]

This! Ppl will rip it open and throw it in the trash before they think about the label! The invitation matters a lot more, IMO, as they'll prolly hang onto that until the event.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, exactly what dramaqueen said. :)

That being said, now that I know it's a faux pas, I actually DO notice when people use labels. But it's really, totally, not a big deal.

Butterfly - which calligrapher have you found?!?!?!!!!! That is a FANTASTIC price! I was going to write them out myself!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have been messaging with about three different calligraphers on Etsy.

The one that is 50 cents an envelope does decent work, but it doesn't look quite as formal as some of the otehrs.

The one that I like the best and does a slightly more formal script has offered to do all my envelopes for a flat fee of $160 (she has been featured on Etsy and seems like a total sweetheart). I am kind of nervous about the process of mailing envelopes back and forth with them but to me (and definitely to my fiance - he is SO THRILLED about us not having to address envelopes ourselves) it is worth the price to not have to sit and address envelopes.....

but I totally agree with bridetobe - I never before would have noticed if someone used labels, but now I do notice. I am also an OCD, detail oriented, obsessive bride at this point - and I would guess that hardly any of your guests are like me, haha.
  • Options
    Butterfly, can you PM me her info? I promise not to throw off your production schedule :) With work as it is right now, I just don't see myself having the time to do this anymore.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hahahaha! We don't even have our invites back from our designer yet...so there is no schedule!! and she promises a 2 week turnaround time so I am not worried :) I will send you her info asap! I can also send a few of the others that I found....

ACTUALLY the one I have been messaging with is based out of NY! So it might be even more convenient for you....
  • Options

I'm using clear labels with the Caligraphy font. As long as you change the font to look pretty I think you are fine.

I hand wrote the save the dates and I'll hand write the thank you notes.

Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Options
    I used clear labels for my STDs and they came out great.  I am thinking I will use them for my invites too.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I wouldn't care, and the only reason I would notice is b/c this site told me I was supposed to.. lol

I printed right on my envelope. But you could probably do the caligraphy yourself. I do know how, just don't have time, but I taught myself to do it with a little kit from hobby lobby. Just a thought
  • Options
    Would I notice? Yes. Would I care? No. I think there's a difference between noticing the small things and actually caring about them. A detailed person like myself will see that there is a label on the envelope. But that doesn't automatically mean they have any opinions whatoever on the matter. Go for it or look into more calligraphers in your area. Either will be fine :
  • Options
    Thanks Everyone for the advice! :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_would-it-be-tacky-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:ce66c317-2444-4c36-96b6-030d96ba9cb8Post:f9787c7e-1edb-4952-8729-5e7c0062aea5">Re: would it be tacky if....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's a big deal. I didn't even know it wasn't proper etiquette til coming on here. If you wedding is super formal/black tie, I would maybe go the proper etiquette route, but otherwise I think you're fine to use the labels.
    Posted by Rebis58[/QUOTE]

Uhm...I didn't know it wasn't proper etiquette until right this second - and who gives an eff?

We're using labels.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_would-it-be-tacky-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:ce66c317-2444-4c36-96b6-030d96ba9cb8Post:0d1253d1-16b5-474e-a4bf-049d99dbd923">Re: would it be tacky if....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: would it be tacky if.... : Uhm...I didn't know it wasn't proper etiquette until right this second - and who gives an eff? We're using labels.
    Posted by BrightFirefly[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha! Tell me about it! I've learned about all sorts of weird pointless rules since discovering TK boards
  • Options

We're using labels too, it's just less stressful. 

One of the weddings I went to last year used the clear labels and they looked fine.  Like PPs said, I noticed the label, but didn't care.  Her wedding was moderately formal. For me though, it's just about balancing real life vs. wedding planning- Why waste time researching another vendor and spending the time meeting with them and messaging back and forth? I'll spend ridiculou amounts of time on things I think matter, but for me, perfectly addressing the invitations doesn't.

Follow me on pinterest (I do not know how to make that nice red button thing): http://pinterest.com/lizporter17/ Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards