Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon Registries

My fiance and I would like to do a honeymoon registry. I have looked around on the internet, but am still not sure which registry site is easiest for guests to give and for us to use when we are ready? Any advice?

Thanks!

Re: Honeymoon Registries

• MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Asking for cash gifts, even when the request is disguised as a HM registry, is very inappropriate.  People already know cash is a great gift and will give it if they want. A lot of HM registries are also deceitful to your guests because guests think they are buying you an actual gift (romantic dinner, spa, etc) but  you are getting a check from the HM registry, minus any fees they charge.

So the easiest thing for your guests is for you to do a small registry for people who want to give physical gifts and others will get the hint that you would prefer cash gifts. Guest will write a check or put cash in a card.  Easy, Easy!

If someone asks you directly what you need, say you are registered at store x but saving for a honeymoon. 

BTW, this question gets asked a lot on here and the "registering & gifts" board. So you may want to scroll to page 2 of this board for similar post and scroll the r&g board. 

• I think that most of the people that have done honeymoon registries reccommend Honey Fund because they do not charge anything unless your guests go through Paypal or use a credit card.

However I am warning you that Honeymoon registries are not well received on this board. But I do think it is important to know the reason that people on the board do not like honeymoon registries though so you can take those into consideration.

A lot of websites for honeymoon registries charge both the guest and the couple an additional fee on top of it. It could be anywhere from 3% to 6% per gift. Sometimes those fees are even charged to the guest and the couple. So instead of getting your $100 gift, you are getting only about 88% of it. Not all websites use this service though and many travel agent sites or other sites do not charge fee's at all. You should do research and find out what would be best for you and your guest.

The other thing is if the registry will be handing you cash for your 'registry' make sure that you use the cash for the items that you registered for. Do not take the cash and use it on a sky diving if you registered for a couples massage. It is important to keep your integrity and use the money for the item the guest wanted to buy you. I always like the idea of taking a picture of the item in question and send that with the thank you card so they can see that you enjoyed their 'gift'.

The Knot community have issues with honeymoon registries a lot of the time because a bride and groom expect the guests to pay for the entire honeymoon. They do not like that brides will come on here and say things like "I am soooo broke, I don't have the money for a honeymoon so I want my guests to pay for it". You should plan the wedding/honeymoon you can afford and not depend on others to pay for anything unless cash is in hand when planning. People who register for hotel rooms and airplane tickets do not get the point. The honeymoon registry is the same as a traditional registry. You are supposed to use it for upgrades or items you wouldn't normally have money to buy. So if you are going somewhere nice and maybe you wouldn't be able to afford a nice couples massage on the beach or an excursion to go swimming with dolphins.

Also, when people mention having a tiny registry and just expecting people to give cash, I think that is depending on your family and friends. I know a ton of people who would not dare give cash or gift cards for a gift. My family from Minnesota is notorious for this. My sister had a really small registry at Target and ended up getting the most random stuff instead of cash. So don't assume that people will just know to give cash.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards