Honeymoon Discussions

African Safari?????

My folks say as a wedding present they will buy us an african safari. Super excited, its on our bucket list. Has anyone been before, we've seen packages that include flights from ny and several different safari parks. Anyone been, which parks to recommend or hotels to stay at, what part of Africa. Any suggestions, thanks

Re: African Safari?????

• Do you have a country in mind that you would like to visit?

Like PP said, Africa is a vast continent with a lot to see and so many different cultures.  I was in South Africa in 07 and had the time of my life.

Can you provide more details about what you and your FI are interested in doing on your honeymoon? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • no high end here but don't want to slum it either. every site i've seen says masai mara park  in kenya is one of the best to see. were budgeting about 3k each. would love to see victoria falls in zimbabwe. would prefer a tour just based on safety
  • Quite honestly, I don't know if you can do Kenya on $6k total.  Airfare alone will eat up almost all of that budget.  Africa's not cheap.  South Africa is the cheapest, followed by Kenya, then Tanzania and then Botswana.  IMO, if you want to stay under $6k, you'll have to do South Africa and/or travel in the off season.

My H and I just went to Tanzania and Victoria Falls last year, mid-end lodges and spent nearly $25k.  On top of that, we had to pay $950 for vaccinations to travel (insurance will not cover these), $100 per person for a Tanzanian visa, $45 per person for a Zimbabwe visa and another $50 each for malaria medication.  I say this just so you realize that there will be other costs on top of the trip cost.  I didn't realize ahead of time just how much extra money we would have to shell out for all of these things.  If you stay in SA, you don't have to pay for a visa, nor the vaccinations, and I'm not 100% sure but don't think you'll need the anti malarials there either.

What month are you thinking of going?  That will make a big difference on the cost.  Anywhere in the months April-October will be a lot more expensive as they are the drier months in Africa, and the time when wildlife spotting is better.

I second PP's suggestion of the Fodor's safari guide.  Read that and find out where you think you might want to go.  Then contact one of the tour operators to get quotes for trips.  They will be able to help you find something that will fit your budget.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_african-safari?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:898f2a57-b690-41fa-9640-d2158885f94ePost:eb5c8bea-ed19-4952-a842-291fdda80614">Re: African Safari?????</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.travelzoo.com/ArchivedDealR.aspx?id=1172823&source=">http://www.travelzoo.com/ArchivedDealR.aspx?id=1172823&source=</a> see deals like this alot
    Posted by katslack[/QUOTE]

Yes, but look at the departure dates on this deal.  You will see these deals in the low travel season, but not so much in the high travel season.

This also doesn't include vaccinations (at least yellow fever, probably typhoid and some others), anti-malarials, or visas.  Also, meals typically do not include drinks.  You pay for all drinks, even water in most places.  We paid up to $6 each for waters or sodas in some places.

You will also have to pay for flights to NY or DC to fly out to Africa.

I would start, like a PP and I recommended, with the Fodor's book and then contact a tour operator.  They will be able to help you find something within your budget.  But be aware that based on the time you travel, SA may be your best/only bet for staying within your budget.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • I second Sunshine.  Africa isn't cheap.  In South Africa alone prices have soared since the FIFA World Cup was there.  It would be tough to do any country in Africa on 6K, even if you "backpack" (a.k.a stay in hostels and live on cheap sandwichs, which doesn't sound very romantic).

The "off season" in some countries (like South Africa) isn't too bad but since you want to safari you risk not seeing as much flora and fauna and in some countries "off season" means "wet season" and many roads are rendered impassible. I'd consider talking to a travel agent or picking up a copy of Lonely Planet's Africa guidebook.  It has a chapter on each country and is geared towards travellers on modest budgets.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are planning a South African trip and will be leaving in a couple months. Have you looked into packages from Lion World Tours or South African Airways vacations? I contacted them and they have some pretty good packages, but we ended up booking everything ourselves since we have miles for hotels & airlines.

We will be going to Cape Town, Winelands, and a Safari in the Eastern Cape. Hotels in Cape Town and Winelands are quite affordable, you can probably find a nice one for $150-$200/night. However, the Safari lodging is very expensive, around $500+ per person per night. There are options though if you stay at a regular lodging outside of the private camps for a lot less and then you can visit the parks for a day trip. It will feel less like a true African safari, but can save you some money.
  • Katslack, congratulations on your wedding! Africa is by far one of the most sensational and exotic places to visit on a honeymoon. As the owner of an African safari consulting company, I've seen dozens upon dozens of newly weds travel to Africa to begin their life together with adventure.

As for where to visit on your honeymoon safari, I suggest visiting our blog, Live the Magic of Africa <INSERT LINK>, where you'll find everything from accommodation spotlights, tips on planning a safari, hottest parks and reserves, and even animal spotlights. And of course, feel free to shoot us an email with any specific questions you might have at [email protected]. We hope you have a truly fabulous wedding and a gorgeous honeymoon!

Sandy Salle (www.hillsofafrica.com)
  • sorry...here's the link to Live the Magic of Africa...http://www.livethemagicofafrica.com ...we LOVE working wiht honeymooners...give us a look!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards