Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Good Island/Resort for non-smokers?

Smoking really bothers my fiance so we are trying to find an island and/or resort with a pretty strict smoking policy. Any suggestions? Those non-smokers who have been to Sandals, were you bothered by much smoking?
Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Re: Good Island/Resort for non-smokers?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_good-islandresort-for-non-smokers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:8ff8763e-107c-4bfe-bef8-285ba7f92eacPost:e05485c1-5c6d-4205-aed0-9daa234896af">Good Island/Resort for non-smokers?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Smoking really bothers my fiance so we are trying to find an island and/or resort with a pretty strict smoking policy. Any suggestions? Those non-smokers who have been to Sandals, were you bothered by much smoking?
    Posted by marston258[/QUOTE]

I suggest looking into Westin hotels/resorts.  They are completely non-smoking.  Stay away from European hotel chains such as Riu Palace (it's a Spanish chain).  We went into the one in Aruba and the smoke smell even in the lobby is overwhelming and sickening.
  • Options
    Honestly with the 3AI's I've been to I think the only smoking I saw was in Mexico.  The other two were Sandals resorts in Jamaica and the Bahamas.  
  • Options
    I went to Couples Tower Isle in Jamaica for my HM last month.  I don't know if they have a strict no-smoking policy per se, however, I did not notice the smell of smoke or a lot of people smoking.  If anyone did smoke, I did not notice and it didn't bother me.  Both FI and I are non-smokers and cannot stand when places smell smoky.  CTI didn't smell like that.

With that said, FI and I did smoke a cigar on the beach (that's the only time we will smoke and it's not a lot...maybe once a year if that) and there wasn't an issue - so I don't think there was any real rule for no smoking.  I just think the hotel has a lot of open-air areas so maybe the smoke smell doesn't get trapped in or something.  Hope that helps!   
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • Options
    If it's in your budget, I'd recommend Hawaii.  H and I went there for our honeymoon, and it was absolutely gorgeous, with your standard American approach the the whole "no-smoking" situation.  Our resort (The Fairmont Orchid, on the Big Island) was non-smoking except for one small outdoor section, and the other guests adhered to the policy without a problem.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    I would suggest staying out of Europe or areas known to have lots of European tourists.
  • Options
    I just got back from Sandals in St. Lucia and can say the inside is strictly non-smoking. We never smelled smoke inside anywhere. We did have to deal with them at the beach and pool, but we usually just moved to a different place if they were right next to us. All of the rooms are non-smoking, too, I think.
    imageNovember Board Siggy - The Venue!
    Photobucket
    The Great Hall at Sunriver Resort, Sunriver, Oregon
    243 Invited image
    172 Can't wait image
    71 Are missing out image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think this all depends on where you want go and the local smoking laws. The resort itself must adhere to the laws someone commented in RIUs and how bad they were but I just got back from the RIU Palace in Costa Rica and it was totally fine. designated smoking areas-no indoor smoking or enclosed space etc. I suggest if it is a big deal for you and FI spend some extra time looking into local legislation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards