Nebraska
Options

Omaha Honeymoon?

Hey Omaha peeps,

My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon and are considering Omaha. Are there any local hotels, attractions you all think are worth seeing in Omaha? We have a budget of $800 and may be going over the 4th of July. Where are the best fireworks? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

P.S. We're not sports fans, but we like museums, music, good food, and adventure.
PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Omaha Honeymoon?

• Options
    kkristlkkristl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You definitely should check out the Henry Doorly Zoo -- it's one of the top zoos in the country! And over 4th of July they used to do a huge fireworks show at Rosenblatt Stadium (right next to the zoo) -- with Rosenblatt closing, though, I'm not sure how that will affect the fireworks display -- I'm sure someone will have a good show for you!  And Joslyn Art Museum generally has quite a variety of shows come through, that would be worth checking out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For museums, definitely the Joslyn or the Western Heritage.  They have some great exhibits that come through.  If you stay in the Old Market you'll be surrounded by excellent bars and restaurants so that won't be an issue.  For live music check out The Slowdown.

Also, I recommend checking out the Go page of The World Herald (www.omaha.com). They always have a list of a variety of events in all areas (arts, music, festivals, etc.). 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! We have been to the zoo and LOVED it! We didn't get to see all of it though, and only had one day. So we'd definitely go back. I was wondering about the Magnolia Hotel. It seems nice, but I didn't know if any locals had stayed there.
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We loved Magnolia Hotel!!  They offer awesome cookies at night and often times they offer packages with free breakfast.  Call them for specials.  They often have specials.
  • Options
    lshansenlshansen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All of the above as well as downtown Omaha- a lot of cool shops, restaurants and there is a riverside. My fiance and I are having our "honeymoon" at Mahoney State Park- we're going to Europe right before we get married so we're keeping it simple. Renting a cabin there and they have a hiking trail, paddle boats, and an awesome pool area with slides and a wave pool. Idk if you're interested in the outdoor thing, but we really love it there!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This post makes me miss Omaha.  Growing up, I never thought I would miss the city and couldn't wait to leave.  Horseback riding at Mahoney, bar hopping in the Old Market, Shakespeare on the Green...I'm all sentimental now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    prinessbecaprinessbeca member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    4th of July weekend there's always a big concert at Memorial Park with fireworks. Sometimes it ends up being the weekend before, though, and I'm not sure of the date this year. The zoo is a definite must, and so is the Old Market. Joslyn and the Durham museum are some of our favorites.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've stayed at the Magnolia Hotel and it was lovely. I really enjoyed staying there and I look forward to when I'll be able to again. The food is amazing (the cheeseburger I got was one of the best cheeseburgers I've ever had). When I was there, my fiance and I got some sort of romance package and I thought it was worth the extra money.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards