Florida-Central Florida
Options

Hi girls! Long time, no chat! - Last name woes

Ok, so I got married on 9/18 and haven't changed my name yet.
Im torn...I dont know if I want to hyphenate or completely take his last name =\

Did everyone on here change completely or keep your name as well?

Re: Hi girls! Long time, no chat! - Last name woes

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not married YET, but I do plan to take my FI's last name completely; however, it is a little heartbreaking for me because my last name is the only thing that shows people I'm Puerto-Rican, lol. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I have rich Hispanic blood on my dad's side and when I drop the last name I feel like I'm almost dropping a part of myself. I'll just have a Canadian last name now haha. I refuse to hyphenate thought.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I feel "wrong" getting rid of my daddy's last name, ya know? Its just weird having one identity for your whole life and then just changing it. I'm uneasy about it =\
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am the last of my family name so it is hard for me but I will take FIs name and it is too long to put them together.  :(
  • Options
    Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome back! I'll be taking Fi's last name... I did ask him if he wanted to take mine instead and he didn't go for it, lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could do what I did...I dropped my middle name, kept my last name as my middle name and took my husband's last name as mine.  No hyphen...everybody wins!
  • Options
    Lillatina008Lillatina008 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're in the same boat!  We have been talking about me taking his last name but I do not want to lose my spanish last name. I'm trying to talk to him and let me hyphenate but i dont know....we'll have to see :)

[QUOTE]I'm not married YET, but I do plan to take my FI's last name completely; however, it is a little heartbreaking for me because my last name is the only thing that shows people I'm Puerto-Rican, lol. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I have rich Hispanic blood on my dad's side and when I drop the last name I feel like I'm almost dropping a part of myself. I'll just have a Canadian last name now haha. I refuse to hyphenate thought.
    Posted by frozenxthoughts[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Its such a tough decision! lol. I didn't think it would be so stressful. I always just assumed I'd take his name...but when it comes down to actually doing it, you start to think about how your name is part of your identity.

And as for changing my original last name to my middle and dropping my middle...thats another hard one...since im named after my grandmothers in my middle name (JoAnn...Jo from Josephine, and my other grandma's middle name is Ann). However, I hear that this is actually pretty common!!

Thanks for the input girls!
  • Options
    AileeneGAileeneG member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same issue. Nobody can tell I'm Pureto Rican from looking at me, but I liked having the last name.

I always thought I'd take my husband's last name and never thought much about it, but when it came time to file the papers, it seemed harder than it should have been. I actually waited about 5 or 6 months before I did. I didn't hyphenate it legally, but I do hyphenate sometimes when I sign (non-legal) correspondence and stuff. Just because I feel like it. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards