Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Thailand!

We're possibly going to Thailand for our honeymoon but I could use a lot of advice! For those of you who went or are going, did you book through a travel agency or an airline, which airline? What time of year is best to go down there? Favourite things to do? Ways to save money? Places to stay? Any advice would be helpful, I'm just starting to plan :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Thailand!

• Options
    veassieveassie member
    First Comment
    Im going there on my honeymoon and am elbow deep in planning! I havent been but I have done a good amount of research and can help you with stuff. Im booking everything myself as I personally am not a fan of using a travel agent.  Doing flights through expedia (for the flight im looking at its the best rate ive found) and hotel through agoda.com they have good deals on room rates especially if you are booking ahead of time.  A lot of people on thailand travel forums have recommended that site to me. Check it out!

We are going in September which from what I hear is still the rainy season.  I hear going in november is nice as the rain dies down and the temps go down, but people who have actually been there can vouch better for that i am sure.  We are getting married in Setpember and want to go directly on our hm so thats why we are braving the rainy season :)

we are probably doing 5 nights in bangkok and 5 nights in chiang mai area to get a different experience in each place.  you could also go down to one of the islands.  my florist is a thai local and recommended for islands to go to ko samui or krabi or another one i forget the name... that phuket can be a bit of a tourist trap (though gorgeous!) it really depends on what you want! bangkok is the bustling metro cosmopolitan city and chiang mai is a smaller more slower paced city with a lot of culture and a lot of fun things to do like elephant adventures and rock climbing and stuff like that.  still doing my research on activities but have a good list going so far!

from what ive heard you can go over and do lots of stuff for not a lot of money.  tourist areas will be more expensive, but you can get by on a lot less than the states from what ive seen.  Thats why we are able to swing a ten day honeymoon on our budget - we were looking at europe before and could only really afford half that time and it would be a lot tighter financially. 

if you want i can share with you what ive researched so far in terms of hotels and areas in town to stay, cool attractions restaurants to try and all that. pm me and ill send you my email if you want.

im just so excited to go i wanted to share! i know the girls who have been already will be able to help a lot more though and give more opinions from actual experience :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I leave for Thailand in less than 2 weeks. I am flying Cathay Pacific. But I used a travel agents to book our whole trip. We are spending 4 days in Bangkokm 4 in Chiang Mai and 6 in Phuket. I have found that the plane ticket is by far the most expensive part.Once you get there everything else is really cheap (by American standards)

I can give you all my recommendations when I get back in the beginning on June!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thank you ladies so much! I think I've got a good starting point now! veassie I would love to read more of your research & please share what you thought KatWAG when you get back, have a great trip! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hmm its not letting me pm you veassie? :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    veassieveassie member
    First Comment
    weird! yea i cant pm you either D:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    veassieveassie member
    First Comment
    i dont wanna post my info directly but you can go to my business and contact me through there (http://www.glowbugbeauty.com) lookin forward to hearin from you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Email sent! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I went to thialand in the month of December. The weather was excellent. I recommend krabi, it was not as tourist attraction as Puckett. We booked with a travel agency glad we did got really good deals on hotels. Oh and you definitely need to get a massage their in little towns. For 5 you get a 1/2 massage. I would go back for sure
  • Options
    Great choice for a honeymoon, ive been to Thailand twice and I absolutely love it there! Both times have been in December which is the end of the rainy season and only on the first trip did we see a little rain. I believe Jan-March is the driest time to visit Thailand but also peak season so expect prices to be a bit higher.
    How long is your trip? I would definitely recommend flying up to Chang Mai and checking out the weekend market as well you have to do an elephant trek. We did a three day elephant, hiking and rafting trip and slept in tribal villages which was amazing but we were bacpacking so probably you wouldnt want to stay where we did on a honeymoon;) But regardless its worth going to the North, theres just so much more culture than the islands.
    In terms of islands Ive been to Koh pipi, Koh Tao, Koh Panghan, Phuket and to Krabi. Out of all of them, I definitely recommend Koh pipi, its absolutely beautiful and the snorkeling, beaches are amazing. I also loved Krabi, theres some amazing kayaking there and crazy rock pillars that jet out of the ocean. Also loved Koh Panghan, ive been there twice to the full moon parties which are definitely quite the experience.
    You'll have a blast, the people are so friendly, the food is delicious and how can you not love a $5/hr massage! I got like 2 a day lol!
    Have an amazing trip and happy honeymoon planning! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you for the input on the islands SunshinyLees! Do you happen to remember the name of the elephant trek you went on? I found a few in Chiang Mai but not sure which one is good :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    Check out Ko Samui as well. I was suppose to go for a business trip back in Oct, however there was flooding and it was rained out. My meetings were postponed to this March. I was only able to see Bangkok as that is where my meetings were and didn't have time to rebook the personal side trip to Ko Samui, however I heard it is pretty incredible. There are many different areas of Thailand that are beautiful and unique, but make sure to check on the specific region you are visiting as there is a lot of terrorism happening right now in parts of the country. I was initially nervous for my visit, but everything was perfectly safe. Just watch the areas that have warnings out.
  • Options
    JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    One more thing, re airlines, if you can try Singapore Air for any portion of the flights, you will not be sorry. I try quite a bit for work and they are by far the best airline I have ever flown!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards