Florida-Central Florida

Possible Ring Allergy

So a month or so ago I wrote a post that my knuckle on my ring finger was really getting banged up by taking the ring on and off. Well it got better and now it is awful again. There are visible calluses. It really hurts to take it off without lotion. I picked up my wedding band today and it was also really tight. My e-ring is a little smaller than a 5, so I got my wedding band at exactly a 5. Today they measured it and could barely fit a size 5.5 on. They told me to take the e-ring off for at least 2 weeks and let it heal. They think that I may possibly have an allergy to the white gold and that I should upgrade to platinum (not in my budget these days! especially since my e-ring setting was pricey and has lots of detail). I've never really worn much jewelry before so I'm not sure if I'm just more susceptible to calluses or if I really could have an allergy. Boo:(

Re: Possible Ring Allergy

  • SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh no! i am so sorry!my ring is palladium. it is in the same family as platinum but is lighter and less expensive. could that be an option? or could they dip the inside of the ring in something else so the white gold doesnt touch your skin? :(
  • edited December 2011
    I guess they said I would need to get the rhodium plating on it so frequently that over the lifetime of the ring it would add up to a huge expense. They think it's actually the nickel within the gold. I will look into palladium!
  • edited December 2011
    could it also be that youre ering is a little too small? since you don't take it off, stuff like shampoo and soap etc can get trapped between your ring and your skin and can result in irritation that can resemble allergic reactions. I mention this because I had that problem with my class ring. They initially said it was an allergic reaction, but when I had it resized, all the issues went away. Just a thought...
  • amyers321amyers321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a nickel allergy(I found out in highschool when I was wearing a bracelet from a boy friend...my wrist broke out in hives!) I know at the time they mentioned that you can have it dipped or something (it adds like a coating) and that "can" help. I also think maybe seeing if you can get it in a bigger size might be a good idea too. (even a half size can make a huge difference) Hope it feels better soon :( Have you tried putting any aveno lotion or benedryl or aveno cream on it to see if taht helps?
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When my fiance bought the ring, he paid extra for ring insurance that means we get free rhodium dipping and resizing for life.  Could you see if they could give you that and then you could just get it redipped and not worry about the platinum stuff?
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice! I think I'm going to let it heal for a bit, get my finger sized again and try for the little bigger size. I sort of think it's the friction moving it over my knuckles because the bottom of my finger is fine. My e-ring seems to have a straight-edge (not rounded or beveled) and I think maybe if they change that it could help. Thanks again:)!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards