Honeymoon Discussions

Give me strength

So my FI is crazy and even for our honeymoon does not want to fly or go outside of the US because that requires flying. We are in PA so that limits us DRASTICALLY to where we can go that's not too long of a drive. Sooo, because of his extream fear of flying and refusal to go on a boat because he says they are stupid - I'm frusterated. We have a but of time but I'd like to find something before the end of the year. My only redemption is that my Sister, Mother and I are going to Greece next fall so I'm not too bummed.

What reccomendations do you have for somewhere in the continental US that are romantic and generally warm. At this point I may just book us a house in OBX.

HELP!
May 2013 August Siggy: The Hair AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! NO idea! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Give me strength

• Which month will your honeymoon occur in? And how much time will you have?
  • Has your FI looked at cruises?  What does he find "stupid" about them? 

Also, I have a fear of flying too.  No matter how much I fly, it doesn't get any better.  But I refuse to let that hold me back from seeing the world.   Has he considered seeking help for this fear?  Or is he just not into traveling that much?

• Just thinking of the East Coast, you could do Myrtle Beach. I went there in HS for a dance competition, but I do remember really enjoying it and having a good time there.

Washington DC? I don't know what you classify as "romantic" so that may not fit the bill but it would be a very interesting place to go and lots of things to do! I'd love to go there someday.

Also what time of year are you traveling? For how long? Interests? Budget?

As for the flying thing, there are some good DVDs you can do at home to overcome fear of flying if he is interested in trying. I had a friend go through I think it's called SOAR with great results; she flies all the time now. Just an FYI if he wants to try to overcome the fear.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • edited June 2012
    The Smokies? Or Shenandoah NP? I love both places and if you're at all outdoorsy they're awesome.

ETA: OOH! Or Savannah! Savannah's beautiful any time of year.
  • Britt0412Britt0412 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Charleston, SC - a good bit of driving, but doable. Finger Lakes in New York or Mackinac Island, Michigan are a few others that come to mind. If it's in the fall Vermont or Maine might be nice.
  • Maybe ask the girls on your local boards if they know of any getaways within a few hours. Maybe a bed and breakfast and a winery?
  • we are in Pittsburgh too!  we are planning on Gatlinburg, TN.  It's a long drive (9 hrs) but it might be a fun roadtrip.  Drving where I'm not familiar REALLY stresses me out (which stresses him out) so if we end up going to Gatlinburg, we're flying. 

Depending on the month, what about Erie?  that could be a fun mini-honeymoon
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Smooch711Smooch711 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    Charleston
    Savannah
    OBX
    New Orleans
    Niagara Falls
    DC
    Key West or Sanibel Island, FL
  • Xanax. He will calm down real quick. Tell him he is more likely to die in a car than a plane!
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_give-me-strength?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:b171862d-bda7-425a-b2b1-61ecab81bb10Post:943e5832-0e54-4ae8-b9ce-6db2833977df">Give me strength</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my FI is crazy and even for our honeymoon does not want to fly or go outside of the US because that requires flying. We are in PA so that limits us DRASTICALLY to where we can go that's not too long of a drive. Sooo, because of his extream fear of flying and refusal to go on a boat because he says they are stupid - I'm frusterated. We have a but of time but I'd like to find something before the end of the year. My only redemption is that my Sister, Mother and I are going to Greece next fall so I'm not too bummed. What reccomendations do you have for somewhere in the continental US that are romantic and generally warm. <strong>At this point I may just book us a house in OBX. HELP!
    </strong>Posted by kmsst48[/QUOTE]

More than happy to help!  I have been vacationing in the OBX since I was a kid and was married there last Sept. AND my brother lives there, so I am always in the area.

What time of year are you thinking of visiting?  The off-season is going to be much cheaper and I have a complete list of what I call  "Honeymoon Homes" that I have kept over the years and also share with my Knotties on the NC--Outer Banks board.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help--if I don't see your response here, come find me on the OBX board :)

• Check out Osage beach, MO...tons of fun!
  • so for the rest of your life you will neither fly or cruise anywhere wtih your husband because he refuses to fly and thinks ships are 'stupid'? eek.

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re:Give me strength:so for the rest of your life you will neither fly or cruise anywhere wtih your husband because he refuses to fly and thinks ships are 'stupid'? eek. Posted by alithebride I agree. I'm not so sure that I would be able to marry someone like that. My concern throught the marriage would be what else won't he do because he's afraid or thinks its stupid. I was in that spot in my first marriage although, he wouldn't drive long distances either. Our hm...was the pocono 500 with my parents and two of our friends...yeah. Ever since being with current dh I've realized just how much I love to travel. It's like a whole new world! I/we seriously have the travel bug and in the past 6yrs have spent well over 100k in trips. Guess that's what happens when one is oppressed and denied what they love for so many years and then can finally do it.
  • How about Cape Cod?  or Cape Cod combined with some time in Boston?   When are you taking your honeymoon?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_give-me-strength?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:b171862d-bda7-425a-b2b1-61ecab81bb10Post:153d878f-3674-4bc9-8ce5-af08aa6d6d70">Re: Give me strength</a>:
    [QUOTE]so for the rest of your life you will neither fly or cruise anywhere wtih your husband because he refuses to fly and thinks ships are 'stupid'? eek.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

Ditto this 100%

I can't imagine never being able to go see the world because of someone who won't fly or cruise. Cruising is hands down my favorite way to travel. The ships are so much fun, and you get to see so many new beautiful places all in one trip.

My SIL is afraid of flying and her FI is afraid of cruising. Well, they decided to compromise for their upcoming honeymoon since he's sick of driving everywhere and she's sick of not going on cruises (she used to love them). She agreed for them to fly down to their cruise port, and he has agreed to try out a cruise. They're going to have so much fun, and then she'll see how much more convenient it is to fly instead of driving long distances, and he'll see how amazing cruising is. It's a win-win!

I really hope your FI can get over his fear and branch out and try something new. Think about the future.. how will you take family vacations if cruising is out and you have to drive everywhere you go. Spending hours or even days in a car with little kids doesn't sound like a vacation to me.
  • Wow. Don't think the OP came here for opinions on her fiance's "faults," just some ideas on where to go. Hope you found some great suggestions!
  • edited July 2012
    OP, was nott asking for opinions on husbands fears...

How about driving to Niagra Falls? I have always wanted  to go and i just watch a marilyn Mornoe movie featuring it.
  • I'm really sorry he won't fly anywhere, my sister is DEATHLY terrified of flying, but she's still getting on a plane to come out for the wedding.  The right meds and motivation make all the difference in the world ;)

Your wedding is in May according to your profile?  I like the beach house idea, be it Cape Cod or OBX.  I lived in Charleston for almost 10 years, I find nothing romantic about it at all ;)  I keep seeing the Finger Lakes popping up, I know nothing about the area but it makes me want to look into it :)  Renting a cabin on a lake could be a lot of fun, we're doing that in TN for ours, but it'll be fall and in the mountains aso its a little different.  I've always wanted to visit Boston, I don't know how far that is from you or how romantic but there's lots to do :)  

You can always do what I do... go to your surrounding states' tourism websites, order free information, if you indicate you're looking for a possible honeymoon you might get more info on romantic hotels and stuff than if you just got the standard book.  Happy hunting! :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I know he thinks ships are stupid, but would he be willing to consider a cruise out of Baltimore? No flying required. Otherwise, it depends on what you'd consider a doable drive. For some people, that's under 4 hours so you'd be looking at DC, Baltimore, Niagra Falls, etc. But depending on the time of year, those places might not be too warm (or if you've been sitting in DC the past few weeks, too f-ing hot and humid to do anything outside at all).
  • I second Niagara Falls.  It's not "tropical," but there's lots of adventurous things to do, and cute B&Bs in the wine country. 

If you want beaches, then you could go further north in Ontario to cottage country.
    ~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Can you hop a train somewhere? That might open up some possiblities, especially if its AMTRAK.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OMG! I am so glad I found this post again I thought the KNOT ate it! 

Well, he's honestly traveled for most of his life. He's terrified of flying as he's had a pretty tramatic flying experience and he's just not into going places anymore. He's lived everywhere, been everywhere and I'm totally ok with him not wanting to travel in life - just not the honeymoon. He's a pretty basic down to earth guy but it's just really not his bag.  After reading some posts there seemes to be a good bit of options. In terms of boats he thinks they're boring and hasn't really enjoyed the sea. I've been on a few cruises and I would rather just stay in one place then stop, shop and go. However, he'll take a boat to let's say an island or somethign like that.  He's a cold weather person where he'd like to play hockey and ski while I'm a sunshine and warm days with the beach. 

We'd like to travel mid may for about 10 days or so and be home before the holiday weekend. 

Thanks again for the help! I totally appreciate it!

May 2013 August Siggy: The Hair AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! NO idea! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm also from PA and we're going to the Finger Lakes in NY! So many wineries and things to do! We're staying at a B&B right in Seneca Lake! If you like outdoorsy things (and wine, of course!) this is a great spot. Plus-it's not a horrible drive!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards