Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honeymoon destination with no dress code?

Hello! Might you ladies have any recommendations of a honeymoon destination/resorts that don't impose dress codes on guests? 

My FI and I are "jeans and a t-shirt" kind of people, and don't want to brings slacks/skirts/dress shirts/dress shoes just to fit in on a vacay where we are supposed to be ourselves. It seems that is all I can really find in my searches. 

We're definitely thinking beach, outside of the continental US, but are open on location. Mexico? Caribbean? All inclusive would be nice, but definitely not required. It will be mid-june if that makes a difference.

Any help is appreciated -- thank you!!

Re: Honeymoon destination with no dress code?

• Options
    We went to the Sun Palace in Cancun Mexico in February.  I don't think there was a dress code.  There are a couple restaurants where you'd feel out of place wearing jeans, but you don't have to eat there if you don't want to.  It's an AI.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-destination-with-no-dress-code?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:b259c8f6-5106-4f03-81e2-48ae3fa07ee1Post:a6f6b8b9-a2fd-4bc7-b739-a6203ab4c5dc">Re: Honeymoon destination with no dress code?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went to the Sun Palace in Cancun Mexico in February.  I don't think there was a dress code.  There are a couple restaurants where you'd feel out of place wearing jeans, but you don't have to eat there if you don't want to.  It's an AI.  
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thank you! I will look into that.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-destination-with-no-dress-code?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:b259c8f6-5106-4f03-81e2-48ae3fa07ee1Post:a6f6b8b9-a2fd-4bc7-b739-a6203ab4c5dc">Re: Honeymoon destination with no dress code?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went to the Sun Palace in Cancun Mexico in February.  I don't think there was a dress code.  There are a couple restaurants where you'd feel out of place wearing jeans, but you don't have to eat there if you don't want to.  It's an AI.  
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We have been to Sun Palace several times and there is a dress code for the Italian restaurant. Also there are dress codes at some of the other Palace restaurants for dinner.

</div>
  • Options
    Have you considered a cruise? Norwegian is the only cruise line that doesn't have a formal night. Other cruise lines have 1-2 formal nights for a week long cruise, but you can always opt to order room service (always free) or go up to the buffet to eat instead of the formal dining room. Please note, however that even on non-formal nights the dress code is "smart casual" which means no shorts, flip flops, bathing suits, etc..

http://www2.ncl.com/
  • Options
    Well it's not outside the US, but Hawaii is very casual and laid back. I walked around most places in a swimswuit cover-up and put on flowy sundresses at night to go out to dinner. However jeans/shorts/t-shirts would have been acceptable for all the places we dined at except one that was fancier. Overall the islands are very casual and a lot of places (in our experience) have no dress codes. Besides all that we LOVED it there and it's beautiful.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Most AI that I have been to do not require a dress code or if they do its easy to accommodate for IE no wet swim suits.

a few of the fancier AI's have stricter rules, like the RIU we stayed at in Costa Rica but overall I think you should be fine anywhere you go.

Generally the resort web sites or reviews should give you clues about the level of fancy dress required.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We have been to a resort down in Mexico and it was not a strict dress code at all. The nice restaurant was pretty much, no shorts or swim suits. So I wore a summer dress and my husband wore jeans. It was pretty laid back. I think the idea of a dress code is a bit overstated. It isn't like it is in the US. It is much more relaxed and informal. They just don't want you to show up in a swim suit.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Thanks everyone for the responses! I have a lot to look into.
    <div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE]We have been to a resort down in Mexico and it was not a strict dress code at all. The nice restaurant was pretty much, no shorts or swim suits. So I wore a summer dress and my husband wore jeans. It was pretty laid back. I think the idea of a dress code is a bit overstated. It isn't like it is in the US. It is much more relaxed and informal. They just don't want you to show up in a swim suit.
    Posted by dazyabbey[/QUOTE]
    Thanks! What resort did you stay at?</div>
  • Options
    Theres no way i'd spend time in mexico or the caribbean in jeans-just too freaking hot.
    you can still be casual but look nicer. grab a casual skirt and tank top or a casual summer dress and you're done.

fwiw-if you stay at a nice place bringing a skirt and shirt to wear for dinner is what you should do. if everyone showed up in jeans and tshirts it would seem like mcdonalds.
    of course i'm not saying you have to go to someplace and get all dressed up but it makes it nicer, imo, when people put in a teeny bit more effort. besides-a casual skirt is so much more comfortable in the hot weather than jeans.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-destination-with-no-dress-code?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:b259c8f6-5106-4f03-81e2-48ae3fa07ee1Post:fbf57e3a-d198-42d1-96dd-4b7c0266b518">Re: Honeymoon destination with no dress code?</a>:
    [QUOTE] fwiw-if you stay at a nice place bringing a skirt and shirt to wear for dinner is what you should do. if everyone showed up in jeans and tshirts it would seem like mcdonalds. of course i'm not saying you have to go to someplace and get all dressed up but it makes it nicer, imo, when people put in a teeny bit more effort. besides-a casual skirt is so much more comfortable in the hot weather than jeans.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with all of this. I wore dresses/ skirts our entire honemoon, because even jean shorts made me hot and uncomfortable.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-destination-with-no-dress-code?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:b259c8f6-5106-4f03-81e2-48ae3fa07ee1Post:fbf57e3a-d198-42d1-96dd-4b7c0266b518">Re: Honeymoon destination with no dress code?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Theres no way i'd spend time in mexico or the caribbean in jeans-just too freaking hot. you can still be casual but look nicer. grab a casual skirt and tank top or a casual summer dress and you're done. fwiw-if you stay at a nice place bringing a skirt and shirt to wear for dinner is what you should do. if everyone showed up in jeans and tshirts it would seem like mcdonalds. of course i'm not saying you have to go to someplace and get all dressed up but it makes it nicer, imo, when people put in a teeny bit more effort. besides-a casual skirt is so much more comfortable in the hot weather than jeans.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

I agree with this too...When I saw people wearing jeans in Mexico, I was shocked.

The resort we stayed at had a dress code from some places and H just wore linen pants, but I did see people in those places in jeans and warm up pants (the dress code was long pants, so I guess they weren't breaking it). There were plently of places to go at the resort that didn't require long pants
  • Options
    The only time he wore jeans was for dinner. Considering he doesn't really own any khaki pants and we didn't want to buy any just for the trip, I didn't think it was a big deal. It was not overly hot when we were there so it wasn't a problem. Not sure why everyone thinks if you wear jeans for one dinner at one restaurant it means you must wear them the entire time you are in Mexico. Seems silly. Also, he wore darker jeans and a polo. So it wasn't like McDonalds.  

• Options
    Thanks for everyone's responses. I do apologize, I should have been more specific, my "jeans and a tshirt" reference was just a generalization about our dressing style: relaxed, casual, and not very formal. I dress up for work -- don't want to have to on my honeymoon. But I definitely realize it's hot on the beach.. ;-) (Dreaming for some heat right about now, it's 30* with snow on the ground here in KC.)

Thanks again for the feedback ladies.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-destination-with-no-dress-code?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:b259c8f6-5106-4f03-81e2-48ae3fa07ee1Post:0cb3edbe-1f60-4f4f-b424-5ee4bcf614a3">Re: Honeymoon destination with no dress code?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for everyone's responses. I do apologize, I should have been more specific, my "jeans and a tshirt" reference was just a generalization about our dressing style: relaxed, casual, and not very formal. I dress up for work -- don't want to have to on my honeymoon. But I definitely realize it's hot on the beach.. ;-) (Dreaming for some heat right about now, it's 30* with snow on the ground here in KC.) Thanks again for the feedback ladies.
    Posted by laurenfournier[/QUOTE]

Ok I understand :) dh and i are really casual on vacay as well and I too have to dress up for work so i look forward to a comfy skirt, flip flops and a tank top. that, to me, is still casual but nicer than jeans. just perception i guess.

• Options
    Negril, Jamaica is very laid-back.  I might take a jean skirt with me, but otherwise, I wear shorts and tank tops to dinner every night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Negril, Jamaica is very laid-back.  I might take a jean skirt with me, but otherwise, I wear shorts and tank tops to dinner every night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is technically the US, but the Florida Keys have a great relaxed vibe and there are resorts with no dress codes. My preference in the keys is to go for full privacy and rent a house. www.vrbo.com has great vacation rentals available at every price point. We rented beach front in the town of Marathon this summer and the most I wore most days was a bikini and towel. There are many great restaurants and activities around Marathon and only an hour drive to key west with no dress codes anywhere. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards