Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Any mosquitos in Hawaii?

We're leaving for our honeymoon in 2 weeks. We're staying in Oahu and the Big Island. How is the bug and mosquito situation in Hawaii? Do i need to bring any bug sprays? thanks ladies!
Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Any mosquitos in Hawaii?

• Options
    Our guide book said to bring repellant but we didn't see any mosquitos.  I think the only bugs we saw were moths at night, and those were very few.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I've never been but am familiar with mosiqitoes. I say take a small can of repellant and a bunch of dryer sheets just in case.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    wcasarwcasar member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    They do have mosquitos. I would just recommend wearing it in the late afternoon/evenings and if you plan on doing hiking. You notice them more when you go to specific parts of the island (like around the trees/natural area). You won't even notice them if you stay in high-traffic areas like Waikiki.

I hope you have a blast!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_any-mosquitos-in-hawaii?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:b49d6465-93ce-4ba7-ae27-5ee3a7c1c969Post:96fca2c9-0faf-466e-aca7-1629c87d6f36">Re: Any mosquitos in Hawaii?</a>:
    [QUOTE]They do have  mosquitos. I would just recommend wearing it in the late afternoon/evenings and if you plan on doing hiking. You notice them more when you go to specific parts of the island (like around the trees/natural area). You won't even notice them if you stay in high-traffic areas like Waikiki. I hope you have a blast!
    Posted by wcasar[/QUOTE]

We brought (and needed) mosquito repellent while hiking on the Big Island.  There are different needs depending on where you are.  Along the shore, we did not need to seem bug spray but when were hiking, it was necessary.   The Big Island has such gorgeous parks and trails that I would not have wanted to miss.
  • Options
    I did not notice any on Oahu. We weren't really around a lot of trees or dark/damp areas though--mainly beaches--and the only hiking we did was on Diamond Head. I would probably bring some if you are concerned so it doesn't make you miserable (I get sooo swelled up from mosquito bites, it's awful!). If nothing else, you could purchase there. Oahu has a ton of ABC stores where they sell stuff like that, but I'm sure it's cheaper on the mainland.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    It's really not too bad.  We usually bring bug spray when we go just in case, but I've only used it a few times.  If you are planning to go hiking or anything around fresh water, then you can probably justify using a bit, but if you are just going to lay on the beach, I don't think you'll have too many issues.  If you don't pack any, there are TONS of ABC stores that will carry it, or even any grocery/drug store, Walmart, etc.  I'd be much more worried about packing sunscreen, THAT you'll definitely need.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm a mosquito magnet and yes, there are mosquitoes.  Bring bug spray for when your hiking and you should be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards