Muslim Weddings

Muslim woman marrying catholic man?

Are you a muslim woman marrying a catholic man? If so, how are you getting married? Is one of you converting? If you did, what rules or steps did you take? If neither one of you is converting, what do you have to do to make the marriage valid in each religion? I have been told many times a muslim woman can't marry a catholic man. Trying to find more information on sources of this claim.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Muslim woman marrying catholic man?

• edited December 2011
    its in the quran and the hadith....r u the only muclim in your family...muslim men can married a non-muslim...she has to me a woman of the book....(is christain, catholic, jewish) ect....BUT NOT visa versa....u need to talk to your imam....
    Prophet Muhammad(pbuh)said:"Nikah(marriage)is my Sunnah. He/She who shuns my Sunnah is not of me.?
  • pregliciouspreglicious member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, my family is muslim too. Could you please give me the references from the Quran and Hadith? Sounds unfair.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    hmm ya I do agree, getting married to a catholic is haram dear, unless he is converting and he has to do so, before you guys marry inshallah
  • LunamaijulietLunamaijuliet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the same pickle deary. I have only read in the quran that when we marry a man who is of a different religion, and most believe the catholic religion is pagan-ish, that he must convert. Only because when we marry we must submit to our husband and they most love us unconditionally. That is harder for us muslim women because we don't see the same way that our husbands do when they think of God. Technically my fiance isn't very religious so insh'Allah he will convert. Insh'Allah yours will too if you want to remain with him. I know they say it's HARAM but haram is such a big word. It is only haram because God wants you to be happy and not end up fighting all the time with him about religion, because in the end when it comes to the children you raise it will always be religion.
  • edited December 2011
    A verse that states the forbidden nature of a Muslim woman marrying a non-Muslim is as follows:

2:
    221 Wed not idolatresses till they believe; for lo! a believing bondwoman is better than an idolatress though she please you; and give not your daughters in marriage to idolaters till they believe, for lo! a believing slave is better than an idolater though he please you. These invite unto the Fire, and Allah inviteth unto the Garden, and unto forgiveness by His grace, and expoundeth His revelations to mankind that haply they may remember.

This is surah al Baqarah. Many people will say that the reasons for this is many. It may be that the non Muslim man may stop his wife from practicing her religion or that he may influence her in a way so that she no longer performs the obligatory prescriptions of Islam. Also, you have to think about future children. Will they be raised Muslim? It may be that a non-Muslim husband may oppress his wife because he does not share the same beliefs and his etiquettes are not best suited to respecting his wife. A man is the keeper of faith in his home so we should marry pious men who can lead us in prayer and guide us to doing good deeds. There are I'm sure many more reasons, and ALLAH(swt) Knows all.
  • rimanrumrumrimanrumrum member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi dear;

Actually if you are never coming to an arab or muslim country then you can just have a civil marrage; otherwise He has to become a muslim he has to go to a mosque or a muslim council
    good luck
  • edited December 2011
    Ladies, apologies if the following statement offends anyone...

I am guessing that arranged marriages are still practiced for this very reason; because most Muslim women do not have the right to marry the love of their life just as they didn't thousands of years ago. It makes me sad that Muslim families bring their daughters to America so that they can enjoy a life of independence and freedom..that is, until they reach marrying age and then they find them some man back in the old country whom they have never met before.

I am a Muslim woman (born to Muslim parents from Bosnia) and next summer I am marrying a man of Christian descent. Neither of us is heavily religious and religion has never been an issue for us in our seven year relationship. We are people who are unbelievably in love with each other and who each have faith in God...it doesn't matter what we call that God. As for our wedding, we are having a non-denominational ceremony and someday when we decide to have children, we will raise them to have faith in God just as we were both taught by our parents. Is there really a need to make it any more complicated than this?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • thekamransthekamrans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes in the Quran it does say that women have to marry a believing muslim and that muslim men are free to marry as they wish as long as they believe in God and are faithful to their book of faith.
  • edited December 2011
    I am having the same issue ... but luckily my mom went through this with my dad.
    He converted on the day of the wedding at the masjid and married my mom.
    I definitely don't want a mosque wedding and I know my fiance wouldn't be keen on claiming any religion so my mother's route is definitely not the one I am going to take.

I also feel that it's "unfair" but the hadithas and the Quran do state that a man may marry non-believing chaste women of the book but women may not marry a non-believing man.  But islam is a patro-lineage religion (given to children by the father).

In all honesty I am also not a very good muslim, but would like to incorporate part of my mixed heritage in the wedding as well ...

I am hoping just to ask a progressive imam to officiate the wedding ... if that doesn't work out I may just have a passage of the Quran or a Rumi poem read ...

*sigh*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_muslim-weddings_muslim-woman-marrying-catholic-man?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:660Discussion:be6706a1-3c63-487d-ba1f-981e87992526Post:173c76d6-9a5e-42a3-ad0f-e2832ddd8818">Re: Muslim woman marrying catholic man?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ladies, apologies if the following statement offends anyone... I am guessing that arranged marriages are still practiced for this very reason; because most Muslim women do not have the right to marry the love of their life just as they didn't thousands of years ago. It makes me sad that Muslim families bring their daughters to America so that they can enjoy a life of independence and freedom..that is, until they reach marrying age and then they find them some man back in the old country whom they have never met before. I am a Muslim woman (born to Muslim parents from Bosnia) and next summer I am marrying a man of Christian descent. Neither of us is heavily religious and religion has never been an issue for us in our seven year relationship. We are people who are unbelievably in love with each other and who each have faith in God...it doesn't matter what we call that God. As for our wedding, we are having a non-denominational ceremony and someday when we decide to have children, we will raise them to have faith in God just as we were both taught by our parents. Is there really a need to make it any more complicated than this?
    Posted by MissBrightside[/QUOTE]

I adore this reply ... I feel the same thing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I found a few of these posts a bit offensive.

I don't really understand how people choose to blame the religion for their own inability to follow it, if you don't want to practice Islam the correct way - no one is forcing you to follow it at all...but, please stop complaining and whining about it!

As for the claim that Muslim parents force their children into marriage, etc...how very ignorant! I have many Jewish, Catholic friends whose parents feel the same...ie marry into the same religion/culture...it doesn't take awayfrom their freedom or indicate any sort of narrowmindedness...it's just people wanting to stay true to their roots...what's wrong with that?
  • edited December 2011
    I am offended by your misinformed notions about "arranged" marriages. Islam gives women every right to have a love marriage and in fact, the Prophet Mohammad's frst marriage was a LOVE marriage, his wife was the one who PROPOSED!

So, to insinuate that Muslim parents parcel their kids off, blah blah, just sounds very prejudiced/ignorant...maybe, you should look into Islam in a more intellectual way instead of just on a personal experience level...

ALSO, a man should not convert to Islam for the purpose of marriage...the only time someone should accept Islam is for their love of God and the religion...
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Everyone....
    I have to post on this!!!! My dad is muslim and my mom a christian. They have been married for over 30 years and are so in love. They do have their differnces about things, but the number one thing I would suggest, as a child of an interfaith relationship, is to discuss how you will raise the kids once you have them. the only fights my parents got into were about my dad's strict ways vs. my mom's more american easy going values. I am all for interfaith relationships but please think about your future children and how you will raise them.

I think overall it made me a more open honest individual and i respect all faiths and cultures. Thanks
  • shawwal6shawwal6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally would never consider marrying a non-muslim...this is because I want to build a muslim household and raise little muslims, etc etc etc...and I feel that that is best done and easiest to do with a muslim husband...but that is what is right for ME.

My advice, do what is right for YOU.  The only person that will be accountable for your actions is YOU.  If you disagree with the guidance on marriage, it is your decision to make.

Best wishes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards