Muslim Weddings

Muslim Wedding Length

Hi All-

I have a question. I want to know how long the traditional Persian/Muslim wedding ceremony is. I am a Christian, and my Fi's family is Muslim. To respect all families, we agreed to do both Christian and Muslim ceremonies. I want both ceremonies to be as quick as possible- I'm talking like 45 Minutes total. 

My soon-to-be Mother In-Law is claiming that it is going to be 1 hour to an hour and a half. This is much longer than what I want the TOTAL ceremonies to be. 

Does any one know how long the traditional Muslim ceremony takes? Also, whats the shortest amount we can make the ceremony?

Thank you ahead of time for reading. 

Jackie

Re: Muslim Wedding Length

• kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there - I think it really depends what the schedule is for your ceremony and the intracate rituals involved. Set up a schedule and list out the subset rituals/or ceremonies.

It could be as simple as signing the certificate, reading some of the scriptures, and then moving on to the reception or something.  If you are intending to incorporate the Christian wedding rituals, then it runs a bit longer.  Also, make sure that all wedding parties make it on time.  This in itself can make a 45 minute ceremony go on for more than 1.5 hours :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • bito42bito42 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our muslim wedding ceremony will be about 30 mins. There are no rituals--most of the rituals that are in them are cultural. It's up to you and your fiance as to whether you want their to be a 'khutbah' (sermon) or some words that the imam or person marrying you says. Otherwise it's just the signing of the contracts with witnesses, which doesn't even have to happen in front of everyone (though I think it's nice if it does)
  • thekamransthekamrans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,
    My fiance is from Karachi Pakistan and we are having a traditional Muslim Ceremony, althouth not with many people at all. I was told for prayer and the reading of the marriage certificate and all I will be sitting for at least 2 hours. Ugh. I know. Good luck with that 45 minutes! haha. Maybe ur fiance is willing to compromise though... better talk to HIS MOTHER!!!
  • shawwal6shawwal6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I take it you are not just talking about a Muslim marriage ceremony, you also mentioned Persian.  Girl, forget about it.  Listen to your MIL to be, she is right.  It is long...but it is BEYOOOOTIFUL :)  Trust the process.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards