Asian Weddings
Options

Can you speak Korean?

I could when I was little but not anymore. M bought me the Korean Roseta Stone but I haven't been using it. My mom is from Korea so she is fluent, but she doesn't really want to teach me as she thinks it will be hard for me to learn.  

Re: Can you speak Korean?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I came to the US when I was 12 so I'm called 1.5 generation Korean and fluent.  Use the Korean Roseta Stone unless you don't like it.  My FI is trying to learn how to just speak only, reading and writing is way too hard at this point.My non-korean friends, watch tons of korean dramas.  they pick up pretty fast!!!!  Once you start learning, you can try to communicate with your mom in Korean only...good practice.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I speak bits & pieces but I'm not fluent.I'd LOVE to be. and really need to learn for professional/career reasons. But I'm not sure how to best do it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not even going to attempt trying to read/write it for awhile! Way to difficult!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used to be pretty good at it as a child but then the teasing from school caused me to drop it fast. I can relearn it pretty quick when I'm surrounded by it all the time but it's hard to motivate me when it's not actually forced. What I've been doing is listening to Korean music and looking up the translations to figure out what's being said. It's a good way to learn and fun too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lacey, that's an awesome suggestion. I didn't think of that. & the movie idea was good too. I admit that when I watch Korean movies (LOVE LOVE LOVE them), I catch a few phrases here or there or can tell if the translation is wrong. But I never thought of watching it TO learn the language.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    GRACEPARK7GRACEPARK7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to be more fluent in english until I started working for korean Company.  Im now 50/50 which is really bad. =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mofe, I can speak, read and write Korean for the most part. I was fluent as a kid and then forgot everything. The military sent me to language school so now I can speak and work my way through a newspaper (albeit slowly). I recommend you watch the dramas. it's the quickest way to catch on. As for writing and reading, it's all phonetic so it's really easy. you may not iknow what you're reading but you can definately be able to read. GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom is Korean and she didn't teach me because kids would make fun of me. Sad. So I know mostly conversational basics. But want to learn before I go and visit my mom's side of the family in March.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I....love Korean Dramas too. Coffee Prince, and Prince Hours ftw!  But alas, I'm hairing impaired so I have no idea on correct phonetics since ---> due to my hearing<--- (NOT the language), it's too distorted for me to understand. I have a hard enough time in English, too!

Let me know if the Rosetta Stone helps in that aspect. I wouldn't mind learning myself!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi, my FI is Koearn-American and can speak Korean, but not write. I'm Bolivian/Mexican-American and I can write simple sentences in Hangul, but my conversation skills need work.  I found it easier to learn Hangul (Korean alphabet) instead of relying on Romanization.  Since I know English and Spanish, I found it easier to take an adult education class for beginning Korean instead of using Rosetta Stone. Learning Hangul made it easier to learn how to pronounce words and make simple sentences (especially how to use the honorific form for conjugating verbs). I really liked watching the Korean drama My Lovely Sam Soon (it's on Netflix). I heard that City Hall is also a popular drama right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards