Asian Weddings

Bridesmaid dresses to coordinate with red cheongsam / qipao

Hello! 

With the help of my FMIL I just purchased my beautiful bright red cheongsam!  We are doing a Tea Ceremony before the western ceremony, and will be taking photos with each other and the bridal party and family. 

I was wondering if anyone has tried to coordinate their bridesmaid dress colors with their red cheongsam? and has any ideas or photos to share?  We are getting married in June and I was thinking of using a dark purple / plum or eggplant color.  The cheongsam actually has touches of bright blue / aqua in it but I'm not sure about the blue / red combination?  Any suggestions and photos to share would be great!  I do not need them to "match" but I would like the colors to look nice together in photos and not totally clash.

Thanks!  

Re: Bridesmaid dresses to coordinate with red cheongsam / qipao

• will47will47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wife's bridesmaids (only 2 of them) kept their western style bridesmaid dresses (which were a dark purple) on when she changed into her red qipao during the banquet; in the morning for the tea ceremony they just wore other dresses, which weren't coordinated specifically with either the qipao or even with each other. Having them change to match would have been more expensive and more hassle / stress for them. I think the purple dresses worked well enough with it.

Honestly, though it's tempting to stress about it, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over whether it matches perfectly.

If you're not against having them also wear red, and they don't mind buying or renting extra dresses, I've seen it done where the bridesmaids also wear Chinese traditional dress (either gua or qipao) in red, but in a less ornate style than the bride's dress
    my read shelf:
    William's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards