Asian Weddings

Adding Filipino Elements to my Wedding

Hello!  I'm planning to have a "wish" theme'd wedding on 11/11/11 (<--- these represent candles!). I am in the initial planning stages.  So far the decor would consist of things that would light up and reflect the wish mood.

I am half Filipino and my FI is white and know nothing about my culture haha.  I wanted to incoprorate either a Maria Clara or Terno design into my and my bridesmaids' dresses.  (My cousin says that Maria Clara attire is more traditional for filipino weddings than mestiza dresses. But I wanna get other opinions.)

Second, is there a particular (and easy) dance that would be good for my then husband and me to dance for our First Dance?

Thank you so much :)
?*:.?. o(???)o .?.:*? June.23.2012

Re: Adding Filipino Elements to my Wedding

• cla214bluecla214blue member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All the weddings I have been to in the Philippines, they just had some sort of Waltz inspired first dance nothing fancy.  The other simple filipinio dance I can think of would be Carinosa and honestly I have not seen or heard any couple do the carinosa as a first dance, you may try to find a romantic filipino song to dance to which I think would be easier.   I tried to incorporate the Maria Clara or even Kimona style dresses for my BM's but I feel those dresses are not made for women who are "top heavy" so I decided against it, I have a BM who will certainly not feel comfortable wearing it although she says she will.

Good luck and congratulations. 
  • edited December 2011
    I am half filipino as well and getting married in September 2012. I have decided that my BM's will have modern dresses and only I will wear a martizsta bolero, that is detachable from my wedding dress. that way i have the traditional butterfly sleeves. congrats and good luck!Laughing
  • edited December 2011
    @FUTUREMANNY Do you mean the mestiza bolero from barongsrus?  I just looked it up and it's gorgeous!  That's such a great idea as an option to have "traditional" photo ops and yet still detach it and have the modern look of your dress alone!  (Totally saved that link in my favorites, btw).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards