Greek Weddings
Options

Wedding favors

I know the almonds are traditional but i'm not a fan. I was thinking of doing a candy buffet. Do you think not sticking to tradition will offend anyone?

Re: Wedding favors

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i was just at a wedding both greek and they had a bottle of oil as the favor and there werent any almonds attached.... i was really surprised that they didnt do that i dont think you will offend anyone ppl might talk about it (were greek we gossip) but they have a meaning behind them thats why we do it: Koufeta Symbolism in Greek Culture: These tasty sugar coated nuts, called Koufeta in Greek, are said to represent many things. The bittersweet almond taste is symbolic of life itself. The sugar coating is the hope that life will be blessed with more sweetness than bitterness. In Greek culture, to ensure sweetness and purity in the marriage, "koufeta" boubounieres must be filled with an odd number of white candy-coated almonds. The odd number is indivisible and symbolizes how the husband and wife will share everything and remain undivided. The white symbolizes purity; the shape of the almond symbolizes never-ending love. Middle Eastern wedding custom dictates that 5 Jordan Almonds pieces are presented to each wedding guest as wedding favors. The number five represents five wedding wishes: health, wealth, happiness, fertility and longevity.

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    have koufeta in one of the jars. I would throw in the koufeta in there somehow. Also mini bottle's of ouzo can be cute attached with some koufeta (remember...odd number...has to be either 5, 7 or 9) We did 7 in ours.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Raffaella you giving everyone my idea :) re skato lol

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Eimai skatoulitsa...ti na kanw!! LOL (or you are just copying me....or I should say "great GREEK minds think alike") I also saw your bio and the ouzo bottle idea. I will say...if you do the flower idea, it has to be on each place setting...also keep in mind, if you do one per invitiation, how do you think that will look set up on the table? If you have 2 families at a table, you will have 2 little bottles. It will look funny. We did crystal heart wine stoppers. http://www.weddingaccessories.net/-strse-1383/crystal-heart-bottle-stopper/Detail.bok We had a small wallet photo sitting on the box with our e-pic and info to log on to see our wedding pictures. Our colors were silver and off white so this box was perfect! I too did not want a toss away favor...but this is a practical gift. We had the koufeta in a separate organza and toulle bag with the favor tag that said Thank You and our names (in Greek). The original plan was to have both the box and bag with koufeta on the table, but my mom invited some people only to the church (we got married in Greece and it is normal to do there) so we had to pass out the koufeta favors in church and had the wine stoppers at the reception since I only ordered enough of those for our reception guests.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    flrtaciousgrk   - Where did you get the mini bottles of Ouzo???
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ::butting in:: our friends had this as a favor for their engagement party and the bottle says it is from Athenee Imports & Distributord Athenee Importers PO Box 2039 Hempstead, NY 11551 tel: (516) 505-4800 fax: (516) 505-4876 email: info@atheneeimporters.com you can google this r even check ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/TSANTALI-OUZO-50ml-Mini-Glass-Bottle-Greece-Rare_W0QQitemZ350240326727QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518bf34447&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ht_765wt_887 (maybe this seller can sell it in bulk)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i actually googles liquor store in astoria NY since that is pretty much greek town. and i rmember (by picture) the place FI went to get some bottles of ouzo for himself. they have mini Plomari ouzo bottles <--this is a good brand 48 per case $178 and you get 10% for ordering more than 32. Grand Wine Liquor 3005 31st St Astoria NY 11102 (718) 728 2520 im pretty sure were going to go with them my parents have their own business and ordered greek drinks from this company so my mom is going to find that paper and call these ppl and see what their price is also. so if we can get it cheaper that way ill let you know their number if they supply it. if not id go with the one i just mentioned.

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the awesome ideas. It's been a big help! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards