Honeymoon Discussions

Puerto Rico or Bahamas?

Both look awesome! But how easy is it to travel between the islands in the Bahamas? I read on a website that you have to pay between $35-$160 pp round trip to ride a mail boat to the different islands....Seems like a lot of money. Any info would be appreciated!

Re: Puerto Rico or Bahamas?

• I've not been to the Bahamas, but everyone I know who has been has said it's very, very overpriced, considering that you can get similar experiences on other islands.  You get a lot more bang for your buck in Puerto Rico  (also, check out the W Hotel on Vieques Island, Puerto Rico - it's a really cool resort that's on my and FI's "bucket list" - not sure if it's in your price range, but I figured it was worth mentioning).
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Also have not been to the Bahamas but LOVE LOVE LOVE PR and would highly recommend it!
    June 16, 2012
  • I have been in both and I vote Puerto Rico! Bahamas seems more like a cruise destination and that means you get ripped off for everything! Puerto Rico is still touristy, but if you ask a local you'll get the nice tips.
    We rented a car (you kinda need to, unless you want to pay cabs) and it was super cheap. The food is amazing, the beaches are awesome, and there are TONS of things to do.
    Don't miss the Bacardi factory (free), the Yunque forest (also free ;) ), and the luminescent lagoon (amazing!)....oh gosh, I loved PR!....PM me if you want more tips!
  • Never been to the Bahamas so no help there.

I LOVE PR. FI and I stayed in Condado last May. We rented a condo a block off the beach for about $80 per night and airfare was about $350pp, but we spent a good chunk of money eating out. The food and culture there is amazing though. Old San Juan is a MUST. We had planned to rent a car for a day or two and go explore El Yunque and do this cruise out of Fajardo but the weather was stormy on the Eastern side of the island so we just stayed in San Juan the whole time. We are definitely going to plan a trip back someday, we fell in love with it! HTH!

• I loved PR when I went. We flew into the western part of the island, Aguadilla and we spent a lot of time in Rincon. I was beautiful. We rented a car and drove to San Juan for a day. We went to El Yunque rainforest. It was wonderful.

When I went to Bahamas it was part of a cruise. It was nice also, but my vote goes for Puerto Rico.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • well, i guess that depends on how much island hopping you hope to do.
    been to paradise island and nassau in bahamas and PR 3 times.

• PUERTO RICO!! the bahamas are incredible overpriced, over-touristy, and there are not many excursion options. i just got back from a trip to the atlantis resort - had a blast with friends, but enjoyed puerto rico itself much, much more. 

as other knotties have said - el yunque is a MUST!!! swimming in the waterfall is a once in a lifetime experience.  so is the evening snorkeling trip out with the glow-in-the-dark aquatic creature.  san juan is a classy and fun area with much more reasonably priced meals, fun nightlife (where you won't fear for your safety), TONS of high-end shopping, and some historical sightseeing too!  

feel free to message me if you have any questions. seriously just got back from nassau two weeks ago and am obsessed with san juan. HTH! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards