Honeymoon Discussions

Late September Beach Honeymoon Help!

Hello! We are starting to look at honeymoon ideas and getting a bit overwhelmed. We want to be away for 10-12 nights which puts us around the last week of September and first week of October - smack in the middle of hurricane season. If anyone has any suggestions it would be MUCH appreciated! We absolutely want a beach front all inclusive food and booze resort and a room with a balcony facing the ocean. Total amount to spend for air and accomodations is 6k. 

Thanks again for your advise!! =)

Re: Late September Beach Honeymoon Help!

• I am sure many posters will be able to give you great recommendations on where to stay.  But I will tell you a story about HMing in October.  A friend of mine got married the first weekend of October and then she and her H went to Anguilla for their HM.  The first two or three days they were there the island was hit by a hurricane.  Their room flooded and as you can guess the weather sucked.  However, the hotel was amazing and moved them to a non-flooded and even better room.  Once the hurricane had moved out they had the most incredible weather for the rest of their 7 night stay.  And after all was said and done, they look back on their HM with fond memories and great and funny stories.

So go where you want and don't worry about the weather.  You can never be sure that weather won't cooperate.  So purchase some trip insurance just in case and if you do end up on your HM and bad weather hits, you can still always have an amazing time in your room :)

• This post is just a few down:

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_beach-honeymoon-in-october

You're best bet is the Caribbean if you want all inclusive, so just purchase trip insurance in the case that something comes up with weather. Check out Secrets,Iberostar, Excellence, Couples, and Zoetry Resorts.

• You'd be safe from hurricane season in Hawaii, but they have no AI's.  For the Caribbean (which is where most AI's are), Aruba, Bonaire, & Curacao are out of the hurricane belt, so that's another option.  In reality though, you really should just choose where you WANT to go and just buy travel insurance JIC.
    Anniversary
  • edited February 2013
    Ditto going where you want and investing in travel insurance. Heck, we always purchase trip insurance on big vacations, whether it's in the hurricane region or not. We make sure it covers things like not being able to go because of weather, sickness, other life events (family death, etc). It is worth it if you are dropping thousands on a trip. Just go where you want! Every region of the world has natural disasters that are possible. I live in the Midwest and if you travel here in the summer or spring, you are at risk of tornadoes or flooding. But most people don't say, "I don't want to go to Illinois in June because what about tornadoes?" Tornadoes in the midwest are WAY more common than a hurricane hitting a Caribbean island. If you think of it that way, it may help feel better about booking with trip insurance.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • We are going to Aruba for our honeymoon the second week of October. We are not staying at an All Inclusive, however in my research I've found that there are a few AI resorts on Aruba. Trip Advisor has been a great resource for me, I suggest you definitely check it out. Although Aruba is technically out of the hurricane belt, we are still planning on getting trip insurance just in case.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_late-september-beach-honeymoon-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:bf895690-16a8-45b6-af71-5c82d8434b05Post:01afea43-a2f8-4a78-a285-da7f3b732ba6">Re: Late September Beach Honeymoon Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You'd be safe from hurricane season in Hawaii, but they have no AI's.  For the Caribbean (which is where most AI's are), Aruba, Bonaire, & Curacao are out of the hurricane belt, so that's another option.  In reality though, you really should just choose where you WANT to go and just buy travel insurance JIC.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

no. hawaii's hurricane season goes until mid-october.
    the ABCs have been hit/near hit (which can be just as bad) beofre but it's much more rare than other islands.

get trip insurance if your hotel/airline cannot issue refundable etc...

• Yeah, I'll echo PP's and say, just get the trip insurance! We went to Antigua on our HM last year from Sept. 23-30 and had no issues whatsoever. We stayed at Galley Bay Resort & Spa which I would completely recommend it. We did it for around 5k for 7 nights, so it might be in your budget (I'm just not 100% on the nightly rates since we went through a travel agent). HTH.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards