Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honeymooning with Food Allergies

We've been researching honeymoon places in the Carribbean or Mexico, but haven't decided on any place yet. My FI has multiple food allergies that make me nervous about taking a trip somewhere. Usually he cooks and brings his own food whenever we travel- we obviously couldn't do this for the honeymoon! 

Does anyone here have allergies (gluten, dairy, soy, etc) and have recommendations? Or know of any good ways to figure out if a resort can accommodate his food needs? 

Thanks! 

Re: Honeymooning with Food Allergies

• Options
    I would simply call the resort.  Ask about their ability to accommodate the allergies.  You'll probably want to ask pretty specific questions--does your FI normally EVER go out to eat?  I'd imagine he'd have to ask the same questions there.
    1.  Are you able to accommodate (gluten, soy, dairy, tomato, whatever) allergies?
    2.  Do your chefs prepare meals for guests with allergies separately from other food?  With clean cutting boards, pans, knives, etc?
    3.  Are you able to guarantee your products come from somewhere that cross contamination will not be an issue?

Many places will not GUARANTEE anything because that makes them liable.  But all you can do is call and ask.  I would also look up food standards in the countries you're considering traveling to.  Many countries do not have the same food standards as the US and most of Europe.  For example, in many countries, it is not uncommon to add wheat ingredients to almost anything to increase fiber/bulk/etc, to be able to sell less product for more money. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I agree with J&K.  

Also I suggest renting an apt, it would be such a shame to miss out on traveling due to allergies.  That way you could cook for yourselves and see great sites. 

• Options
    Whenever I travel to countries where English is not the first language (no matter how many people speak it, or how well), I always get translations of my food allergies and print them out so I can show waiters or waitresses, or (God forbid) a doctor in an emergency.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymooning-food-allergies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:c306a0d9-6f9f-4734-834d-80189d61d68fPost:9b0e6c5a-c2b5-4fd6-8beb-dbaefe38a6c4">Re: Honeymooning with Food Allergies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whenever I travel to countries where English is not the first language (no matter how many people speak it, or how well), I always get translations of my food allergies and print them out so I can show waiters or waitresses, or (God forbid) a doctor in an emergency.
    Posted by krizzo17[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is an excellent idea that I forgot to mention.  There are several online resources for this as well. 

• Options
    J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And also, if any of his allergies require specific medications if there is accidental exposure (like an Epi pen) that you have at home, I would try to get some extra filled to take with you if you can. 

• Options
    what are his allergies specifically?

• Options
    While I usually stay in family homes when I travel to Barbados so I don't have personal experience with specific resorts, many hotels there offer the option to forego purchasing a hotel meal plan, and offer in-suite kitchenettes as well as directions to the nearest grocery store. It may not be your cheapest option, but it's likely a safer bet if you're worried about cross-contamination.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymooning-food-allergies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:c306a0d9-6f9f-4734-834d-80189d61d68fPost:6670abbf-c8df-4024-bcc3-b33906fcd826">Re: Honeymooning with Food Allergies</a>:
    [QUOTE]what are his allergies specifically?
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

<div>Gluten (he eats no grains at all), dairy, soy, corn, and peanuts.</div>
  • Options
    When I was researching Turks and Caicos, almost all of the resorts had full kitchens in the rooms.  Most of the reviewers on Trip Advisor said that they went food shopping and cooked breakfast and lunch in their rooms since the price of meals is pretty high and there are very few AIs.  From the pictures, the kitchens look fantastic! Just thought I'd mention this :) And agree with PP to call ahead and ask, etc. 
    imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards