July 2012 Weddings
Options

Went to a new seamstress today....

First they put some heels on me (3 inch, which I can do).

Then they put various slips under the dress. 

A moderate hoop slip got the dress off the floor to my liking.  Plus it was quite airy under dress as well!  Then she did a one point over bustle with her pin and it worked!  No alien poofy butt!  The lace/satin train laid very nicely and I can totally live with that.  I got that A-line I wanted and it wasn't Disney princess either.

I brought my camera but forgot to put the dang SD card back inside.

The rent slips for $20 or I can buy it for $50.

So in the end, my dress doesn't need anything but an over bustle (she might make it two hooks close together) and a slip -   $40 total!  Well I want a sash and a hair flower too, but that's separate!

YIPPPPEEEE!!!!!

Re: Went to a new seamstress today....

• Options
    Wow that's awesome!! I really hope I get a similar result on my alterations, but I think I'll need to get it taken in a bit :-\.

Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_went-new-seamstress-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d9a00c05-f29d-4893-89d8-3b6405ffc97ePost:7242a2d3-acd1-46cc-9204-45916e80f36c">Re: Went to a new seamstress today....</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's great! I might have misread, but did you go for the lace train or are you keeping the satin?
    Posted by Nati05[/QUOTE]

I kept the dress fully intact - satin and lace together.  It was the cheapest option that gave the closest look I wanted.  Under bustle did not look right; over bustle very similar to the photos I posted a few days ago.

I swore it needed to be hemmed, but the slip did the trick. I thought I'd need 6" heels! Funny how the place where I bought it never mentioned a slip! 

(Check your cake post, Nati!)
  • Options
    See how people are! Your ex seamstress and my maybe baker. I'm sure she just conveniently didn't care to tell you that you could save on alteration costs by getting a slip. Well I'm glad you've found someone else who is interested in actually helping you!

Thanks a ton for the post! I love it! I knew it was do able, I just didn't have the picture to prove it to her haha. Thanks again! :)
  • Options
    yay!!!! Sooo glad things worked out!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards