Honeymoon Discussions
Options

South Pacific..best islands/activities/hotels

We are planning on Tahiti/Bora Bora area for our honeymoon, but can't decide if we want to island hop or stay in one place.  Can anyone suggest ideas for the best islands and hotels? Any suggestions for must-do-activities are also GREATLY appreciated!!

Re: South Pacific..best islands/activities/hotels

• Options
    I'm bias since we honeymooned in Fiji. I'd still love to go to Tahiti, but Fiji was much cheaper and most Fijian resorts are mostly inclusive which means all meals and most activities are included. In Tahiti/Moorea/Bora Bora you have to pay for all your meals and they're pricey.

We stayed at Qamea Resort & Spa, but looking back we wish we had island hopped/resort hopped instead of staying at one resort the whole time. It was definitely amazing, but we now figure we flew all the way out there, we should have seen/experienced more. There are so many islands/beautiful resorts in Fiji that are easily accesible from one another.

We chose Qamea because they only accomodate up to 36 people at a time, and everyone has their own beachfront bure (villa). We stayed in a honeymoon bure which had a private courtyard with an outdoor rock shower and hot tub. We also had a hammock and a day bed on the front deck. Perfect relaxation in paradise.

For activities, we enjoyed hiking to the waterfalls at Bouma National Park, kayaking, snorkeling, and honeymoon beach where they drop you off by boat with a picnic lunch for the afternoon on your own private beach. They also have scuba diving and certification classes.

Tons of pics in my married bio under the honeymoon tab. HTH!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
     Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_south-pacificbest-islandsactivitieshotels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:cdc81376-b14e-4749-8b4a-328c3a3a121ePost:5423e62b-c2f9-4854-9a1d-36c81fa184fa">South Pacific..best islands/activities/hotels</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are planning on Tahiti/Bora Bora area for our honeymoon, but can't decide if we want to island hop or stay in one place.  Can anyone suggest ideas for the best islands and hotels? Any suggestions for must-do-activities are also GREATLY appreciated!!
    Posted by gbeana1508[/QUOTE]

How long are you going for? What do you want to do while you are there? What is your budget? All of those things will dictate where you stay, if you should island hop, and which islands you should visit. Most people tend to split their stay between Moorea and Bora Bora- anywhere from 3-5 nights on each island. If you only have 5 nights, I'd stick with one island. On my first stay, I did something a little different- I split my time between Taha'a and Bora Bora. I wanted something a little off of the beaten path, luxurious, and quiet. The second time I went, I didn't even go to the Societies- I did an all Tuamotu stay, which is definitely something that most people who go don't do unless they are divers. The third time I just did all Moorea. My last two trips were a little more typical I suppose. So, it really depends on what type of vacation you want.

As pp mentioned, Fiji is a bit more budget friendly overall. You cannot get to Fiji from Tahiti, though- so do not expect to include both in one itinerary. Again, which place you go will depend a lot on what type of experience you want to have.

• Options
    mdr619mdr619 member
    First Comment
    We are honeymooning in Tahiti and Moorea!  Found a fantastic deal through a travel agent...round trip airfare, all transfers, 3 nights in Tahiti, 4 in Morrea and breakfast included for $5700! 

Have I mentioned how excited I am?!!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I can only speak for Fiji...We stayed in 5 hotels/resorts in Fiji on 3 islands over +3 weeks.  Only 1 was all-inclusive. Some of the islands were a PIA to get to.  We rented a car to go around Viti Levu but must say it is not for the faint of heart.  The roads are crazy.  50% of the population are Indian and this influences the culture and cooking.  I don't eat Indian cooking and it was hard to find food in towns.  The Fijians in the less touristy areas and islands are wonderful.  It is much more prrimitive than the other places and tends to be less luxorious. If you are llooking to relax and not explore, make sure you stay on an island.  Viti Levu's beaches are not as great.  However, Intercontinential near Nadi had a phenom. beach.  Not to discourage Fiji but it really depends on what you want to do and your budget.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards