Honeymoon Discussions

Santorini Honeymoon

Has anyone ever been to Santorini or any of the nearby Greek islands for their honeymoon?  My FI and I are going in June, we have decided to stay in one of the smaller towns,  Imerovigl, so that we can enjoy eachother's company.  I would love to hear what people have done and any ideas.
We are going for two weeks because the flight is the most expensive part of the trip so we thought we would take advantage of the situation.  He just got a new job and I am looking so we were able to tell our employers or future employers what was already planned and booked! So lucky!!!
Thank you!!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"

Re: Santorini Honeymoon

• I have been to Santorini, Mykonos and Athens.  Santorini is so beautiful.  I went with a friend 3 years ago.  We did this boat excursion that takes you to a volcano to hike then you swim in hot springs.  The boat drops you off at the bottom of a hill we rode donkeys up to the top of the hill to get to the main town.  I was scared sh*tless b/c they walk up these steep steps but it was amazing!!

Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • We went on our honeymoon in Sept 2010 and it was the most amazing place I have ever been! We stayed at Andronis Luxury Suites and were treated like a king and queen! That is in the village of Oia and it's what you see in movies (white churches with blue roofs, stone streets, little shops and taverns all along the caldera). We hung out by the pool a lot, went to amazing dinners, got massages. I cannot wait to go back! Probably at our 10 year anniversary since it was so expensive and we are having children now. Santorini is a dream!
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Do the blue lagoon Dinner and sunset cruise. We love it.
  • Since you'll have to at least fly into Athens (or should) I'd recommend spending a day or two in Athens and going to the (still somewhat new) Parthenon Museum and walking up to the top where the Parthenon is.  It's one of those things that you kind of just need to do while in Greece :)  We also went to the Olympic Stadium (the old one) and it was really neat.

You'll love the islands and exploring the beaches and eating all the great food!
  • Santorini is wonderful. I recommend renting ATVs to get around the island. The buses are not super reliable, and though they do have some very reasonable car rentals, the ATVs let you really take in everything differently than a car. You drive them on the shoulder of the roads--it was a little freaky at first, but very fun once I got used to it!
  • msaputramsaputra member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2012
    We went to Athens, Mykonos, Santorini for our 1 year anniversary.
    I posted reviews on my blog: http://darcela.blogspot.com/2011/05/greece-anniversary-trip.html Let me know if you have any questions!

Note: Edited the link to remove the extra dot :)
  • thanks Msaputra, I tried to follow the link but it told me it could not be found, If you can re-tye it I would love t read about your adventure and get some ideas!!!
  • Oops, sorry my link had an extra dot in it.

Here's the link, hope it works :)

• msaputra thanks so much for the link!! I really enjoyed reading your blog!!
  • You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it :)
    Let me know if you have any other question!
    Did you already find your hotels? Otherwise, I can give you some recommendations based on my trip and research!
  • Oh good! You're going to have a great time in Santorini.

No need for international drivers license for renting car in Greece, US drivers license is acceptable.

One thing that we missed or wished we had done was to stay longer in Santorini (3 nights was too short) and also to visit Amoudi Bay.  I think we spent too much time visiting the various black/red sand beach and it would have been enough to visit one and used the time to visit Amoudi Bay instead.

Also, if you do decide to do the caldera massage: http://www.santorini-gr.com/Massage.htm make sure to book it way in advance since we booked last minute and ended up only can book separate massage and not couples massage, and it had to be indoor since it was at night. It would have been nice to actually be able to experience the massage on the terrace! :)
  • Thanks msaputra!!  If i do get a message it will be just me for whatever reason my FI will just not get a couples message with me.  I have tried it in many locations on vacations and al but he just isn't into it.  Luckily he will nd has pampered me!
  • We got engaged in Santorini so I am partial.  As for any of the islands-Explore!  We had the best dinner at Dimitri's in Ammouldi.  It was amazing at sunset.  Visit the wineries.  The vines grow on the ground.  If you are going to Sant. by ferry, get your camera ready as you come around the island and see the cliffs, it will blow your mind.  However, I must say that it is worth the cost to fly there. 
    Two weeks seems long to stay there.  Personally, I wouldn't do much over a week.  Spend the other days on different islands, maybe a day or two doing the tourist stuff in Athens.
  • Yea we are def going to go to different islands and maybe athens.  We just couldn't see spending all that money on the flight than staying for so little time.  We are most likely just going to fly to Santorini from Philadelphia or Newark then obviously have layovers on the way but I read that the boat trip can take up to like 10 hours or something certain times and due to the weather?  I just don't want to be travelling for that long!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards